PDA

View Full Version : Its that time again.....

dk17hmr
08-11-2006, 10:51 PM
To start shooting bow serious again.
I have always shot bow off and on most of the year, but with less then 2 months left for opener, it is time to get serious again. Even less because my bear season starts on the 25 of September.

I shot about 50 arrows this morning and about 50 tonight. I shot out to 30 yards but with the wind blowin (excuse time) I only managed 4" group at 30 yards. I only shoot 65 pounds but my arrows are like missles at 280 fps. Normally 4" is what I shoot at 60 yards, but I have been out of practice.

Gave my Reflex (copy of a Hoyt)a tune up tonight, making sure all the allen screws are tight, pivots are lubed, string is waxed, and my release is smooth.

The 3d shoots start around here in a few weeks so Ill be getting lots of practice in before bear or deer season starts.

waksupi
08-11-2006, 11:38 PM
We shoot during our lunch breaks at work everyday. We're all traditional shooters, so four inches at thirty yards would be tasty gravy. We're happy to keep them in a good cluster at twenty yards, as none of us have ever killed anything over 25, and most average about 15-17 yards on a kill for deer, and sometimes much closer on elk. I got a recurve from Drew last fall, and I do believe, it has me trained well enough, to make meat with it now.

MGySgt
08-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Waksupi - If you Make Meat with it I want pictures!

I think it is great that that bow is shooting again!

Drew

Four Fingers of Death
08-12-2006, 09:15 AM
I like the look of recurves and especially long bows ( I used to make my own rough ones when I was a teenager, but as my handle suggests, I onl habe 4 fingers and the missing one is my right ring finger. I find the traditional bows a bit hard to use and got a compound and have started using a release, much improved. I will have to get a longow one day, even if I have to use a release with it. Mick.

357maximum
08-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Hey four fingers

Have you ever tried "APACHE DRAW" ie. where all fingers you use are under the arrow? I use my index,middle,and ring fingers under the arrow when I shoot longbow, or recurve works alot better for me than the split method, maybe if you were to use the other three fingers it might work for you. I know a skeet shooter who went from righty to lefty due to an eye injury and in a year he was right back in the swing of things, anything is possible if you want it bad enough HUH.

I would have to learn how to pick my nose all over again, in your situation. What happened?

DISCLAIMER:
***If I offended anyone with the word "APACHE" I appologize in advance***

Jumptrap
08-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey four fingers

DISCLAIMER:

If you offended anybody...THEY can get over it and if that doesn't work, then they can eat dung and die. HAR! I am tired of folks feeling compelled to apologise for saying something that might be misconstrued by some sulking Liberal in the crowd. screw'em, this is America, speak your mind and be happy.

bruce drake
08-12-2006, 02:23 PM
No offense taken. You were describing a type of draw that has been identified with the Apache Indian style of shooting. It's called an Adjective in this context.

If someone was offended they are way over the deep end and sucking doughnuts down with the PC Cops somewhere.

Bruce

StarMetal
08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
The way I see the Indians named themselves to separate the tribes. Like take Europe, we have Germans, Italian, French, etc. I don't see calling an Indian by his trible nationality as an insult. I respect them, love their different names and sorry they haven't been treated equally in this country. I don't see calling them Native Americans either, that bunches them together. What's the white Americans called Native Immigranters?

Joe

dk17hmr
08-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I did a little better today shooting bow, only shot about 50 arrows tonight. I shot 10 yards (just to make sure of sighting) 20 yards, 35 yards, 50 yards. At 20 yards I put 9 out of 12 into the bullseye the other 3 we around the bull . 35 yards was doing pretty good about 3" 3 shot group.

Normally I limit my shots to 35 yards on game animals but I like to shoot longer distances just because. 50 yards I kept 3 shots on the 8"x11" paper target I had on my target block.

Four Fingers of Death
08-13-2006, 09:15 AM
I meant I got a compound bow, I have just edited the post. I'll try that way. We used to call it the girl's grip in australia, becuse when girls pick up a bow they seem to naturally want to sit their fingers under the arrow and guys seem to naturally straddle it.

Isuppose that is a sexist view, but thats what it was called when I was a kid.

Did you hear about the guy driving along, and as he approached a bend a sportcar with a woman came the other way and she shouted 'PIG!' at him. He spun around in his seat as she flashed by and yelled 'Bi@%h!' before he got his eyes back on the road properly he slammed into a pig that had got through the fence of the farm and had been hit by a truck!. MIck

357maximum
08-13-2006, 12:14 PM
DISCLAIMER:

It's called sarcasm, and an attempt at being funny, not very well executed in either respect apparently.

dk17hmr
08-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I just had my old Bear Recurve 35# out with those Flu-Flu arrows, I think thats what they are called, the ones with the big fletching. I was try to shoot a plastic pop bottle out of the air. I shot about 100 arrows at this thing, after I threw it, only hit it twice. Need a little more practice at flight shooting, actually kinda fun.