PDA

View Full Version : Part One: The Making Of The Movie "Gettysburg"

Linstrum
08-11-2006, 12:16 PM
This is ‘way different from the kind of “life in the military” type reminiscing you guys have been talking about here lately. This harkens back to the Civil War even though it took place exactly fourteen years ago.

July 4th of 1992 was the second day of the 129th anniversary of The Battle of Gettysburg, and September 19th 1992 was the 129th of Lincoln’s most famous speech, The Gettysburg Address that he gave there in memory to those just fallen. In 1992 the movie Gettysburg was filmed on location there at Gettysburg National Cemetery and Memorial in Pennsylvania. It’s a great movie and I think it is acceptably accurate. Before starting work, the movie’s production team spread the word that they needed Civil War re-enactors as movie extras and invited any and all who could get there on their own. For all who showed up, they were given a place to bivouac on privately owned land next to the Cemetery and they would be fed twice a day. In return the re-enactors had to have correct uniforms and equipment, as well as speak and behave in period manner since film crews would be roaming around filming them. If you saw the movie you know that thousands answered the call and showed up, and without them the movie could not have been made.

One of those who participated was my life-long buddy and compadre. He is into black powder weapons of the Confederacy besides doing Civil War and Mexican War period re-enactments, doing several every year all over California and Nevada. A very large number of re-enactors are Vietnam Vets and the re-enacting serves as an effective catharsis for them. Doing the Gettysburg 129th Anniversary Re-enactment plus being part of the movie were especially significant experiences for them. The re-enactors were camped out in very authentic bivouac conditions, with authentic tents and bedrolls. They ate authentic foods with navy beans, boiled cabbage, hardtack biscuits, corn pone, hush puppies, and fried dough dogs being their daily repast. Until "honey wagons" and portable showers were brought in, camp sanitation was unfortunately also authentic. Reveille, roll call, drill, and Taps (Taps was composed during the Civil War in 1862 by Union General Daniel Adams Butterfield and was immediately adopted by the Confederacy as well), and other period routines were performed daily whether cameras were rolling or not. For those of you who saw the movie, the scene when General Lee was enthusiastically greeted by his troops was not part of the script and the cameras initially were not rolling when the re-enactors spontaneously greeted Martin Sheen and several other key actors when they took a horseback get-acquainted ride through the Cemetery dressed as Confederate General Lee and his staff. A quick-thinking camera operator got most of it, fortunately. Every night, hundreds of campfires were burning and a lot of the requisite Southern sipping whiskey, along with regular beer and wine, were consumed around those nightly campfires. Also, during the Civil War it was not unheard of for a soldier’s family to be present, especially among the Confederates, and my buddy along with many other re-enactors were accompanied by their wives and children, who were all in period dress and performed period camp-follower activities at the Confederate and Union camps.

One evening my compadre, his wife, and another couple were walking the several miles back from the modern town of Gettysburg to their bivouac. They had splurged and gone out to dinner at a restaurant rather than put up with another authentic meal of pork and beans, boiled cabbage, and corn pone or hush puppies that night. It was around 11:00 PM when they left Gettysburg and they had no idea that around midnight they would also be walking from 1992 right into the middle of the evening of July 3, 1863. Gettysburg and Antietam are reportedly among the most haunted places in America and it is no wonder, with more men being violently killed there in a matter of days than in all of Vietnam, at EACH battle. The ironic thing about Gettysburg is that it started on July 3 and on The Fourth of July, 1863, the fireworks were quite real, as well as quite deadly. There are many eerie and strange things heard and seen in and around the cemetery, day or night, and during re-enactments there these unexplainable incidents increase dramatically, most likely due to the increased number of visitors along with the large amounts of “enlightening serum” consumed in the evenings that enables such things to be detected much, much better, especially late at night. Along the sides of the road they were walking on they heard things off in the bushes and woods that made them unwilling to ever again walk there alone at night. My buddy told me that what they heard were not mysterious animal whistles and hoots, loud shouting or anything overt like that, but there was a distinct hubbub of voices just off “over there” and occasional words could be made out quite distinctly. It was not at all quiet like in most peaceful country settings. What they heard “just over there” two hundred or so feet away ranged from laughter and animated conversation to the moans of dying men and tears being shed for dead loved ones, just the sorts of things that would have been heard there just before, during, and after the several days of murderous battle129 years earlier. The spookiest part of it, though, was seeing the fleeting movements in the darkness and shadows under the trees that they caught out of the corners of their eyes as they walked along, like they were being followed and checked out by sentry pickets trying to determine if they were friend or foe. Of course there was nobody there, but the phenomenon persisted for far too many miles along the road for it to be coming from a distant unseen radio or TV with the volume turned up high. When they came within earshot of their own encampment at about 1 AM, the mysterious voices and the fleeting figures in the shadows faded and were replaced by the subdued conversations and laughter of those who were still up tending the campfires and enjoying a last sip of whiskey and pipe-full of Cherry Blend before going to bed. When my buddy’s party got back to camp and they mentioned what they had just experienced walking along the lonely road, they were told that it is quite common and folks hear it all the time there, even when it is raining. The next day the National Park Rangers assigned to oversee their operations verified the phenomenon.

