PDA

View Full Version : She was so classy I could not resist or say no!

Char-Gar
08-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Droped by the local hock shop and there set a minty Mossberg 146-B rifle. By minty I am talking about an easy 98% metal and wood. The only blue wear was on the bolt handle and end thingie on the magazine tube. No serious scratches or dings on the stock. These have not been made since about the late 50's. At 7 lbs of steel and walnut, it is a grown up size 22 RF rifle.

It us a mid-50 vintage with the receiver grooved for the "tip-off" scope mounts. The front sight has four different pop-up posts and the barrel mounted rear has a rotating blade the goes from U notch to aperture.

It is missing the receiver sight that came from the factory. Anybody have one or know where one can be found?

I don't need it, but at $90.00 out the door, I brought her home to keep her from falling into bad company. I would hate to see somebody buy this fine old rifle and let it rattle around in the bed of a pickup for a couple of years.

Should make a nice gift for some grandkid..should last a couple more lifetimes.

9.3X62AL
08-12-2006, 05:30 PM
That is a GREAT find, sir. I wish I could help with the aperture sight acquisition.

I have a Marlin 22 autoloader I take out and work on every so often, a Super A-1. Triple K had magazines for it, I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the two boltsprings that act as both recoil springs and firing pin springs to sing in the same key. It'll fire fine, but getting the spring rate correct has eluded me to date. When a Ruger 10-22 that cost 75 bucks works flawlessly and shoots accurately--it poses something of a disincentive to further work on the pre-war Marlin. Kind of a Rube Goldberg arrangement, really.

Cliff
08-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Which type of reciever sight does this use? Is it the one that swings off to the side mounted on the rear? I might know of someone who has one available. This is the type I have seen on a lot of the Mossbergs.

Char-Gar
08-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Cliff... Yep...That is the sight...attatched to the back rear of the receiver with two pretty big screws. The were a couple of different models, but I think they are pretty much interchangable. Who has it?

223tenx
08-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Chargar,
You can get Mossberg parts from
www.havlinsales.com

Cliff
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Chargar I sent you a PM about the sight to obtain your mailing address. I will send it forwith, monday or tuesday. Good Luck.

Char-Gar
08-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Cliff.. I got it thanks... I will reimburse you for the postage.

PatMarlin
08-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Us younsters need pics.. :mrgreen:

Rod B
08-13-2006, 10:19 PM
What a great find.

When did "need"have anything to do with buying a gun?:mrgreen:

Yes, must have pics please.

Rod.;-)

LAH
08-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Nice find.........Creeker

Explorer1
08-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Great gun, I got one for the step-son last year but he wanted a Henry lever so it past to another good home.

Thing was nearly as accurate as my tricked our CZ benchrest 22, much more consistent than I.

Must admit I paid about 3 times that for the one I had, some things you can't pass up!

Bucks Owin
08-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Us younsters need pics.. :mrgreen:

Dittos!

Char-Gar
08-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Boys... My digital camera is a *** and I am ashamed to post photos made with it. When the metal gets back from Accurate Plating and Weaponry and my NRA Sporter is all put together, I will break out the old Nikon F2 and take some real photos, scan them etc. I will do the Mossberg at that time as well.

versifier
08-19-2006, 01:27 PM
My dad has one that belonged to my great uncle. It is the reason I am so into peep sights, having been shooting it since I was a child. While not as easily adjustable as one might wish, it has three aperture holes in a plate that rotates through about a 60* arc, and interchangable front posts under a hood. It's rugged and dependable. I have no idea where you can get the sight, but get it you should. Even if you should be unsuccessful in your quest, I'm sure there's a Williams sight that could be adapted.