PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret Press Good, Bad, Ugly?

lefty_red
08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I was thinking of "upgrading from my handpress to a bench mounted one. I finially got a nice cabinet to store my reloading stiff in the garage and a place to mount one at.

Are the turrets worht the money are should I just stick to the single stage press? Speed isn't a issue, hell I've load wiht a handpress.

Jerry

rbstern
08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I love my Lee turret for the the balance of speed and versatility it offers.

How many calibers we talking about? Rifle? Pistol?

lefty_red
08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Two rifle calibers and about five pistol calibers.

Jerry

BPCS
08-10-2006, 04:39 PM
I use the Lee turret press exclusively for handgun calibers and simply change the
turret head for different calibers. Dies stay adjusted in the separate turrets. I particularly like the Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure for accurately dispensing powder charges directly into the cases, especially with ball powders.

rbstern
08-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Two rifle calibers and about five pistol calibers.

Jerry

That's about what I load. I have several presses. If I could only have one, it would be the Lee turret.

jb12k
08-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Jerry-While I have not actually loaded on it yet, I did pick up an older Lee 3 hole turret press off Ebay. I have tinkered with it a bit, and bought 6 extra turrets for it, but unable to load until I recover from that head on I told you about. It seems to lock up just fine, with very little play. I like the lug locking the turrets into the press. I see nothing to worry about with mine. I do not have the auto index on it, and doubt I will upgrade it, as I use a single stage to deprime. Might get an autodisk pro, if I can find a bit more out about it, but not really needed right now, I think. Hope this helps a little-JB

steveb
08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Once your dies are set you can just switch out turrents out in a matter of seconds. Also you can still treat it as a single stage if wanted.The Lee turrent press in conjuntion with the Lee auto disk powder measure rock-n-rolls! The Lee classic turrent press is even better than the standard turrent press and very affordable for a cast press and cant be beat for the price IMO. Its the standard on steroids.:-D

http://reloadingandlevergunning.blogspot.com/2006/06/lee-classic-turrent-press.html#links

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/castingpictsAug82006085.jpg

drinks
08-10-2006, 08:07 PM
A friend who has been reloading a number of years just got a new Lee Classic turret and is in love with it.

MT Gianni
08-10-2006, 11:22 PM
It was my first press and it still gets a lot of work but serious rifle accuracy loads are put together in the RCBS which seems to have a surer, less sloppy lock-up. gianni.

steveb
08-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Heres a link to an in depth three part article on the Lee Classic Turrent press. It compares it to the redding and RCBS I believe.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

454PB
08-11-2006, 12:23 AM
I've been using the Lee turret presses since they came out, I have two of those. I recently bought the new Classic Turret and it's great as well, and a lot beefier. Since I owned a pile of the three hole turrets with dies already installed and set, I removed the top from my "spare" three holer and installed it on the classic. To change them around only takes a few minutes.

Vegas Vince
08-11-2006, 12:53 AM
I have 3 Lee presses. They all do a great job!! :-D

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/4vip_2006/img_0199.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/4vip_2006/img_0189.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/4vip_2006/img_0186.jpg

The Loadmaster ( on left) handles all pistol and most rifle calibers. I use the Lee Classic ( on right) for most of my 308 stuff, but it will handle up to 50BMG. I use the small Lee Reloader press (center) for sizing range brass and lubing. F & M has good prices for Lee equipment. All the presses are 3 to 5 years old and I have not had any problems. I reload about 1500 to 2500 rounds a month. I hope that helps.

http://www.fmreloading.com/

FallRun
08-12-2006, 04:15 PM
I use the lee turret press too and I love it and buying extra turrets for different cals is a good idea its what I did however your going to have to buy other powder measures as well cause your not going to back that powder measure out of there without removing some dies and if your going to remove dies then that kinda defeats the perpus so its an extra 20 bucks but its worth it at least I think so anyway

steveb
08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I use the lee turret press too and I love it and buying extra turrets for different cals is a good idea its what I did however your going to have to buy other powder measures as well cause your not going to back that powder measure out of there without removing some dies and if your going to remove dies then that kinda defeats the perpus so its an extra 20 bucks but its worth it at least I think so anyway

You shouldnt ever have to remove dies with the Lee swivel adapter. It makes it a snap to unscrew the powder measure to switch between dies and empty the powder hopper. The swivel adapter screws into the die without having to rotate the powder measure. I believe its less than 5.00 bucks through www,midwayusa.com or I THINK it comes with the Lee pro autodisk?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/Leeswiveladapter.jpg

lefty_red
08-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I've got my eye on the CLASSIC PRESS . Its the next thing I'm getting. I went ahead and got the brass tumble, media, and siffer (sp?). Then they had a couple of LEE 6 cavity molds that I wanted, and......so my allowance got ate up fast.

