PDA

View Full Version : gas check below the neck

nextone2
06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I am loading some 30-30's and 308's with cast bullets. The gas check is below the neck. Is there any harm in this? I remember reading something about it a long time ago.

JeffinNZ
06-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Try it and see. Some chambers like it. Some don't.

Alex Hamilton
06-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I am loading some 30-30's and 308's with cast bullets. The gas check is below the neck. Is there any harm in this? I remember reading something about it a long time ago.
I load 308W, 303Brit and 7.62X54R Mosin-Nagant. With some bullets I have no option but to seat them so that the gas checks are below the neck, otherwise the cartridge will not chamber fully and I cannot close the bolt. After extensive tests I have not detected that these rounds are any less accurate than those seated with gas checks within the neck. Although the lubricant in the grooves below the neck will get blown off, provided you have one groove with lubricant within the neck you will still get adequate lubrication and good accuracy.

RobS
06-16-2010, 06:22 PM
The only part I don't like about a gas check below the neck is the "what if" scenario. It is hard to pull of a gas check most of the time but.................should one come off in the case a nice surprise is awaiting.

I opted for a bore riding designs so I could seat the bullet out further and bypass the gas check seating below the neck. I maybe a bit precautious although I like that way. With that though I have only read of a KABOOM with this particular scenario and have not know of anyone personally who has blown their gun apart due to a gas check issue.

res45
06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
I shoot a couple different cast bullets in my 300 Sav. lever gun with the GC below the neck,I haven't had any problems with accuracy. The few bullets I have recovered all had the GC still intact.

qajaq59
06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
I have no need to do that in my 30-30, but I have done it in the .308 with no bad results. It might have been a problem with the old Lyman GC that did not crimp on. But the Hornady's grip pretty tight these days. But of course it is your rifle and your decision.

Shiloh
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't do it. However if it fits tight and is crimped on, I would think it would be okay.

Shiloh

Bret4207
06-17-2010, 07:42 AM
I worried about that for years. I still don't like it with my "snap on and pray it stays" GC boolits shot "as cast", but for those run through a sizer I've yet to see an issue crop up.

qajaq59
06-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I should have mentioned that. I run all of them thru the sizer after I put the GC on.