PDA

View Full Version : .22 auto pistol

bigboredad
06-12-2010, 12:30 AM
I've been thinking about getting a .22auto pistol for plinking and helping to work on trigger control. I like to hear from people who actually have guns and not any of the I've heard stories. finish isn't really important more concerned with function ergonomics and ease of use like for field stripping and cleaning. Something that isn't to picky about feeding a certain type of ammo so I don't have to search to pick up a box of .22's

Piedmont
06-12-2010, 12:38 AM
It is tough to beat Rugers. Personally I would pass on the MK111 editions with their added magazine safety junk that makes them harder to disassemble and put back together and keeps you from dryfiring without a mag in place (Rugers autos may be dryfired without harm). Those I own.

Something I don't own but like is the line of Buckmarks. They feel more like 1911s than the regular line of Rugers (with the exception of the 22/45).

BTW the horror stories of the difficulty of stripping and putting back together the pre MK 111 Rugers are largely bunk. There is one little trick to it and once you get that in your brain you will have no more trouble.

lamina1982
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a browning buckmark and for the most part i love it. Its a great carry gun and i've killed alot of squirrels. Can be a little touchy on ammo with the occassion jams. I found some winchester lubed (black box) that works best

bigboredad
06-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Piedmont
thanks for the response I am a ruger fan and all my handguns except my 1911 are rugers. There auto pistols in .22 have always held a interest for me but I have heard of the rumors of being hard to field strip. are the 22/45 pistols in the same category as the mk lll's your warned me about? do you have any experience with the 22/45?

Trey45
06-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm biased here, but I love the CZ Kadet. I bought a conversion for my P01 and haven't found a more accurate, reliable and FUN 22 pistol to shoot. Piedmont has a 22/45, I've shot it, he'll be along directly to answer your questions.

HeavyMetal
06-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I have several MKI's and II's and field stripping isn't hard. Putting them back together is simply remembering to make sure the hammer strut is up before you snap in the mainspring housing.

MKII 22/45 is one of my gonna get if I find a good price guns. would not and will not buy any of this new stuff with the lawyer safties on them!

frankenfab
06-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I have a S&W 22S and a Beretta Neos. The 22S has the laminate target grips and is my favorite 22 I have ever shot.

I have always wanted one of the new stainless Rugers myself.

I recently took the red dot off because I wanted to focus more on using open sights.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab26/444slayer/my22s.jpg

GT27
06-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Ruger Mk II 22/45,gobbles up anything it's fed. They can usually be found used for $250.00ish. Ruger MkIII new $325.00 to $450.00 depending on bbl. length and bells and whistles...

Piedmont
06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
bigboredad, I own the original MK II .22/45 (the first version of it has the slide release, hence a MK II). Everything about it is just like a steel Mk II, except the grip angle and the bottom being polymer. I believe the new Mk III .22/45 has an even better grip but with safety **** added that makes takedown even harder. It might possibly make the trigger pull heavier too--not sure (it does on a Browning Hi Power). If you were to get a Mk III .22/45 you could take out the magazine safety parts or have your gunsmith do it. Or you could just buy a Pre-MK III .22/45.

I'm a dinasaur, but if I were in your shoes I would buy a Pre Mk III .22/45, especially since you have 1911s, as do I. Handle that Buckmark before you buy though, they feel even better in my hand.

anachronism
06-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I just bought a new Ruger MKIII stainless Target Model ($450.00, ouch). The mag safety isn't much of an issue for me, but I did disable the loaded chamber indicator because it looked like a problem in search of the worst possible moment. I just gave the Ruger it's first bath today. I had run a few hundred rounds through it, then shot a bowling pin match the next day.Not a hiccup at all. I will probably install a Volquartsen action kit when I can afford it, then call it good. 300 rounds does not make for a proper break-in so I'll strip it & clean it in about 500 more rounds. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired. I have an extra lightweight aluminum 1911 frame, so my next .22 will likely be based on that. I'll avoid the Kimber 22 conversion because they only want you to use plated ammo, and I have a lot of plain lead 22 ammo squirreled away. But, I wouldn't hesitate (so far) to buy another MKIII, but not for what I paid for this one.

Mk42gunner
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Personally I like the Colt Woodsman, either the second or third generation. Pricy now though.

For a plinker, the cheaper High Standards like the Model B work okay.

The Rugers are good guns, I just never really warmed up to them.

Robert

Le Loup Solitaire
06-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Some good advice has been given so far. Hopefully I can add to it. In the 22 world there are plinkers and target pistols; the main limitation is the size of the/your pocketbook. A good target pistol does it all, but isn't cheap. My own is plinker is an old Ruger Mark I with a bull barrel...a target pistol in its own right and it shoots good groups, (always has), at 25 yards. They (Rugers) and/or their descendents can still be found for pretty reasonable prices and generally do a good job. They all take down fairly easily and the only trick to reassembly centers around the positioning of the hammer strut. I did Bullseye comp for a long time with a High Standard Victor and a S&W Model 41. Both are fine guns and do good work, however the cost is up there. Both come down and go back together easily. They are classic, lifetime guns and hit..or close to it, whatever is aimed at. No sense in laying out $$$ for missing, although that is part of the road to success. A major factor to keep in mind is what you use for ammo; it has a lot to do with accuracy. For serious comp work one has to use the best, but for plinking, the run-of-the-mill stuff is affordable and ok. Since you can't load it yourself you usually have to pick up a few different brands and test them to see what works best for the gun that you have chosen. After that it is just following the 3 most important rules; practice, practice and practice, but you might as well do it if possible with a good, well made and dependable gun to start with. Choose well and enjoy. LLS

Multigunner
06-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Personally I like the Colt Woodsman, either the second or third generation. Pricy now though.

For a plinker, the cheaper High Standards like the Model B work okay.

The Rugers are good guns, I just never really warmed up to them.

Robert
Same here on the Rugers. I had a nice one, but the short standard length barrel didn't do much for its balance. Never had a failure to feed or misfire, which is doing pretty good for any rimfire auto. Accuracy was okay, but not as easy to shoot with accuracy due to the balance.
Awhile back i tried to help a guy sight in a stainless late model long and heavy barreled Ruger target pistol which had all the bells and whistles, but for some unknown reason that pistol just could not group at all.
I could find no visible clue as to why it would not shoot well.

LewR
06-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I had a Colt woodsman - ser# in the 169xxx range - but sold it when I had to buy a new house (for the new bride - LOL) - Loved it, but I kept my red eagle MKI, which was (and still is) my favorite 22 auto.

JMHO

Firebricker
06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a Ruger 22/45 with bull barrel I believe 5" and it's a favorite. It eat's up cheap Federal bulk pack round's just fine. I think they changed the grip frame on the newer one's but have'nt got a close look at one. Mine was made around 2000. FB

Doc Highwall
06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I have several Ruger's and a Sig Mosquito and I have shot the Walther all nice guns. I bought the Sig Mosquito to match my Sig 228.

MT Gianni
06-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I have a Ruger Mk1 standard sights and a S&W 22A that both shoot well.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I have a Ruger Standard and a Kimber Conversion for my 1911 Colt O1918, Both are really great.

