PDA

View Full Version : Seating depth question

wallenba
06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I was not quite sure what section to put this in so here it is. I have two 30 cal. with short necks, 30 Herrett and 308 Winchester. My cast boolit moulds if loaded to what I think is best (B), the forward lube groove is exposed. In my Ruger M77 Target the short leade makes me load in like (A). My insticts tell me that pressure will try to work past the base of the boolit when loaded that way. Also, I can invision the gas check being pulled off the base of the boolit as it is forced past the point where it enters the neck. Are these valid concerns?

Click for larger image

Maven
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Dutch, I load for the 7.5 x 55, another short necked cartridge, which results in loading CB's as per "A" in your illustration. To date, I've never had a problem with gas check stripping or CB's being cocked/skewed because they were below the neck - shoulder junction. Accuracy has generally been excellent, limited only by the narrow front sight blade on my K-31's and my eyesight.

StarMetal
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Like Maven said, not to worry. What many forget about the gas check is that there is gas pressure "pushing" on it and the bullet to push the bullet out of the case and barrel. That's different then you pulling the bullet out of the case with a pair of pliers.

So don't worry about it. As long as your gas checks are crimped on tight so they don't fall off from movement or vibration, you're good to go.

wallenba
06-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Basically, that is what I figured as nobody else had been voicing this concern, that I've seen since I have been here at Castboolits. Sometimes I have to hear it from others to let go of that nagging feeling. Thanks guys, confidence restored.

Bass Ackward
06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Besides, in 1000 rounds you will be loading like B anyway.

After another 1000 you be singing Here " C " comes! :bigsmyl2:

runfiverun
06-10-2010, 11:09 AM
IMO.
this is a situation i avoid, you can get away with it.
but,, it seems that the slow speed loads are best suited here. and i'd avoid lube in the g/c area.
i doubt a crimped g/c will come free but a soft boolit could be affected negatively.
if it were just the g/c below the neck,I'd be more comfortable with the accuracy potential.
yeah these are all old sayings and others get away with it, but thats exactly why bore riders [like the rcbs silhouettes ]were invented.

wallenba
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
IMO.
this is a situation i avoid, you can get away with it.
but,, it seems that the slow speed loads are best suited here. and i'd avoid lube in the g/c area.
i doubt a crimped g/c will come free but a soft boolit could be affected negatively.
if it were just the g/c below the neck,I'd be more comfortable with the accuracy potential.
yeah these are all old sayings and others get away with it, but thats exactly why bore riders [like the rcbs silhouettes ]were invented.

Kind of hard to keep the lube out of that gap, but I have used my finger nail and paper towel to get it out, and I'm sticking with Orange Magic in this situation, which is supposed to be good to 140 f. I've been trying to get the Lyman #311644, but Grafs is backordered on it and Midway is not offering it, Lyman charges too much and takes too long anyway. Making do with what I have for now.

runfiverun
06-10-2010, 11:43 AM
140 is fairly high but nowhere near the 4-600 of burning powder.
not an issue most likely, but messing with what we have to make it work the way we want it to, is why we cast and reload.
i forget everybody don't have the same options in equipment.
and changing lube grooves filled or empty for me, is a quick turn of the push rod.
or putting a piece of shot in another couple of holes.

StarMetal
06-10-2010, 11:50 AM
run,

You're forgetting that the bullet is gone in a micro second and any melting of lube is insignificant.

You refer to this type of seating has been gotten away with. How about expanding on that. Let's hear some instances, with proof, where it hasn't been gotten away with.

I don't have the same feelings. I guess I'm one that has gotten away with it. I've shot even Loverins deeply seated with no ill effects, in fact with startling good results. I have a 7mm-08 SAKO that will shoot your lights out with deeply seated Loverins.

jsizemore
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
You got to remember that as pressure builds in the case, the case neck and body expands to form a gas seal so hot gas doesn't come back at you, but pushes the bullet/obstruction the other direction. The check is to try to fit a boolit with gas check down a fired case. If it slips through with little to no pressure, your good. If not you might need to turn necks or find a different lot of brass with thinner neck walls. Good Luck.

runfiverun
06-10-2010, 05:54 PM
joe like i said sometimes it works.
and i have an idea [cough] of how your doing the loading.
my ruger 308, or savage 0-6 will absolutely not shoot my walt nei loverign at all, even deep seated.
and it's been run through the ringer load/alloy wise.
the rcbs silh or even the 150-fn [30-30 boolit] will run circles around it all day
the only way i could get it to even compare was to size the nose and that just changed the shape similar to the silh boolit.
yeah the neck will expand but the case ain't going too far.
it's fit,, as usual, and the boolit just ain't matching the throat.
fine by me as the loverign reigns supreme in the 30-30 bolt gun,and is a second placer in the levergun.
if i wanted to re-throat the 308 it'd be for the loverign, but it still sees jaxketed come hunting season when i gotta hoof it 15 miles.

Bass Ackward
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
You get away with this right up until the neck pulls off the case. That's when you know that the riveting of the base exceeded the strength of the brass to size it down.

So if you are going to seat deep, your bullet hardness needs to be beyond reproach for the pressure level you are creating. And the more gentle the case shoulder the better off you are too.

And yes, it HAS happened to me. Really funny feeling to extract a case that doesn't look like it did when it went in. :grin: