PDA

View Full Version : new RANCH DOG & Fat 44 RESULTS!!

jeff223
08-12-2006, 05:13 PM
i have now cast a few boolits from both new molds

here are the measurements i got from both molds.i was in a hurry and didnt clean the molds very good like i should have but this will give you some idea of what to expect

the new "RANCH DOG" mold drops boolits out at .430 to .431

the "FAT 44" mold drops boolits out at .433 to .434

i used wheel weight lead with alittle solder added to help with mold fillout

i hope you guys get a fatter boolit than i did with your new RANCH DOG molds.i guess this would make a great boolit for guns with a smaller bore size,say a .429 or somewhat bigger.sorry!!

jeff223
08-12-2006, 05:17 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Dutch4122
08-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Looks like the Fat .44 came out to the specs we wanted. Glad to see you'll be shipping them out on Monday.

It's absolutely pitiful that Lee has now cut the Ranch Dog six cavity molds 3 times and still hasn't got them right.

My hat is off to you Jeff because you sure have gone above and beyond!

steveb
08-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Man I sure wished I would have gotten one ofthose fat 44's . I got a brand spankin new Ranch Dog anyone wanna trade[smilie=1: :-D

jeff223
08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
i wish there would have been more in on this deal too.we had a total of 13 buyers in on this one and thats including me.the fat 44 boolits are very nice looking too.they have a nice big lube grove and three crimp groves.it should work out in alot of guns

steveb
08-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Should have gotten in on it and I snooze I lose I guess but I want something plain base. CONGRATS guys.

Newtire
08-13-2006, 12:08 PM
OK...got up early and ,after casting a few more funny looking boolits, gave things a closer viewing. I took a sharp pick and a magnifying glass and cleaned out the crud in the grooves of the Ranch Dog 44 mould. With that done, and a fresh wipe with a Q-tip of Napa Graphite Spray (Thanks Sundog & StarMetal Joe), I began to cast up a new batch. Both Air-Cooled and Water-Dropped WW. Casting with heat up to Max on Lee Production Pot.

Here's the results:
Gas Check Shank=.400"...Gas Checks fit like a dream.
Lands=.431"-.432" (Mostly .432")
Weght=271 gr.

For those of you absolutely needing a minimum .432", my mould would do for you almost. Still, it is not doing a solid .432"+. Mine is perfect for me actually as I have used nothing but .431" in my .444 Marlin and this Ruger Deerfield likes them too.

I would like to say thanks to Jeff again for all the follow-up!

Too bad that Lee just can't seem to get it that we would like a "minimum" .432".

Anyway, I am happy with mine and will be keeping it.