Sam :D

DanWalker
06-13-2010, 02:47 AM
I've had a couple ruger Mark II's and a browning buckmark. The rugers all shot great. the buckmark displayed spotty accuracy at best. Got tired of all the noise, and sold my 22 pistols. I figured if I was gonna make all that racket shooting a handgun, I might as well just shoot my centerfires.

missionary5155
06-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Good morning
I would say a Ruger also. My dad bought one when I was a little feller. It was made during the Korean WAR and had the 2 piece bolt slide. I had that one for some years then got a MK2 that has been with me since . My two sons and daughter and wife and now grandduaghter have put alot rounds through it.
Down here I have a Walther that is by far the BEST shooting .22 I have ever owned..BUT will not cycle that Cheap Winchester ammo. IT shoots Remington to clusters at 50 yards. ELY shorts are even more accurate. I go the LONG barrel model with the removable fake compensator whick comes off in a few seconds. Kind of handle for applications. Has adjustable grip pannels for fatter fingers and adjustable front sight inserts for different ammo .. similar to the Dan Wesson. A very nice windage rear sight.
ME if I could only have one . I would get the Walther P22 and a extra set of recoil springs for the Win. Wildcat ammo and happily shoot a much better pistol.

bigboredad
06-13-2010, 12:11 PM
thanks for all the replies they all heave helped. As i stated earlier I'm only interested in a plinker around here I have seen the 22/45 brand new for 309.99 so I put that as the max amount that I wanted to pay. There doesn't seem to be too many of these types of guns on the used market which tells me most are happy with what they bought and I find that encouraging. I have not made a choice and of course half the fun is the hunt

crabo
06-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I put a Hogue Handall on my 22/45 and I think it really helps the way it feels. I have the older model.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html

Multigunner
06-14-2010, 03:01 AM
One thing about my Ruger I forgot to mention. If I loaded no more than six .22 shorts the pistol would cycle the shorts with no jams.
The Ruger auto basic design was very well thought out.
I've seen these converted to .32 centerfire, though why they did these is hard to say.

jh45gun
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Smith and Wesson Came up with a WINNER when they came up with the 22 A series (and others of that series. The gun is accurate and very easy to field strip and the built in scope rail is a winner for those that want to put a red dot or scope on it. Mine wears a Bushnell Trophy series red dot and it is a accurate and easy to use set up. I have had Ruger MK 1's and IIs and they are good pistols at least the ones I had except for one Mark I that I could not get to shoot worth a hill of beans. I like this Smith better for the reasons I outlined above. The Smiths you can find for a good price too.

HeavyMetal
06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
I have only seen one Ruger auto pistol, in photo's, converted to 32 S&W long.

Have no idea who does this but am interested in finding out!

As for why? The 32 is, or was, an option for one leg of the NRA bullseye match's instead of the 38. How cool to have at least two guns that feel the same?

Don't want to hi jack the thread but if someone has info please PM me.

excavman
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
I like my Browning Buckmark Target pistol, it'll shoot one hole groups all day long at 25 yards. With its 10" bull barrel and Bushnell pistol scope it'll spin the lid off a fruit jar without breaking the jar from the bench at 25 yds.

Larry

82nd airborne
06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
i have a ruger and a buckmark, the ruger is a little more robust while the browning has a little better ergonomics (for me). accuracy is about the same with an aimpoint.

bigboredad
06-16-2010, 11:03 PM
yeah but can you spin the top off of a fruit jar without breaking the jar that would be cool to see I know I'll never be able to do that. But seriously i looked at a ruger and browning and the ruger grip was very thin I'd like to try one of the new ones with wood grips. I still am having a hard time making up my mind on which one I'd like to own. But I really appreciate everyone's help and experiences

ebner glocken
06-20-2010, 03:01 AM
I own several of the handguns that have been discussed so far in this thread. As far as bang for the buck I would buy the ruger mkiii, would be a toss up bewteen the 5.5 bull bbl target and the slabside comp model.

It all depends on what you really want it for. The browning buck mark is easier to operate for us lefties as is the S&W model 41. The ruger is touchy to reassemble until you figure out the strut and relieve pressure on the mainspring. The browning you have to use a screwdriver to strip and the sights never land in the same place for me twice.

My personal favroite .22 that I shoot the most would be a toss up bewteen my ruger charger and the 10 inch contender bbl. I never carry .22s like a hangun, they are only shot at the range or carried like a rifle. Both are extreamly accurate with the thompson edging the ruger out.