They had a Lee turrent press at the store, but it was with a kit, and I already had everything else (except the auto pro). And they were too high anyways. Me thinks it will be on my next MIDWAY order.

Thanks to everyone for replying. It help me in deciding on a very good press, one Lefty Jr can use.

Jerry

FallRun
08-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Man do I feel stupid, I did'nt even know they made those. Guess I just blew 40 bucks

50 Caliber
08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm probably not gonna be very popular with this info, But feel obligated to give my oppinion, I have had 2 Lee Pro 1000's and have had both returned to Lee for work, the first one the frame cracked, the second one the frame out right broke. they refused to do anything about the second one but after alittle proding from a lawyer they gave me my $ back and then I bought 2 Dillon presses(after some more $ scrounging), a SDB & an RL550B, the world has never seen a better press for the money than either of these Dillon machines, any problems and its a phone call away from being resolved for no out of pocket expence.
As you can tell I'm a Dillon Precision fan and always will be.

Lee
08-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Vegas Vince. I also have 3 Lee presses. Do just what I ask 'em to. (With a name like "Lee" what can I say:-D )
FallRun. Lee the company occasionally does such a rotten job of describing their products that they (probably) confuse their founder. Don't feel bad. I've had the same problem. Live and learn......:-D
50caliber. Yep............:-D
.................................................. .................................Lee:)

DLCTEX
08-17-2006, 07:53 AM
I have 3 Lee Presses, Loadmaster, good press, has a learning curve, 3 hole turret, good versitile press, and the new classic turret press, great press! Get the safety prime with it, I use it now instead of the hand held auto prime, I can change from large to small primers in seconds. Can be used as a single stage, or auto advance. Using it with the powder measure It has enough clearence to be able to see into the case to check powder level without removing it from the press. Using multiple turrets, I can change calibers, even with different case head size and primer size in seconds. Spent primers go into the can every time, no hassle.

Bucks Owin
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
FWIW, a Lee "Classic Turret" is at the top of my wish list when I'm able to upgrade from my old Pacific C-press for handgun loads....

(And a Forster "Co-Ax" for my long guns...)

Dennis :Fire:

georgeld
08-24-2006, 03:07 AM
I'm sure glad to see there's SOMEONE, maybe even TWO that figured out how to make the Loadmaster work right without eating those itty bitty $2-4 plastic piece's.

I never could. Right away it ate parts, they replaced them, but, was down three weeks til I got them. But, did get it to work for awhile, then went back to eating parts. So just used it for an expensive single stroker for several years.

About the 4th year, I gave it another good try and handful of plastic parts. Gave up again. In the 5th year I wrote Dave Shono and asked what I could do about returning it to Lee. Got a nice letter saying they'd either refund the money I paid IF I could provide the purchase ticket, or they'd refund the Full Current List Price.
man, can't get any better than that!

So, boxed it all up, took inventory, mailed it back along with three page's of goodies I wanted: several 6 cav molds, Pot IV, 3 powder measure's, several auto prime's, extra sets of shell holders for both size's, and a bunch of other item's til I was sure the whole refund was ate up and I'd owe them.

About two or three weeks later I got two big boxes from Lee with all the goodies and no ticket to show the balance I owed them. Next day brought the paperwork and a check for $330.

I'm sold on Lee Precision, but, some of their products I haven't had much luck making them work right. Loadmaster is one of them.

Hell of it was, I'd spent months trying to decide whether to get a Dillon 650, or the Loadmaster! I just recently got an antique RL 450 that was all rusted up for $75 delivered. It cleaned up swell, have it running for .45 acp, but, seldom shoot them. Lack of funds prevents getting the .38, 45 colt, and .223 that I shoot thousands of all the time. Sooner or later though, they are all planned.

abunaitoo
08-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Got mine about 10 years ago. Still use it when I need to load lots of ammo. If your going to use it just to reload pistol ammo, for the price, it can't be beat.
I just got a Lee classic cast single stage press to resize and form rifle ammo. I needed something stronger than the turret.
If your going to get one, you should get the Lee cast turret press. It's strong and looks like it would do anything the cast single would. I would have gotten the cast turret, but I got the single for a great price.

3rdpig
09-01-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm new to the board, I just found it while looking for casting info. I've had a Loadmaster for about 8 weeks. Yes, there's a learning curve and it does help a great deal if you take the time to understand how it works. But once you learn it, get it adjusted properly, and once you become a skilled operator it will do what Lee says it will.

And they should provide at least a half a dozen of the little $1 primer sliders with the press and a copy of the videos from their website. I broke both the sliders that came with mine on the first day. I ordered 6 replacements and still have 5 sitting in a drawer because once I watched the videos and learned how the primer feed works, why the adjustment has to be set exactly like Lee says in the video (and don't tinker with it!) I've never needed another one.

Since then I've loaded about 7,000 rounds of 9mm, .357, .40 and .223 and haven't broken another one. A puff of dry graphite powder down the primer chute every few hundred primers helps as does a slight amount of liquid lube, or grease, on the O ring on the primer arm. I've heard that some Loadmaster users use a second sizer die, minus the decapping pin, in the second station to line the case up, but I haven't had to do that.

The only downside of the primer system is that it will not seat primers deeper than flush, when I try to do that I can feel the rising primer pin contact the slider, going further will break the slider. Adjust it the way Lee says, accept flush primers and all will be well.

Full press strokes and proper die adjustment are also critical to a Loadmaster.

I am mechanically inclined and I have learned to operate complex machines before so maybe I had a head start, but it's really not that hard if you follow the videos on Lee's site exactly. There's also a user over in the reloading forum of Glock Talk, Uncle Don, who's very experienced with the Loadmaster and has posted some tips and tricks.

And to get back on topic I've heard nothing but good stuff about Lee's Classic Turret press. It seems like a real winner. If I had some extra bench space I'd get one, but I've got that reserved for the 20# Lee lead pot that's coming.

rbstern
09-01-2006, 11:37 PM
3rdpig, my Loadmaster experience was like yours, minus the broken primer doohickey. Have never broken one in several thousand rounds of loading. Adjusted properly, it really cranks out good ammo, fast. Mine is dedicated to 38 special, and I use a 45 colt die as the decapper in position 1, and a Lee 38/357 sizer in position 2.

I'd replace my 3 position/older Lee turret press with the new cast unit, but the thing works well, and I have it set up for six calibers, so I have trouble justifying the changeover cost.

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2006, 06:34 AM
im with you ive had the pro master and 1000 and they were nothing but trouble i wouldnt have another shoved up my :) I now have 5 square deals and a 550 and love them all.
I'm probably not gonna be very popular with this info, But feel obligated to give my oppinion, I have had 2 Lee Pro 1000's and have had both returned to Lee for work, the first one the frame cracked, the second one the frame out right broke. they refused to do anything about the second one but after alittle proding from a lawyer they gave me my $ back and then I bought 2 Dillon presses(after some more $ scrounging), a SDB & an RL550B, the world has never seen a better press for the money than either of these Dillon machines, any problems and its a phone call away from being resolved for no out of pocket expence.
As you can tell I'm a Dillon Precision fan and always will be.

downonthefarm
09-12-2006, 08:34 PM
would the Lee Classic Turrent press be a good press for a beginner?
Plan to load 30-06, 30-30, 7.65X53 Mauser , 9mm, 38/357 and 44 mag
thanks

454PB
09-12-2006, 09:48 PM
would the Lee Classic Turrent press be a good press for a beginner?
Plan to load 30-06, 30-30, 7.65X53 Mauser , 9mm, 38/357 and 44 mag
thanks
Absolutely! you don't have to use the auto advance feature until you are ready.

mag_01
09-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I like the Lee turret presses---have had the same one for 25 or 30 years and at one time (when I was younger) I fired 2000 rounds a week pistol cartridges. Now I'm lucky to shoot---200 or 300 rounds a week weather permitting---You cant beat Lee--as far as getting your moneys worth---when I bought my set up cost me less than 50 bucks---auto index and micrometer powder dispensing with accurate powder up to the last three rounds---Enjoy what You have---But for me there is nothing wrong with Lee ---Mag

shootingbuff
10-10-2006, 05:18 PM
A bud has been using the org 3 holer for more yrs than I know him and I met him in 87! I plan on getting one of the updated 4 holers.

