PDA

View Full Version : Buy .22 cals cast bullets

Bull45cal
06-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Where is the best place to buy .22 cast lead bullets. I would use them for fire forming and .22 subsonic loads. I'm looking for bullets in the 40-60gr. range, but wouldn't be opposed to something heavier. I have seen a couple online suppliers, but their prices are about the same as jacketed. Any thoughtful suggestions would be appreciated.

DLCTEX
06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Check with Bullshop, find him at the bottom of the page.

shooting on a shoestring
06-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Welcome Bull45cal....Just FYI, I cast a couple of different .22 cal boolits, and they are pretty tough to cast well. The thirty cals and higher do cast easier. That probably has more to do with price than anything. I've never bought any or seen any for sale. Just be aware, they are hard to cast.

Hey, maybe you need to buy a mould instead...just a thought.

BTW, I shoot mine in .22 Hornet and .223 as fast at 2700 w/o leading. It seems the little ones go faster easier.

DIRT Farmer
06-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I have been shooting the Lyman 225-415 almost as long as the 30 cals. When money and supplies are tight the 22 Hornet is the way to go. Don't let any one scare you off, Just start casting, after 40 + years the mould gets cheep and with a 22 you cand find almost enough wild WWs laying on the road.

Bullshop
06-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Why would jacketed be worth more?
BIC/BS

reloader28
06-16-2010, 11:49 PM
I have the Seaco mold and mine casts almost easier than any of my other molds. I love it.
Dont know how they shoot yet as I havent loaded any. I'm going to try to make a load for 223WSSM.
Dont know how that will work.

Jack Stanley
06-17-2010, 08:07 AM
BIC/BS

More ??? I dunno , perhaps some figure the labor involved is more to get a bullet to sell .

I do know that of the few different twenty-two molds I've tried , all of them seem to like being ladle cast with the old Lyman dipper that has the snout on it . They didn't like the RCBS or a open ladle and they really didn't like bottom pour .

Quite a change for me since I normally do bottom pour for about everything :coffeecom

Bull45cal
06-17-2010, 09:13 AM
BIC/BS

Should just stick to jacketed huh?

GabbyM
06-17-2010, 01:01 PM
There is no automated equipment for placing gas checks I know of. It's all hand work and slow going. Takes just as long to make 22's as it does to make 30's.

Bullshop
06-17-2010, 01:53 PM
It was just a question. You and others seem to have the idea that jacketed bullets are worth more than cast boolits of the same weight and caliber.
I am just curious as to why some people think that.
There are different grades of jacketed bullets as well as cast boolits. Some are low quality for blasting and others of higher quality for more precision work.
I think through ignorance and inexperience some folks only associate cast boolits with low quality blasting grade. I often get folks that stop at my table at a gun show and tell customers not to shoot those lead boolits because they will ruin their gun, ignorance.
I generally ask what do they base that statement on then try to give information that they may use to come to an informed opinion.
I dont try too battle it much anymore because there are enough folks enlightened to the true facts that I am kept plenty busy.
I mean no offence to you personally by this that I have written so please dont take offence. I was just curious as to why you thought that way, that one would be of more value than another of equal quality?
BIC/BS

wistlepig1
06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
More ??? I dunno , perhaps some figure the labor involved is more to get a bullet to sell .

I do know that of the few different twenty-two molds I've tried , all of them seem to like being ladle cast with the old Lyman dipper that has the snout on it . They didn't like the RCBS or a open ladle and they really didn't like bottom pour .

Quite a change for me since I normally do bottom pour for about everything :coffeecom

I figure my 22 cal bullits are worth about $28 a piece as hard as they are to cast and have yet to get them to work well in my Hornet, or maybe worthless.:holysheep:sad:
I think my next "try" will be ladle casting to see if that helps with the @@@@ 22's.

badgeredd
06-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I figure my 22 cal bullits are worth about $28 a piece as hard as they are to cast and have yet to get them to work well in my Hornet, or maybe worthless.:holysheep:sad:
I think my next "try" will be ladle casting to see if that helps with the @@@@ 22's.

Little boolits like to be run HOT and FAST. It took me a while to get the hang of it but once you do you will be able to cast anything with very little trouble. I disagree that the ladle is better though. Maybe it is for some but for others, a bottom pour furnace seems to work well also. The big thing with them tiny ones is heat!

Edd

DIRT Farmer
06-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I honestly never noticed much difference between big or little bullets except the mould takes longer to heat if casting to heat it, and the mould generaly will allow you to keep casting faster longer. The bigger moulds will begin to take longer to get the lead to set. I use bottom pour lee and have used side pour ladle. I can't see any differance if I use the same care to fill the mould. Boolits are good any where from stright WWAC to up to 10 % tin. 1/2 in at 50 1 1/4 at 100 in two 22 hornets starting to work on a 222. Better groups at 100 from Mini 14 with the 225-415 and 225-646 than FMJ with Rx 7. I may some day buy a box of jacketed some day but as I no longer work as a police officer, I'm not sure why, as cast will equal or excede most except target bullets at the same speed.

DLCTEX
06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
+1 on the hot and fast. I cast 22's with two different moulds, 225-438 and the Lee Bator 55 gr. and find them to be easy to cast. Gas checking and sizing is a little slower than the larger cals., but not much. A 10# pot will make a lot of them.

wistlepig1
06-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Yesterday, I was pouring at 700-710, is that hot enough. I was using my L 438 , wd WW with about 1-1 1/2 % tin add. After the first culling I put then on the PACT, 45.1- 45.9grs with most at 45.4-7grs. Bottom feed Lee, fluxed with sawdust often. What an I missing?

I will try my Bator, if it ever comes (ordered 12/7/09)
Thanks