PDA

View Full Version : 45 cals curiosity

justingrosche
06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Last night I did some casting for 45 cals . I cast the 454190, from 2 different molds, an old single cavity, and a brand new DC. The SC produced weights at 255 gr. which is what I have come to expect from the this mold with #2 duplicate. The DC dropped them at 250 gr. I guessed this would be understandable to a point, so I measured the length of the SC Boolit and it is .008 longer than the DC's. Ok so easily enough explained.
Then I was checking weight on two others that I was casting at the same time as 454190's. One of them is the 452424 DC which is a new to me mold, but in like new condition. Its advertised weight is 255 gr. but was dropping for me at 247 gr. I could discount that as just a peculiarity of this mold if it weren't for the other mold I was casting with, a DC 452423 and a 452374 in the same mold block. The 423's advertised weight is 238gr. but was dropping at 245. I would have said that the alloy was off except the 374 was dropping at exactly 225gr. right where its supposed to be. So the 452424 is 9gr. light and the 452423 is 7 gr heavy.. and two others the SC 454190 and the 374 are dead nutz. So what gives?
Justin

geargnasher
06-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Production tolerances at Lyman are more like "ballpark" rather than "strike zone".

If you want to get what you pay for order a custom mould from one of the many makers, most of the time they will give you weight and detailed "as cast" dimensions with a particular alloy, and you can count on it being right.

Gear

XWrench3
06-15-2010, 03:15 PM
i have never found the EXACT weight of a cast boolit to mean that much. you are going to have to work up a load for each boolit anyway. and i can not imagine ANY game animal or target complaining about being shot by a boolit a couple of grains one way or another. in other words, don't sweat the small stuff. there are enough serious things in life that will stress you out and shorten you life. don't let a boolit do that to you!

justingrosche
06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
I was thinking it as a funny curiosity than a dilemma. If I was shooting silhouette, I might be more worried about hitting the "strike zone" as you put it. But I'm just a handgunner looking to shoot for cheap. Which reminds me... damn I spend a lot of money on molds!

Echo
06-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Which reminds me... damn I spend a lot of money on molds!

Just now noticing that?

All listed weights are nominal - I really don't care whether there is a disparity between the listed weight and what mine turn out to be, We should be more concerned with our capability in maintaining a fairly consistant weight, with little variability among the boolits.

fryboy
06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
lolz @ " But I'm just a handgunner looking to shoot for cheap. Which reminds me... damn I spend a lot of money on molds!"

that one DC with different cast sounds interesting to say the least ! i have an old old single cavity lee ( one of my first molds as a matter of fact ) for the 44 cal black powder 44's ,it's a slow but nice mold ,so a few years ago i bought the same in double cavity ( u know a lil more production ...) on the dbl cavity one is bigger than the other and weighs an average of 4.5 grains more yet both are lighter than ye olde single cavity ... with manufactures who use cherries ( such as lyman ) alot has to do with the cherry , first mold cut may be on the money ( or a lil bigger) last mold cut with the cherry should be thrown away IMHO as it will undoubtably be smaller
another case .i bought a double cavity 40 caliber mold listed at 175 ....tryin to approximate the alloy lee states they design molds for ( erm use for their testing) i still come up heavier ( i'm also thinking of shaving this one down just to get rid of the very slight bevel - that would possibly also make it throw what they say
my last two molds are both lyman's one is the 452374 DVHP ..it's listed at 180 grains ...i make both of lyman's #2 recipes ( often mix them after that but ...) even with straight lino ( which i dont want to use ) it cast at 198-ish with #2 averages 202 .....now the 5 grains off in the lee suddenely isnt looking so bad lolz ( well compared to the 20 off that lyman states ....) my other newer mold is the 225415 supposed to throw 55 grainers ....lubed and gas checked i dont think i have one yet that is there -all alloys tried are lighter ( just the opposite of the other mold ...good thing we are handloaders and can work with it lolz )