PDA

View Full Version : Recycled 8mm Smallbore underhammer

357maximum
06-07-2010, 05:49 PM
A talented friend of mine made me a 13inch underhammer barrel out of a small ring turk 8mm mauser barrel for my underhammer pistol frame which he also made from scratch. I also have a scoped .50 13 incher for this frame. I was intending to shoot RB's through the 8mm at low velocity for plinking..........that plan was a bust do to the twist rate but ooh boy does it like to shoot custom 150 grain .30 cal TL X loverin plinkers. I make them out of purish lead and seat them over a homemade felt wad with 35 grains of 3F and they will all pertnear go through the same 3/8 inch hole at 50 when I am on my game. I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with it at bowhunting ranges as it will penetrate one side of a 20lb lp tank and almost make it out the other side. The boolits just barely engrave the ripples upon seating but show full rifling when recovered.........they bump up nicely apparently. I lube the whole boolit with my homemade deer tallow/microwax conical lube. The handgrip was handmade by me out of a chunk of peartree and the hammer/trigger parts are Old new stock H&A. All metal finish is multi coated Birchwood Casey plumb brown. Although I intended it as a 10grain roundball plinker, I still like it the way she is.

The Gun:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/underhammerpistol004.jpg

The ammo:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/underhammerpistol003.jpg

Please disregard the date on the pics SWMBO had the camera last.

rhbrink
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Well now that's a pretty niffty idea! Whats the bore diameter of that 8mm barrel? Was the mold designed for that barrel. Been kindof looking around for a easy combination to put on one of my underhammers, rifle though. Don't think that would be legal for deer hunting in Missouri would have to be .40 cal here. Just be something else to spend money on and get some more strange looks at the local rifle range. Anyone that knows me over there thinks that I'm a little off in the head anyway.

357maximum
06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Well now that's a pretty niffty idea! Whats the bore diameter of that 8mm barrel? .316x.323Was the mold designed for that barrel.No it is actually an old lee 6cavity 30-30 plinker group buy. Babore has a few versions of that boolit as test moulds sitting here at my house and will be available as soon as we pick the best of the lot. Been kindof looking around for a easy combination to put on one of my underhammers, rifle though.I actually have a VZ24 barrel sitting here that will go on one of my rifle frames eventually. Don't think that would be legal for deer hunting in Missouri would have to be .40 cal here. Not sure it is here either, but I think it is...not that I would...but I could...know what I mean? Just be something else to spend money on and get some more strange looks at the local rifle range. Anyone that knows me over there thinks that I'm a little off in the head anyway.

Being a little off in the head is not necessaraly a bad thing.....embrace the insanity and have fun.:mrgreen:

rhbrink
06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks I've aready been there and done that. Even started paperpatching a while back that will put you over the edge. From what I have seen crazy people have more fun anyway.

Nobade
06-08-2010, 07:33 AM
That's cool! I have been wondering if a smallbore bullet firing muzzleloader would work. Apparantly it does. This is more incentive to build a bullet barrel for my H&A underhammer.

rhbrink
06-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Do you have run a cleaning patch down the barrel between shots or can you get off several shots and still maintain acciracy?

357maximum
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Do you have run a cleaning patch down the barrel between shots or can you get off several shots and still maintain acciracy?

After about 7-8 shots it starts getting slightly snug, but it seems to not get worse with more shooting.
Most I ever shot was about 25 at a pop and I did not have to swab the bore and it still shot accurately. Until I get the right sized piece of brass I am loading this with an old soft aluminum cleaning rod and an 8mm jag with the point broke off. That is a flimsy setup but it still loads it fine after 20+ shots.

