PDA

View Full Version : Fire Lapping out a chamber throat

Wayne S
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I have a rifle with a short throat that requires seating the GC well below the case's neck.
I'm wondering if anyone has ever fire lapped out a chamber's throat for a better seating condition.

kywoodwrkr
06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Wayne,
I'm far from an expert(has been drip under pressure) but I think you need a throat reamer(Doesn't sound nor look right!) anyway it reams the leade for a barrel..
I have one with removable pilot for the 30 caliber family. Well some of it anyway.
Have regular pilot and one for the K31(Swiss) barrels.
If you'd like to borrow it you are welcome to it.
Contact via PM if so.
Thanks.

KCSO
06-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Lappin won't work here you need a piloted reamer. If you are handy you can make your own D reamer on the lathe. If not you will need a trip to the Brownell's catalog.

44man
06-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Don't even try it. Get it reamed.

Wayne S
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks, It's a 7 TCU so I'll look at remer rentals to take a little off the leading lands

geargnasher
06-14-2010, 02:36 PM
How 'bout a shorter boolit?

Gear

303Guy
06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Don't even try it. Get it reamed. Absolutely!

Hoever, to answer the question, yes you can fire-lap out the throat. You should end up with a throat and bore that resembles an old 303 Brit fed a steady diet of cordite ammo. The rifling might stay sharper at the throat end. The bore would also end up tapering down to the muzzle. One could do this until the boolit seats firmly into an unsized case and still chambers freely. (I have such a rifle - cordite fed. It shoots).

But ..... Don't!:violin: