PDA

View Full Version : Molly .225 Boolits?

ohiochuck
06-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Has anyone had any luck using molly coated boolits vs. other lubs?
Results?

Bass Ackward
06-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Moly coated cast? The answer is no.

By itself, it isn't able to flow where it is needed and it will collect in the low spots. But it is great as an additive or an ingredient in something else as long as you don't over do it. Moly makes lube sticky which some people don't like either.

sagacious
06-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Has worked well for me. I used to run a lot of 45Colt, 44Mag, and 9mm cast bullets through the moly process. The rub is that if you're sizing the bullets, you're not saving any time with moly powder. Sizing and wax lubing can be done at the same time, whereas moly adds several more steps after sizing. The savings in time and convenience with wax lubing is considerable, and thus the benefit of moly is minimized. If one used unsized tumble-lube bullets + moly, that would probably be a more labor efficient-- though I've never tested that.

I still moly-coat for some special-purpose applications, such as heavy swaged lead bullets for 44Mag carbine handloads, and also some low-velocity swaged 223. Good luck.

JIMinPHX
06-13-2010, 02:06 AM
The Lyman Super Moly lube works well as a lube, but is messy to work with & shrinks up if left out in the open air.

Billy's brand bullets are cast boolits with some sort of moly coating all over them. I met the guy that runs that company. He seems to have a pretty high opinion of his product.

azrednek
06-14-2010, 12:10 PM
The Lyman Super Moly lube works well as a lube, but is messy to work with & shrinks up if left out in the open air.

Billy's brand bullets are cast boolits with some sort of moly coating all over them. I met the guy that runs that company. He seems to have a pretty high opinion of his product.

Few years ago I scored a deal on two boxes of Billy brand bullets at a yard sale. I didn't hot rod them but they didn't leave any lead in the bore. They shot as accurate as any other store-bought cast bullets I've used.

quack1
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Years ago I bought a Lee 340 grain 45 cal. mold for my 45-70 that dropped bullets a little small and leaded the barrel. I tried some moly spray lube, over top of the regular lube and it slowed down the leading. I poked some holes in a piece of cardboard and stuck the lubed bullets in nose first and then sprayed the bearing surface and bottom with the moly.
A couple years after that I found this site and learned about beagling and havent had any more trouble with that bullet leading (without the moly spray).