Geraldo
06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
You should put a picture of that with your signature-"Never let common sense get in the way." In other words, I don't know what you'd use it for, but its cool factor is off the charts. If you ever go to sell it I call "first". :mrgreen:

357maximum
06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
You should put a picture of that with your signature-"Never let common sense get in the way." In other words, I don't know what you'd use it for, but its cool factor is off the charts. If you ever go to sell it I call "first". :mrgreen:

Right now it's main purpose it ventilating old propane tanks. When the scoped .50 cal octagon barrel is on the frame it kinda looks like Dirty Harry met Daniel Boone ;)............I am going to kill a deer with that .50 barrel for sure and I know the 8mm would do the deed also inside 75-100 yards. Not saying I will, but I could.

FL-Flinter
06-11-2010, 07:07 AM
That's cool! I have been wondering if a smallbore bullet firing muzzleloader would work. Apparantly it does. This is more incentive to build a bullet barrel for my H&A underhammer.

Actually small bore (.36 & under) bullet rifles can shoot quite well, I have built many over the years on both flintlock and underhammer platforms.

FL-Flinter
06-11-2010, 07:09 AM
357Max,

Nice job on that one!

Mark

357maximum
06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
357Max,

Nice job on that one!

Mark

Thanks Mark.buuuuuuuuuuut............I finished it, browned it, made the grip and stoned the trigger...the rest of the credit goes to BadgerEdd....he made my wild hair into a reality. As soon as sept 15 rolls around I will see if the mtn. curs can get a treerat to hold still for me and see what happens.

WILCO
06-12-2010, 02:10 AM
In other words, I don't know what you'd use it for...

End of the rope, last word ditch gun. :shock: [smilie=s:

357maximum
06-12-2010, 02:20 AM
End of the rope, last word ditch gun. :shock: [smilie=s:

Nope........I have one of those cheap 4 shot revolving pepperboxes for that........just in case the ANIMAL is slow upstairs and the last word needs to be repeated.

FL-Flinter
06-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks Mark.buuuuuuuuuuut............I finished it, browned it, made the grip and stoned the trigger...the rest of the credit goes to BadgerEdd....he made my wild hair into a reality. As soon as sept 15 rolls around I will see if the mtn. curs can get a treerat to hold still for me and see what happens.

Edd's back at it again huh? Hummmm.... guess I'll just have to open up my "pet projects" cabinet again, not letting the cat out of the bag right now but all I can say is that pictures will be forthcoming ... [smilie=1:;-)

357maximum
06-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Actually this one was done awhile back. Edd is a busy boy as of late with some family matters.

Geraldo
06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Right now it's main purpose it ventilating old propane tanks. When the scoped .50 cal octagon barrel is on the frame it kinda looks like Dirty Harry met Daniel Boone ;)............I am going to kill a deer with that .50 barrel for sure and I know the 8mm would do the deed also inside 75-100 yards. Not saying I will, but I could.

You never know when a propane tank is going to come after you ;)

I still think it's the coolest thing. I'm gonna have to figure out how these underhammers are made.

357maximum
06-13-2010, 11:58 AM
They are really not all that difficult. I think most of an underhammers allure is the simplicity of the thing.

Here is a pic of the parts(original Hopkins and Allen made by Numerich Arms, which are the hardest things to get. I was lucky and bought what I needed when a feller on gunbroker was cleaning out some new old stock. FL-Flinter and John Taylor, both members here may be able to help with parts/advice and building. John Taylor built me a beautiful brass frame and I was very tickled with his work and FL-Flinter carries the parts and kits.

Once you have the parts a toolmaker or machinist can hook you up from there. All my frames are built to take a 5/8 breech plug. Some of my shotgun barrels have required a bigger breechplugs and the male end is simply turned down to fit the 5/8 reciever hole in all my frames. The breechplug is merely held into the receiver via 3 setscrews....a very simple system that works very well.

FL-Flinter
06-14-2010, 04:53 AM
I have parts and complete actions.
mark@fire-iron.biz or flintlockbuilder@yahoo.com

fabil12
09-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Hello, I have never posted on here before.
I liked your underhammer concept and am building an underhammer Cook action using a small ring Mauser barrel.
Usually muzzleloaders have octagonal barrels and the nipple base is easier to seat.
How is the nipple on yours fitted? Thanks