PDA

View Full Version : Heavy TC Maxi Hunter?

saalfelder
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Because 54 caliber bullets are often difficult to find in my area, I accquired a 54 caliber maxi hunter mold. I haven't cast any yet.

I had an unknown alloy that I suspected was wheel weight (very hard, 1 lb ingots ping when dropped on concrete). So I wanted to see how it cast. Mold fill out, size, weight etc...

Mold filled out really well. and it seems to be wheel weight lead. finished bullets are exactly .540 at the base, but the bullets weigh about 453 grains.

The mold is aluminum, bronze colored and the only markings are 54 cal and 008.

I thought 54 cal maxi hunters were 435 grains? Did the molds make heavier bullets?

Note; I'm using only pure lead for my muzzleloader. I just wanted to cast a couple to check the alloy.

Never mind, I just discovered that 455 grain maxihunters are available. So my unknown alloy goes 2 grans lighter.

45-70 Chevroner
06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
You should be using pure lead for any type of muzzle loader. Be it round ball or maxi, mini, ball. Tire weight bullets will be somewhat hard to load as it is "to hard". Pure lead slugs with a good lube ie. crisco or something similar will work great.

Maven
06-14-2010, 08:56 PM
"You should be using pure lead for any type of muzzle loader. Be it round ball or maxi, mini, ball. Tire weight bullets will be somewhat hard to load...."

45-70 Chevroner, That's just not entirely true. Wheel weight round balls are just as easily started and rammed home as those made from pure Pb. However, I do agree that conical bullets are indeed harder to start and seat and possibly not as accurate as their Pb counterparts.