PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question, bullet wgt consistency

jaybirdjtski
06-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks in advance for any responses. I just started loading for a new 454 Casull, ordered a supply of bullets from two sources, 360. 345, 300 and 280 grn hard cast with gas checks. I also have some Hornady XTP Mag 240 grn JHPs.
The 360 grn bullets, from samples I've tested. weigh from around 334 grns to maybe 360 tops with most 2-4 grains on either side of 350. These are from company "A". Company "B" supplied the other weight bullets and from what I've sampled, they are within 1-2 grains of the advertised weight.

The 360s are measuring .975" versus the 345s@ .855.

What would you do regarding the 360s? Should I weigh each one and sort them out?
I've never loaded cast before and was surprised to see the variation with the heavier weight bullet as they look well cast and consistent. I imagine that accuracy would be affected shooting the same load with bullet weights ranging from 334 +/- to maybe 360. Obviously, I won't use a powder charge for 340 grain and, without checking, load a 360!

fredj338
06-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I suppose it's possible to get a 26gr variation w/ bullets that heavy, but when I cast 300gr, they usually come in within 2-3gr or I toss them back. It can mean internal voids. I would sort them from the average, but that is just me.

Bass Ackward
06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Weight variation is a distance issue. If you don't get the groups that you want, move the target closer. Most folks don't shoot the distance to see the difference. Blam them suckers and see what you get.

The watch word around here is sometimes. If you come back with accuracy problems I will look real intelligent telling you you had bullets outta specifications. Makes me look good at that time.

So in the mean time, load them up and see what happens.

Wayne Smith
06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I'd sort them into about 5 grain groups and load and shoot. If you see less accuracy in the lighter boolits that means they have internal voids. I'd not buy from that company again.