PDA

View Full Version : Marlinstrosity Model 60/70 Hybrid

357maximum
06-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Seeing as how we have the new RF area now I feel compelled to share the following.

I have had this marlin model 60 for several decades+ and I never used it much due to the tubular magazine not fitting real well into my style. I always wished it was clip fed. About 2+ years ago I found a lot of model 70 papoose parts on gunbroker that were being neglected so I bought them for a song and a half not knowing for sure if my scheme to convert it would work. It worked well. Two screws seperated the "lower" from the action and the 70 parts bolted right up. Poof the tube/lifter and all that jazz was gone.

Now I needed a hole in my stock and the front sight housing gone. With some drill/file work the stock was fit up, and a hacksaw got rid of the front sight. I figured since the front sight was now gone I might just as well make her into a 17 inch barrel also. Taking a few coils off the mainspring was needed to make her function with my standard velocity remingtons and TADAA..she actually shot a tighter group to boot. Not bad for a grindstone/lap crown.

Here is my little Marlinstrosity in all her glory sporting a leapers 3X9 Mini:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/marlinstrosity002.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/marlinstrosity004.jpg

I have a nicer unpainted stock for it that is currently undergoing a Jenny Craig treatment along with plugging the magtube hole and punching out a clip slot. It should be done shortly, but I am still deciding on how far to lighten her. All in all I am so glad I butchered the poor girl as she makes a better fit to my in/out of the truck while running currs in multiple woodlots for squirrels now. :mrgreen: My main squirrel rifle REM 581 is now a little neglected as I do not care if this one gets beat up alittle in the froes of dog VS squirrel.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-12-2010, 10:45 PM
WOW how time flies when your having fun! 15 years gone just like that!

You sure are adventursome, but the rewards are great!

357maximum
06-13-2010, 11:43 AM
SWMBO had the camera last and I simply have not yanked the battery and reset the date.

Trey45
06-13-2010, 12:30 PM
That's got to be one of the coolest builds on a model 60 I've ever seen. How about a picture of the crown?

357maximum
06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks Trey...........really made it alot better tool for my uses. Here she is all nice and dirty:

autofix4u
06-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I like it.......
I have a 60 that has been salvaged from a horrable accident. After cut the barrel to 17" and turned it around, cut a new chamber and Iplan to convert it to left hand eject. This is just what it needs, get rid of the tube mag.

357maximum
06-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Left hand eject...........keep us posted on how that goes iffin you will.

autofix4u
06-15-2010, 06:49 PM
My brother is a lefty, I did a conversion on 60 for him a few years ago. I will see if I can pry it away from him long enough to get some pics.