PDA

View Full Version : when to lube your boolits

Charlie Two Tracks
06-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I was wondering if it makes a difference whether you lube your boolits right after casting and then store them or wait until you need them. I am using the 45-45-10 lube. I was also wondering if dusting with Mica helps do anything. My boolits are dry after two coats of 45-45-10.

WHITETAIL
06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I size and lube mine as needed.:veryconfu

dragonrider
06-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I also size and lube as needed,

Bass Ackward
06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I mold all winter and store large quantities of slugs as from the mold, no mater if they were AC or WD. My AC are 14-15 BHN in one year and the WDWW are 18-20 BHN. Not a whole lot of difference.

Then I can size what is needed and lube with the newest wiz bang formula or even oven heat treat them later to run them back to harder levels if that is my fancy. Or I pick up another gun of the same caliber that needs larger bullets than what I sized I am screwed into firing up the pot when I would have that HUGE batch sitting there collecting dust.

Nope, can't do that conveniently if you have already sized and lubed.

fryboy
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
depending upon the alloy and the desired hardness sizing soon is often done ,as for lubing ...if a hard lube i'll lube n store if a soft lube size now n lube later

2ndAmendmentNut
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
My smokeless boolits I lube right after casting or as needed, just depends on how much time I have. I use a hard lube that requires a heater, so if the lubed boolits sit around a while it does not really make any difference.

For my black powder boolits I lube strictly as needed. The reason being is that the BP lube is soft and tends to make the whole boolit sticky if I have them sitting around for a while.

HammerMTB
06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I try to size mine within 24 hrs of casting. My theory is that before the lead gets a chance to age harden, it is sized, then can age harden at the surface, which is the size I will use.
I lube them mostly with LLA, so wait to lube til sometime shortly before I use them. Might be a week or a month, but not too long.

reloader28
06-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I used to lube right away with 50/50 mainly for something to do. Threw them in a coffee can so they ready to go. Works fine if you use them within 2 or 3 weeks. However in 4 or 5 or 6 months the lube seemed to migrate all over the bullets and dies and everything I touched when loading them.
Now I just lube them as needed and everything stays much cleaner and neater.

Char-Gar
06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I cast in quality and store until I am ready to load and shoot. I check, size and lube just before loading. Although I do have some bullets that were lubed years ago that work just fine.