sb

georgeld
10-11-2006, 02:28 AM
3rd pig:
I've run about as complex of equipment as has been made and adjusted it, made parts to replace what gets worn out or damaged. This goes for clothes hanger forming machinery with wire twisters included and a whole lot of other things. I've even built a paper folding machine to make air filters from scratch without drawings.
So I doubt very much that you're ahead of me very far when it come's to that sort of experience as I read into your post.

I studied that loadmaster for days on end, and watched that movie at least 50 times and I still never could get that thing in time to where it wouldn't eat those parts except right after I got it til the first hangup. And one other time in the third year when I tried it. When it worked right, man it was a producer and worked slick as a new honey on wedding night!

BUT: when it get's so it's not perfect, it's a royal SOB of a PITA far as I'm concerned. And I'm as proud of Lee's equipment as anyone could be on most of it. This is the only other Lee press I've used other than the cheap Reloader single's.

A couple yrs ago I wrote John a letter and told him I'd buy a 1000, or the four hole turret IF he'd set it up and give me a month's trial to prove it's better than the loadmaster was for me. He never replied. Therefore, I haven't bought one, and soon as I can afford it, am getting more shell holder kits for the the Dillon.

Right now I've got a Reloader for bullet sizing, RL450 and a 1950's model Lyman 4 hole that only holds the dies on top, otherwise works as a single. There's an old Herter's C press laying in the corner that I bought in 1958 for $25 that's great as far as it goes. Without a company to support it, it's dead without shell holders to fit it. BUT: I've recently figured out how to convert it to use Lee's shell holders but, so far I haven't sent for the extra Reloader ram to cut off and turn down to fit into the Herter's ram yet. Was going to order about $60 worth of misc parts from Lee this month to do that and some other things, but, ran out of money from buying another gun, scope, mounts and 1200 rnds of ammo, plus a bunch of lathe tools. Maybe Dec will be the time to get it, Nov is elk hunting.

Jerry, hope all this helps you decide. Other than just a very few items Lee makes I agree it's all good. Some of it, like their case trimming is way ahead of everyone else. They are a very honest, reliable company that will go all out to satisfy the customer. When they can't do that, they'll buy their things back at current retail price regardless of what you paid for it, or where you got it. Just don't send cash for anything, not even to a named person as it'll never be accounted for, BTDT too.

I admire you fellows that have had such good luck with the loadmaster and wish you continued success with it. I also admit I wouldn't have another one if you gave me your's in working condition and set it up for me.

toecutter
10-11-2006, 03:29 AM
I have 3 Lee presses. They all do a great job!! :-D

The Loadmaster ( on left) handles all pistol and most rifle calibers. I use the Lee Classic ( on right) for most of my 308 stuff, but it will handle up to 50BMG. I use the small Lee Reloader press (center) for sizing range brass and lubing. F & M has good prices for Lee equipment. All the presses are 3 to 5 years old and I have not had any problems. I reload about 1500 to 2500 rounds a month. I hope that helps.

http://www.fmreloading.com/

Back when I first started reloading I went out and bought myself a lee reloader press. While it wasn't bad, and did a good job for a number of years, one day while sizing .308 brass it catestrophically failed!!! I replaced it with an RCBS partner and havn't looked back. While Lee makes some good tools, they also make some really bad ones.

BruceB
10-11-2006, 07:02 AM
When considering the cost of Dillon machines, it seems that a lot of folks don't realize that it's NOT necessary to buy a complete "caliber conversion" for every single round we reload. A single shellplate, by far the most expensive part of the conversions, is often useable for many different cartridges. For example, the .45 ACP shellplate handles ALL the '06-head-sized cartrdges, which is....what? Maybe a hundred different rounds?? Similarly, one shellplate handles ALL the H&H-sized caseheads, and the .223 plate does all rifle cases on that headsize (plus 9x19, I believe).

This reduces conversion costs down to the price of a caliber-specific powder funnel, which is only a few dollars, and many of these also work for several different cartridges.