Linstrum
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
(Continued from above)
The most common rifle used by the Union Army at that time of Gettysburg was the muzzle loading .58 caliber Springfield rifled musket. At 500 yards it will put its approximately 500-grain hollow-based conical projectile, called a Minie ball, through six inches of pine boards. That is pretty darned powerful! The various rifles used by the Confederate Army included captured .58 caliber Springfields and .577 caliber Enfields purchased from the British that were pretty similar in performance to the Springfield. Both sides used the .54-caliber British Whitworth for one-mile sniper work quite effectively, the proof of that being the large numbers of caissons on both sides that suddenly and mysteriously blew up, besides numerous officers shot off their horses far from the front lines.

Ted Turner was the big money behind making the movie and while it was being filmed he spent his free time hanging out watching the movie being made, and he became no stranger to the re-enactors, donning a Union officer’s uniform and being one of the extras besides a royal pain between the hip pockets. At the time Turner was producing “Gettysburg” he was still married to Jane Fonda. One day it was announced by the unit directors to the extras that her majesty Jane would be touring the set in two or three days and for everyone to behave nicely in her presence. A quiet ripple of conversation quickly spread throughout the Union and Confederate camps about what would be the best way to take advantage of the situation, since no better opportunity to meet the actress in person while off of her own turf and in the middle of theirs would likely ever happen again! There were easily 2000 Vietnam Vets there and every one of them would have liked very much to shake her hand. Among other things, of course.

The next day those in charge got wind of some rumors flying about and the word was put out that all of the re-enactors could no longer carry their bayonets, ramrods, or Minie balls. They were allowed to keep powder and caps since those are what the re-enactors used during battle scenes to make their rifles go BANG and produce the requisite haze of smoke, but all projectiles and real bayonets were out of the possession of extras from that point onward. In practice, re-enactors do not carry ramrods anyway since they can become inadvertent deadly projectiles when accidentally left in the bore after loading paper wadding for blank firing. When firing in battle re-enactments, the powder is simply poured down by gravity and the barrels are adequately long for enough pressure to develop to make a good loud report without any wadding. In a few days plastic bayonets were supplied to keep their rifles looking authentic. The excuse for replacing the bayonets was that too many re-enactors had been accidentally stabbed in the butt from behind while going up ditch banks and over the split rail fences and rock walls, but everyone knew the real reason why the pointy objects and their Minie balls had been prohibited. When she did show up, she sat up high in a shaded wheel tower otherwise used by the camera crews to get bird’s eye view shots. She pranced about in tight shorts holding a parasol, LOUDLY complaining about the heat and food that had been especially prepared and brought in by helicopter for her and some rich friends who had accompanied her. She could have benefited a lot from a few days of eating nothing but navy beans, boiled cabbage, corn pone, hush puppies, and fried dough dogs. That would have made her helicoptered-in meal taste pretty good. She also could have benefited from the three-mile walk down the dark deserted road at midnight like my buddy took. Among those voices she just might have heard a few from the dead POWs she is responsible for. Yup, on the day that she showed up fourteen years ago, Hanoi Jane came pretty close to getting’ greased by a mob of angry Vietnam Vets! Actually, it is extremely doubtful that she would have come to harm by bayonet or any other confrontational means. But knowing the capability of those long brass-scoped .54 Whitworths used in the Civil War, it might have been from a half mile or even farther away since verified sniper hits from those distances were fairly common during the Civil War. Yup, Hanoi Jane came close to getting fragged. However, the bigger picture is that it didn’t happen and I’d like to think that the reason why it didn’t is because it has something to do with the remarkable responsibility that firearms ownership automatically instills in their owners.

It was a sad day when the filming was over and the re-enactors had to break camp and leave. My buddy took another week and toured some of the other Civil War battlefields before taking the 3000-mile train trip back to his job of being the only conservative among the Birkenstock-shod liberals of Alameda County, California. Now that’s a REAL scary thought!

floodgate
08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Linstrum:

WOW!!!!

Thanks for sharing that with us!

floodgate

SharpsShooter
08-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Fine story telling sir! Enjoyed it!

SS

felix
08-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Amen! ... felix

waksupi
08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
A good tale. It would not surprise me a bit, that the Bloody Run of Antietam still has souls looking for a release. There was an awful toll taken there. The period photographs express more, than words ever could. A sad time in our history. And, it will be just as sad, when it is inevitably repeated in our future, in some different location on our soil.

Shepherd2
08-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Linstrum - Thanks, that's a really great story. The movie Gettysburg is one of my favorites.

I'm not a believer in ghosts but they may be right about the Civil War battle fields being haunted. I've been to Gettysburg, Antietam and many other CW battle fields and I always get a strange feeling . I always thought it was the history of the place but maybe there is more to it.

Frank46
08-12-2006, 02:44 AM
I would have gladly liked to have been there when hanoi jane showed up. I would not have been suprised had a few well chosen words been directed in her direction. Having said that, I have heard about the stories of folks seeing ghostly visions when there. Excellent narration and well told. Frank

Bigjohn
08-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Linstrum;

Well done, I have that movie here on DVD. Love it for the detail it depicts but also feel for the souls who never walked off the field of battle ever.

I also have the second movie 'Gods and Generals', I believe the level of slaugther depicted has never since been achieved on any other field of battle.

I don't really know how 'Jane' feels about the exploits of her past, maybe a few ghosts haunt her, then maybe not. She was here in Oz last year, all prim and proper. Appears as it wasn't the real thing.

Thanks again, mate.

John.

StarMetal
08-12-2006, 10:33 AM
We must be in a minority with are sorrow feelings of all that lost their lives there. Seem nobody else in the world cares about all the row after row after row of white crosses from our boy over in France because of WWII. That really angers me. All those boys have given their lifes FOR NOTHING!....because of the liberals and extreme left.

Joe