PDA

View Full Version : Winchester ammo problems?

Wayne Smith
06-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I was at the range yesterday and a guy there had his .45LC and Winchester Cowboy ammo, brown box. He's not a reloader and bought the ammo himself. Two consecutative squib rounds, one with the boolit caught in the forcing cone, one that did get out of the barrel. I was there to witness both rounds. He refused to fire any more.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Heavy lead
06-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Ole' Wyatt would've died early using that stuff.

looseprojectile
06-13-2010, 10:22 AM
To answer your question. No I don't buy any factory ammo.
Could this be one of the people that store their ammo on the dash of their truck in the sun. Is it possible that ammo might have been compromised before it was actually loaded into the gun?
I just hope that your experience with that one example will not be the norm.
All I read about factory ammo is that it is a standard that all else is compared to.
My reloaded ammo does just what is expected according to the loading manual.
I am shooting some factory ammo that ends up in my posession from trades and only see duds with a few rimfire rounds.
Are you sure that Winchester loaded those .45 Colt rounds or might it have been made by an after market outfit. I have shot some John Wayne nickel cased ammo in the .45 Colt and it was average to good in my estimation. Nice brass.
I hope that what you saw is not a trend.

Life is good

Wayne Smith
06-13-2010, 01:59 PM
According to the shooter it was sold as new Winchester ammo. I saw the cartridge of the one that stuck in the forcing cone. Just a few unburned flakes of powder clinging to the side of the cartridge. Otherwise it looked new, even the base around the flash hole. It couldn't have had mre than .5 gr in it.

Trapshooter
06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
A shooting buddy bought six or seven boxes of Win White Box 125 grain 357's last fall, and has had one or two duds in each box. Taking them down, there was plenty of powder, but there was no compound in the primers. He's buying Federal now.....

Trapshooter

Rex
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
I had a lot of this with Remington 22 LR bulk pack ammo. Pulling the bullet revealed that the priming compound had broken up and fell down on the powder charge. But 22 LR priming is a different animal.
Rex

AZ-Stew
06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Sounds like the factories were trying too hard to catch up with the ammo shortage and letting QC go out the window for the sake of production quantity.

Regards,

Stew