Ebner

oldfart1956
06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd have to say..keep watching for a good used Ruger MKII. They turn up every now and again at the gunshows. I wouldn't pay over $250 for a used one. They are very trouble free and I've never stripped mine down to clean it. Probably 10,000 rounds thru it so far. I just spray it down with Gun Scrubber and blow it out. Big brother has one that's had literally 100's of thousands of rounds thru it...I mean bricks on top of bricks of every concievable ammo. He's never stripped his down either. I don't recall either of us ever having a mis-fire when using longrifle ammo. Shorts didn't work so well. Accuracy is better than most rifles. No suprise there..it's a Ruger. Audie..the Oldfart..

SPRINGFIELDM141972
06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I've never owned a Ruger, so I can't say anything about them. I have and do own a Buckmark and I love it. It's only the second one I've shot, the first was a friend's of mine. After shooting his, I had to have one. The grip feel isn't the exactly the same as a 1911 but close enough that it naturally points for me.

I don't know about opening mason jar lids, but mine will bust clays on a fence post at 100 yards all day long.

Regards,
Everett

bob208
06-22-2010, 10:04 PM
i have a mk1 6 1/2" target won many matchs with it. made expert with it. i have a mk2 that i got to retire the mk1 with it shoots just as good.

R.C. Hatter
06-22-2010, 11:20 PM
:coffeecom I have a 1976 Ruger Mk. I that has digested a zillion rounds and never missed a beat. It is fun, accurate and reliable. What more could anyone want ? No,
it's not flashy, but it works when I want it to. My advice would be to find a used, but not abused Mk. I and buy it.

JesterGrin_1
06-23-2010, 06:33 PM
The only Auto that I have really ever used is the old Colt Woodsman and Marksmen pistols. Never have had a problem with any of them. But they are old now and darn it I need to find grips lol. One of them is a factory Chrome Woodsman with the plastic white grips that are twisted up a bit from age so they need to be replaced.

oldhickory
06-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I got my Ruger 6" standard model in 1973 and have not had any desire to replace it to date.

cabezaverde
06-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I currently have 4 Rugers, a MKI and 3 Mk II. I also own a Buckmark slabside and will say without question that I prefer the Browning. Nicer trigger out of the box by far, and the ergonomics are better.

Char-Gar
06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Every Saturday morning, I shoot in a 22 handgun falling plate match. We see Rugers, Brownings and Smith and Wessons mostly with Rugers taking the lead. A factory Ruger trigger needs work out of the box, but Volquartson makes a drop in kit that works very well.

I shoot a Clark modified Ruger MkII. It has a Clark steel trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs and a Douglas barrel. When I miss, it is not the pistols fault.

I would start with a Ruger and you can upgrade the trigger and other parts as you go if you feel it needful.

trickyasafox
07-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I have a ruger mk II KMK512 (stainless 5.5 in bull barrel) that I love. Wouldn't part with it. It shoots well, and as previously mentioned - isn't bad to strip and reassemble once you learn the ruger handshake.

My Father has a smith 22a sport- the older model. I've shot it a lot and do all the cleaning on it. It is one of the older ones with the hard plastic grips. The newer grips look comfortable, but it has been very reliable with ammo it likes.

The ruger will eat anything, the smith seems to really favor federal bulk by a large margin.

AZ-Stew
07-07-2010, 02:31 AM
I have owned a Ruger MK I. It was OK, but certainly not a true target pistol.

I currently own a S&W M-41, 5 inch heavy barrel. Very accurate, feeds everything, trigger is VERY sensitive. I could have that fixed, I suppose. I'd like for it to be more like my other handguns at at 2 - 3 pounds. It currently is set to ounces. Other than the price, it's hard to beat. I bought mine 25 or so years ago when the dollar cost was lower, but in proportion to other handguns it's about the same cost now.

Regards,

Stew