PDA

View Full Version : Belding & Mull measure?

Finn45
08-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Howdee, What kind of powder measure is Belding&Mull? Newer heard them sold here, but one was for sale on the net and I reserved it, it looked weird enough to be good paper weight if nothing else. Seller said it has glass hopper and quite stiff action compared to other brands. Picture:

http://pyssymiehet.com/gunstuff/Beldingmull.jpg

wills
08-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Many people think very highly of them.

You can also get them at http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,360.html

13Echo
08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I have the MVA version of the mesure for black powder. I like it a lot. If the one you're getting is in good shape it will serve you well.

Jerry Liles

StarMetal
08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Finn,

In my opinion, one of the best and most accurate powder measures known to mankind. I've had mine for over 30 years. Mine too had that aluminum part where the glass window is and the only thing I can say about that is aluminum gauls and I made a replacement out of brass and it works even better. If it is new the best thing to do is run powdered graphite to it to wear it in and smooth it up.

Joe

Cherokee
08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
My first measure back in 1960 was a used B&M and it was great. Gave it to my Bro to get him started loading a few years later.

Bent Ramrod
08-11-2006, 03:23 PM
The glass-front hopper is pulled out of the line of the main reservoir by the operating lever before the charge dumps into the adjustable charge tube. This ensures a constant head of pressure over the charge tube regardless of the height of the powder in the main reservoir.

The charge tube has to be inserted in the measure, held while the lever is thrown and taken out and dumped into the cartridge case, which makes the operation slower than that of the crank-type measures with the micrometer tube where the cartridge itself is inserted in the drop spout. However, I've never been into speed loading, and appreciate the extra accuracy afforded by the movable chamber in the B&M. Even coarse tubular powders rarely drift farther than + or - 0.15 grains or so.

The graphite recommended by Starmetal is a good idea. Also, make sure the set screw on the adjustable charge tube is good and tight and look at the setting every now and then. I find the screw is right where it is most convenient to hold the tube, and my fingers sometimes loosen it if it isn't tightened down good.

floodgate
08-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Finn:

GET IT! If it comes in under $125.00 or so, you're 'way ahead; and this one has the "micrometer" (not really a micrometer, but with a finely-calibrated reading for accurately recording and re-setting the charge) powder chamber. The ONLY slight problem is that the measure rocks a bit from side-to-side as the rather stiff operating lever is pushed back and forth. A slight notch cut into the mounting shelf where the measure body's cast in parting line bears on it will make it totally secure. This is the measure recommended by the "experts" as the only one that can match - and sometimes beat - the Redding BR model for accuracy and repeatability.

Doug

DLCTEX
08-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow! I bid one one at a local auction recently. Not being familiar with B&M, I quit at $20. I found the instructions for it in a box I bought after I got home, so I mailed it to the auction co. to be given to the buyer. Didn't know what I was passing up.

1Shirt
08-11-2006, 07:07 PM
One of the finest measures IMNTBHO that I have ever used. A bit slow, but very very accurate.
1Shirt!:coffee:

omgb
08-11-2006, 10:10 PM
I have two of them and use them for all of my BP cartridge loading. They are exceedingly accurate and very durable. I swapped out the plastic hoppers on mine for the brass ones. I also used powdered graphite to ensure that the aluminum slide did not gawl or drag in any way. you my Finnish friend have reserved the Holy Grail and with the micrometer powder tube too! Well done my friend, well done.

Ross
08-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Some have reported replacing the return spring with another less robust to reduce stress over long sessions. The standard spring will well and truly cut stubborn stick powders though.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

(The reservoir cap is an engine soft plug from the automotive parts house, under $2.00 or from Buffalo for about $7.00.)

45nut
08-13-2006, 06:19 PM
This is one I recently picked up in a package deal....the measure was included into the deal for an extra $15.00
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_0310.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_0309.jpg
I haven't tested it yet,but plan to after doing a bit of research here and there. Seems they are BP safe and cut stick powders without stress huh?

Finn45
08-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Uh... Holy Grail of etc...? Well, it's here, not exactly cheap, but $45 won't do much in reloading business here around; Lee PPMeasure is more than $50. Condition is very good, but there's some rust in the bottom of the reservoir; should clean out easily. For BP as a starters no question about it.

John Boy
09-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Finn, the B&M is one of the better measures made. With a good rhythm, it drops very accurate-consistent loads. It is slower than the rotary drum measures though and make sure you clamp it down real tight because pulling the lever makes it slide on the bench.

Also, clean the innards after each use to prevent the slide from binding up from the powder residue left inside. I sprayed the insides of all my metal measures with cold zinc to keep them from binding (if I forget to clean them)

Here's a test I did during the Summer for sh*ts and giggles ...
http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037&highlight=ohaus
The intent was to determine how accurate different measures drop large and small granulation BP powders.

Finn45
09-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the link John Boy. I've used this measure few times now and it surely is neat. It's slow and it rocks from side to side, but this is not bulk reloading by any means, single stage press, small batches and so on. Rocking will be cured by cutting a seat on the bench as Floodgate suggested earlier. This measuring tube won't throw full 70 grains (around 60 I guess), but throwing two half charges won't be a problem. All slide surfaces seems to be OK and slight rust came right of by brushing from the bottom of the reservoir. Must remember to get either graphite or zinc or similar dry lubricator for the moving parts.

Four Fingers of Death
09-13-2006, 09:41 AM
I didn't realise they were still available. My friend uses one and he loads thousands of rounds through his business (gun dealer) for farmers and roo shooters, etc. Mick.

C1PNR
09-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Must remember to get either graphite or zinc or similar dry lubricator for the moving parts.
I wonder how well that NAPA dfg 123 spray graphite would work here. I have a can of that and the B&M (which is not in service right now).

Anyone try the dfg yet?

ron brooks
09-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Does anyone know of a source for he drop tubes, or a good subsitute fpr them?

Thanks,

Ron

floodgate
09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Ron:

Buffalo Arms (address as above) has the measuring ("drop") tubes, in three sizes (regular, to about 60 grs.; magnum, 90 grs. +/-; and a new "super magnum", good for 40 - 130 grs. I think these are all black powder volume measure) and two styles (standard - set by hand and lock with a thumbscrew - and micrometer - with a threaded adjustment and lock screw). A leetle bit pricey, but well worth it; it's a great measure. You can also get replacements for a broken glass window aand several of the screws in a "spare parts kit"; also new hopper lids, etc. These are still made in Philipsburg, PA, where B&M began in the 1920's, but they have passed through many owners over the years. I suspect Buffalo's Dave Gullo is grubstaking them this time.

The latest ASSRA Journal had a writeup comparing different powder measures for accuracy, repeatability and ease of use - see their website. The B&M stood up very well against even the top-line benchreast measures; plus IT CANNOT "BRIDGE"!

floodgate

ron brooks
09-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Floodgate,

I have managed to pick one up for under $75.00, so all I need is some of the drop tubes. I had looked at Buffalo Arms but had only seen the drop tubes offered with the measures. I'll get in touch with them.

Thanks,

Ron

Woodtroll
09-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Ron-

A standard brass muzzleloader tube measure (the open-top ones about 1/2" in diameter) will work just fine, although they don't have the nice micrometer adjustment of the best B&M, of course. Less than $10 at most gun shops, may even find one at a department store. Some need a little polishing down with sandpaper to fit up into the measure well, but it may be a place to start for you. Hope this helps!

Good luck, Regan

ron brooks
09-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Regan,

Thanks, that is a big help.

Ron

windyhill
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
I have one of the old belding and mull with the micro powder drop tube anf the pistol drop tube.. I love it, I use it to load all of my match rounds I use in pistol matches and rifle matches,,, Good Shooting Denny