I'm very satisfied with my 550B, and wouldn't think of changing to something else. The lack of auto-indexing is no big deal, and manually advancing the shellplate is second nature and very quickly done. I certainly don't need more production capability than the 550 provides, and I appreciate the simplicity of this model compared to the 650.

45 2.1
10-11-2006, 07:27 AM
There's an old Herter's C press laying in the corner that I bought in 1958 for $25 that's great as far as it goes. Without a company to support it, it's dead without shell holders to fit it. BUT: I've recently figured out how to convert it to use Lee's shell holders but, so far I haven't sent for the extra Reloader ram to cut off and turn down to fit into the Herter's ram yet.

RCBS and I think C-H make an adapter for the Herters ram to take standard snap in shellholders.

georgeld
10-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Thank you, but, yes, I know that.

I'm wanting to make this solid as I intend to try using it for swaging bullets.

So am going to turn the ram down to fit inside the Herters, and might even end up pinning, or welding it in place. Will have to see how it works out first.

Char-Gar
10-13-2006, 07:10 PM
I have owned one Lee press and it was a turrent model. I gave it away as there was so much slop in the head, I could not hold ammo to critical tolerances. Everybody else's might have been high quality, but mine was a ***.

Swagerman
10-14-2006, 10:20 PM
georgeld, I have two Herter's set up for bullet swaging only operations. If you need any help fixing up the Herter's C press for swaging, let me know, I can give you some good tips on shortening the toggle linkage bar.

This allows the ram to perform a shorter up stroke which is needed to allow the bullet to reach up into the swage die just far enough to top out on the full up stroke.

Otherwise, you won't have very good compound linkage in that stroke, as the ram in original mode cannot sustain it.

Contact me by email if you want help on it, too much to explain here.

I can also show you my swage bullet nose punches that fit just like the original shellholders.

Jim

Ringer
10-16-2006, 07:36 AM
I just got a Classic Turret,which I set up for my 38-55 and 45-70 BP loading. I dont use the indexer,but am impressed with the ease of changing calibers, and the consistency of the press. Ringer

utk
10-16-2006, 08:29 AM
I have owned one Lee press and it was a turrent model. I gave it away as there was so much slop in the head, I could not hold ammo to critical tolerances. Everybody else's might have been high quality, but mine was a ***.

Chargar, can you please describe the problems you encountered with the press.
I'm very interested in one myself but Ive also been concerned about possible "sloppiness" in the turret/ring mating surfaces.

Urban

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Urban,

You should be aware when people talk about the Lee turret presses, there are two versions. An older version made of aluminum and a newer version made of cast iron. Of the two, I've never heard of a problem with the newer one and seldom with the older one. The newer one is Lee's Classic Cast Turret press.

People are often confused with this and I don't think information and experiences related to the older one are applicable to the newer one and vice versa, so make sure which one is being talked about. That said, I've never heard of any Lee product having a problem not being made right by Lee.

utk
10-17-2006, 03:21 AM
Dave, I do know that there are two versions of the Turret press. But their "head ends" are the same, and there is where Chargar found sloppiness.
I'd like to know about his problems with the ammo produced.

Urban

Dan in Wa
10-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Vegas,
And my wife says I have alot of stuff in my gun room.
Looks like heaven on earth.

Patrick L
10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Lee is a funny animal. For the most part their stuff works, but sometimes you get what you pay for. By that I mean that while the Lee stuff works, often the Lyman/RCBS/Dillon stuff works better. Of course, in each case you have to decide if the cost difference is worth the performance difference.

What gets me is the Lee advertising hype that seems to suggest that their stuff is of MUCH higher quality than the competition's. They seem to imply that if you aren't loading on Lee, you're just a simpleton or a mooron. Boys and girls, it just ain't so.

lefty_red
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Just got my new LEE CLASSIC TURRET PRESS! Man its a brute! For $75, you sure get ALOT for what you pay for!

Lefty

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Lee is a funny animal. For the most part their stuff works, but sometimes you get what you pay for. By that I mean that while the Lee stuff works, often the Lyman/RCBS/Dillon stuff works better. Of course, in each case you have to decide if the cost difference is worth the performance difference.

What gets me is the Lee advertising hype that seems to suggest that their stuff is of MUCH higher quality than the competition's. They seem to imply that if you aren't loading on Lee, you're just a simpleton or a mooron. Boys and girls, it just ain't so.

