PDA

View Full Version : What is "natural" beeswax worth?

Jeffery8mm
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Gonna show my ignorance here about beeswax!!
I am helping a guy clean up an old house place. The gentleman that lived there kept bees. Lots of bees.
We found a stash of Beeswax that is in cake pan shapes. I dont know if it is filtered or what, but is it pretty and yellow, and smells like honey. YUM!! My wife and I used some mixed with mineral oil to season our butcherblock counter tops!!
Any way, there is a large supply of this and I want to know about what it is worth per pound. Not looking to get rich, but will share the bounty with my fellow casters.
The wax is sorta my part for helping!!
Jeff

Lead Fred
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Ive paid $3 bucks a pound twice.

257 Shooter
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I would pay $3.00 per LB plus shipping.

44man
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Gonna show my ignorance here about beeswax!!
I am helping a guy clean up an old house place. The gentleman that lived there kept bees. Lots of bees.
We found a stash of Beeswax that is in cake pan shapes. I dont know if it is filtered or what, but is it pretty and yellow, and smells like honey. YUM!! My wife and I used some mixed with mineral oil to season our butcherblock counter tops!!
Any way, there is a large supply of this and I want to know about what it is worth per pound. Not looking to get rich, but will share the bounty with my fellow casters.
The wax is sorta my part for helping!!
Jeff
It depends on too much. I seen yellow beeswax go for $6 a pound then went to a factory and bought a huge cake for $7. I bought some nice wax from a fella here on the site for a great price but do not remember, I think $3. A lot depends on how much it was refined and lab grade gets expensive.
Chances are that your wax still needs cleaned a little for lube unless good separation was done.
You need some input from those here that sell it.
You are indeed lucky so keep what you need for yourself. Others here will be made very happy by your offer.

44man
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I weighed the cake I bought at the honey factory. It is 9# and is white. I had to melt and strain bee parts out but $7 for 9# was hard to beat.
They used to have a counter where they sold honey but stopped selling to the public.
I feel $3 a pound would be about right. I have a lifetime supply myself.

Jeffery8mm
06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
When we cut this to use on the counter top, there did not appear to be any impurities in it. The edges of the "cakes" are whitish, [ mayhaps because of age] but the middle is more yellowish.
Jeff

Doby45
06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
$4-$4.50 is average. I know all the shooters want it for $3 a pound and if it was free to you and you wanted to do the shooting community a favor then sell it for that, but your best test for going rate is to see what everyone else is selling it for. $4 - $4.50 is average.

prs
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
The cake pan sized pieces are from his processing of the wax -- he used stock pot of hot water and the melted wax floated on top as it melted. He then skimmed the bee parts.trash out just like we process lead scrap and when the clean floating wax cooled and solidified on top of the then cool water, it was in the wheel shape you now see. Probably cappings or fresh comb that he melted. Good stuff and you can find the current wholesale and retail value by going to www.dadent.com or the retail at www.gloribee.com

prs

Jeffery8mm
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM
The cake pan sized pieces are from his processing of the wax -- he used stock pot of hot water and the melted wax floated on top as it melted. He then skimmed the bee parts.trash out just like we process lead scrap and when the clean floating wax cooled and solidified on top of the then cool water, it was in the wheel shape you now see. Probably cappings or fresh comb that he melted. Good stuff and you can find the current wholesale and retail value by going to www.dadent.com or the retail at www.gloribee.com

prs

prs
Sounds like you know a bit about it!!! You described the "cake" shape just right!!
Thanks for the info!!!
Jeff

357maximum
06-11-2010, 01:47 PM
on a good day $3 per pound RAW is as cheap as you are likely to find it locally. If you have to order it or have not a local guy $4 to $4.50 is about normal here on the forum. If you have no sense about you you can go to a craft/hobby store and pay $12-14 per pound.

So if a guy can buy it at 3 to 3.50 a lb and has to go through the trouble to render it into clean useable/saleable/shippable sized blocks and do all the packaging and shipping 4 to 4.50 a lb seems rather reasonable as he is very likely putting in a bit of effort/propane/electricity to make it available to those that need less than the 15- 20 lb raw blocks most beekeepers will sell it in, if they even sell it to those who are not their hive/comb supplier.

Personally I would not buy it for $3-$3.50 per pound and put the effort needed into it to make $1 on a pound of it unless it was a real good friend/member here..........but when frinds come into play the rules of engagement change......or at least they should and the few people that are selling it here are treating you like friends even though they may not know you.

my $.02

Jeffery8mm
06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
In order to sell it here, does it need to be in pretty litle squares?? OR can I just cut the "cakes" into 'chunks' so that they fit in a flat rate box??
Jeff

357maximum
06-11-2010, 02:59 PM
In order to sell it here, does it need to be in pretty litle squares?? OR can I just cut the "cakes" into 'chunks' so that they fit in a flat rate box??
Jeff

Jeff the people here will buy it anyway they can get it. That goes for more than just beeswax..........don't believe me post something cheap that most people want at 3am....by 3:10 am it will be spoken for. :wink:

A bunch of scoundrels that always find what I want 3 minutes before I do I say.:roll:

Doby45
06-11-2010, 02:59 PM
If you selling it for a "good" price here, you sell it however you want. Chunks, pieces, cakes or whatever. I assure you these guys here will love you and will return the love.

qajaq59
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I paid about $3 a lb for it a while back. And after looking around I discovered that was a pretty good price.

Jeffery8mm
06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I may try to get some pics of it up this weekend!
Jeff

awaveritt
06-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Most Ebay auctions (buy it now-type) seem to get around $5-7 and I think that's a little high, but its available and easy to get.

44man
06-11-2010, 05:11 PM
PRETTY makes it harder to break up for lube. Chunks are better. I beat on screwdrivers to get the stuff weighed out. A pile of crumbles would be even better. Don't worry about it.

randyrat
06-12-2010, 09:19 AM
$2-4/lb RAW unfiltered. Just be cautious shipping will kill the deal. Shipping is the BIG cost for your costomers.

Also, is it clean? I sell besswax absolutly clean no settlings and that takes a lot of work, heat,filter material and equipment. It took me a while to make the operation efficient enough to sell at a good price and stay competative. $4/lb

One thing you'll learn; Everything beeswax touches,stays beeswax covered-(cloths,equipment,hair,concrete). Don't even think about using the wifes nice soup pot, it will never be a soup pot again.

-I had to almost shave my head one day
-Another day i waxed my right arm, no hair left on it
-Almost lost one eye brow, boy did i look stupid. No i refuse to shave the other to match.

fryboy
06-12-2010, 12:36 PM
-I had to almost shave my head one day
-Another day i waxed my right arm, no hair left on it
-Almost lost one eye brow, boy did i look stupid. No i refuse to shave the other to match.

priceless !!! ( thanx for the grin amigo ! ) the funny thing ? women pay to have their ummm beard waxed with this stuff ( i think we are in the wrong profession lolz )

markinalpine
06-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Slightly off topic comment: (Un-)Natural Honey to go with (Un-)Natural Beeswax
My Sister-In-Law works in a rather up-scale grocery market, you know, three aisles of olive oil. One day a customer asked her for sugar free honey. :groner:

Mark :bigsmyl2:

mroliver77
06-13-2010, 08:55 AM
randyrat is the beeswax man here! his product is very clean and a good price. I dont need any right now but if the price were right I would buy a big ole chunk..
J

qajaq59
06-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Does Randy Rat have a page where his prices are listed?

Jeffery8mm
06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys!! Will get it worked out soon!!
Jeff

Dave Bulla
06-15-2010, 02:23 AM
I'd be interested in a cake.