PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ranch Dog

Bigscot
08-12-2006, 03:08 AM
RD,

I don't know if this has been addressed but I have a question about the RD group buy we're trying to get straightened out. I will be using the boolit for deer hunting mainly in a .44 mag rifle and wanted to know if I should use them air cooled or water dropped. I currently shoot a 250 gr RCBS K air cooled.
Just wondering.

Bigscot

drinks
08-12-2006, 01:03 PM
If both give acceptable accuracy, it would be mostly a matter of if the a/c is leading at the velocity your are using, then you would go the harder w/c to see if that will stop the leading.
But, there are more than one causes of leading.

Ranch Dog
08-12-2006, 02:07 PM
drinks is right... it kind of depends what the boolit and barrel are doing. Either air or water cooled is going to kill that deer. If the air cooled bullets are preforming well from your rifle at a velocity you like, then I wouldn't bother with the water. It's really related to PSI in the chamber and out the barrel, not velocity. The harder the boolit, the harder you can push it.

I've killed a lot of critters with this bullet cast from a 28 to 31 BHN. It kills a whitetail deer dead quick. I always use a quartering to broadside shot through the lungs. I did shoot a mule deer buck completely through from back to front as it was running away.

Junior1942
08-12-2006, 02:27 PM
>I did shoot a mule deer buck completely through from back to front as it was running away.

Velocity, gun, distance, details, etc., please!

44man
08-12-2006, 03:07 PM
The proper meplat, no expansion needed! Accuracy and lack of leading come first.
Can't stop them boolits in a deer either.

Bigscot
08-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was curious if the the air cooled would expand slightly. I can't wait to try it.
By the way, I received the 3rd installment of the RD boolit today. I have not opened it up yet..

Bigscot

StarMetal
08-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Junior,

I shot an Ohio Whitetail buck through and through facing me with a Model 94 Winchester Trapper in 45 Colt, 255 gr RCBS SWC ac WW's moving at 1600 fps at the distance of about 30 yards.

Joe