PDA

View Full Version : full metal jacket lead cleaning?

MyLeadHabit
06-12-2010, 05:54 PM
It appears that if you shoot acouple of fmj's every 25 rounds or so they seem to scrape alot of the lead fouling out of the bore. Is this what i'm seeing?
Or does it just smooth out the fouling? Does this wear the bore faster?

AZ-Stew
06-12-2010, 06:35 PM
A story that's been posted here before, but bears repeating...

30+ years ago a friend of mine showed me a M-28 Smith Highway Patrolman 6 inch that had a bulge in the barrel just ahead of the frame. Here's how it got there.

The revolver belonged to a friend of my friend. He wanted to do some cheap shooting, so he bought some of the Speer swaged lead semi-wadcutters. These bullets are nearly dead-soft lead and are excellent for shooting up to 900 fps or so. Instead of studying their limitations in the Speer reloading manual, he made the assumption that he could shoot full-power .357 Magnum loads with them. After a dozen or so shots, accuracy went out the window. The barrel was heavily leaded and bullets were "squirting" through the remaining opening in the barrel. His shooting buddies that day recommended that he shoot out the lead using a couple of jacketed rounds. The first one treated the leading as a bore obstruction and bulged the barrel.

A very light amount of lead streaking near the muzzle can safely be removed with jacketed loads, but full-length barrel leading should be addressed by other methods.

Regards,

Stew

fryboy
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
+10 !!!
that lite part is the key ,somewhere between lite n heavy is a limit ....it will vary per bore and round fired .....some folks do it with no harm and some ...well just a bulged barrel is gettin off fairly light .....it's ur luck and ur choice

qajaq59
06-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Considering how smooth a fmj is I would think it would do a much better job of compressing it into the barrel then scraping it off. But I've been wrong before.

waksupi
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Just shoot some low velocity cast boolits, and it will clean out any leading. A much better and preferable solution, is to make correct loads that don't lead. My pistols and revolvers have hundreds of rounds through them, with no leading.

Shiloh
06-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Just shoot some low velocity cast boolits, and it will clean out any leading. A much better and preferable solution, is to make correct loads that don't lead. My pistols and revolvers have hundreds of rounds through them, with no leading.

Hear Hear!!

Shiloh

mroliver77
06-13-2010, 08:43 AM
+2

Jay