PDA

View Full Version : Casting alloys and dropped bullet diameter?

Naphtali
06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I have not cast lead-tin ONLY bullets. Do bullets having only tin as their alloying metal drop with slightly larger diameter, as do bullets made from lead-tin-antimony-(other) alloys?

Bret4207
06-08-2010, 07:17 AM
My understanding is it's antimony that causes larger boolits to be produced.

Shiloh
06-08-2010, 07:54 AM
+1 to Bret.

It is the antimony that causes the boolits to remain larger. Has something to do with setting up before it can shrink in the cavities.

Tin is for proper fillout.

SHiloh

RobS
06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Yep the bullet will be smaller in diameter that is only tin/lead than lest say WW or Lino.

Here is a link and look at the section "Shrinkage-Bullet Diameter, Inches" Also it's a good bit of general info as well.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Naphtali
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Many thanks, guys, for the information.
Now for a follow-up question: What is a safe, accepted procedure for casting with antimony (to slightly enlarge dropped O.D.) while keeping bullets soft - and how soft would be "soft?"

I am beginning casting for a muzzleloading rifle. I want the projectile to be harder than pure lead - but not hard. Since I do not yet have the barrel, I am uncertain what is its actual bore-groove diameters. That's why I'm attempting to identify a procedure to give me a few thousandths wiggle room on projectile diameter. I do not want the projectile comparably hardened as are my smokeless powder bullets. I do not want the projectile to be brittle. Probably, the procedure to achieve what I want includes some sort of oven baking. This, again, is something I have not done - air cooling, yes; water dropping, yes; but no baking.

Cherokee
06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll leave the real answer to those who shoot muzzleloaders - but - I have always read you should use pure lead.