This statement you're making may have been true a few years ago, but since Lee started the manufacture of the Lee Classic series of presses, it's no longer as true. I got rid of an RCBS Rock Chucker because the Lee Classic Cast single stage WAS A BETTER PRESS than the RCBS RC single stage. I enjoyed using the Lee due to it's better features and cleanliness. At least I did, until my son took it back to college with him. Now I'll have to buy another I suppose.

I am reasonably certain, based on the feedback on the various forums, the same holds true of the Lee Classic Cast turret press. It's certainly much faster than any other turret press on the market today when combined with it's Safety Prime and a Pro Auto Disk powder measure.

Lee's product selection has been improving at a phenomenal rate and they are managing to hold their price point at a very competitive one. Gotta love competition.

Lee
11-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I've got the older Lee turret press(aluminum, not steel) and the biggest problem I have with it is the indexing slop. I believe it is due to the little "PLASTIC" thingie that slides over the hex rod. That slop, and the fact that the plastic wears out and mushes up after a while is what would move me to another press. If Lee could do something about that, their turret presses would be even better. (At $0.50 for a replacement part, it's not the money, it's just the principle)...........Lee:)

DLCTEX
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
The four hole press has a square hole in the plastic ratchet bushing, it lasts a lot longer.

Vegas Vince
11-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Dan in Wa

Yes, I spend a two to four hours a day reloading, casting boolits, or working on a firearm & cleaning a firearm. I shoot three to five time a week, so I always have something that I want to do. I enjoy playing with my toys! (as my wife put it) I love the Lee equipment. Every now & then I break somethnig, but it is usally because I did something stupid. Everytime Lee has replaced the item at no charge.
I feel if you are happy with the equipment you have no matter what brand it is, thats all that counts!!

DPD
11-12-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm sold! Not that I need another press, but the Classic with a couple of extra
turrets sounds good with Christmas around the corner.
Anybody know of a good online retailer of LEE reloading products? It's been many
years since I purchased my LEE autoprime, and I love it. Had the shell holder collar
crack once- called Lee- they replaced it pronto and for free.
Don

Dale53
11-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Good Lee discount dealers:
1 - F&M Reloading
2 - Midway Reloading
3 - Natchez Shooters Supplies

I have used all of them with excellent results. My favorite is F&M

Dale53

Ranch Dog
11-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Here are two additional Lee suppliers I use in addition to those that Dale mentioned. Lee Factory Sales is an excellent source when you need parts to repair an item of Lee equipment as they handle all the individual parts that make up a piece of equipment...

Boses Guns (http://www.bosesguns.com/product_p/lee90064.htm)
Lee Factory Sales (http://www.factorysales.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1163342107.5061=/html/company.html)

VTDW
11-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Michael,

Thanks for the LFS link. I have never seen it. And thank you sooo much for turning me on to Lee equipment and the Bose site quite a while back.:drinks:

Dave:castmine:

XRING363
11-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Maybe this is the right place to ask this question. A friend gave me a Loadmaster with broken primer attachments. Is it worth fixin? It has shellplates for 223/30-6/45acp/357 and 44. Anyway, I'm looking HARD at the "classic cast" Lee press cuz I am a single stage loader. Someone mentioned a learning curve. The reason for this inquiry is I recently picked up my first hi-cap crunchandticker. PT99. I intend to send massive quantitys of wheel weights downrange. I have not chossen a mold yet but it is in the cards. I can't get to the range but once a month and I'm not working. Retired. I have all the time in the world to handload.
So, what say ya boys, fix the Loadmaster or sell it on E-bay and use the proceeds to buy a classic cast single stage??????????????????
BTW, I'm not opposed to the idea of an classic turret either........

454PB
11-13-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm with you, I don't like or use progressive equipment. My Lee Classic Turret is used manually.

I'd advise you to get the Classic Turret press. You can set up your dies and pop them in and out very quickly. The Classic Turret has all the mechanical advantage of a Rockchucker, and the convenience of hold four dies at once. Since I got the Lee Classic, my other presses are gathering dust. I use the Rockchucker for swaging jacketed bullets.

Since my previous presses were the first Lee Turret with three hole turrets, and I own so many sets, I changed out the head for three die use. Someone starting from scratch can avoid this and utilize the four hole advantages.