PDA

View Full Version : Boolits are cracking

Duckhunter
06-07-2010, 12:14 AM
I cast a hundred or so .45 boolits this weekend and as I was casting, I dropped a pair of boolits out of the mold and one of them split in half. I then inspected several others and found that several of them had cracks. The mold was a 200 grain HP by Mihec. Beautiful mold and works smoothly. I then noticed that the sprue was brittle and eaisly broken, sometimes by dropping from the mold to the bench. The fillout on these were perfect.

Is my lead too hard? The lead I was using was range scrap so I don't have any way to tell the composition.

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Sounds like the alloy was too hot, or you were casting too fast.

sagacious
06-07-2010, 12:28 AM
You're not waiting long enough for the alloy to solidify completely, as Starmetal noted. When the bullets are still hot, they can be dented or broken easily. Drop your bullets on a soft cotton towel folded double a couple times. That gives 'em a soft landing.

Range scrap is not likely to ever be too hard for the 45ACP, and often works quite well. Good luck.

fredj338
06-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Sounds like the alloy was too hot, or you were casting too fast.
Agreed, this happens when I cast w/ Lee alum molds mostly. They get hot quickly, so once upto temp, back the pot temp down some & slow down.

Duckhunter
06-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the temp.

DH

cajun shooter
06-07-2010, 08:23 AM
The easy way to stop this is buy another mold just like it and use them both. This will give you the time break you need to use. On some two cavity I use three of them so that I can keep a steady run going without stopping for a sheep counting session.

thegreatdane
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Yes, the two-mold system works well. I alternate two lee 6-bangers. While one is in use, the other is left open, across the top of a coffee can to maximize cooling. I pour three - switch, three - switch. Those 6-cavity molds put out a huge amount in a short time (x2).

I quench all my .45 to minimize cracking, denting, and cooling time. The added hardness is benificial to me, as I hate dented bases or other indentions.

I'm using a Lee 4-20 with the temp between 6 and 7.5, but i don't have a thermometer. I play it by ear. If they're frosty, I turn the temp down or allow my molds to cool a little longer.

Echo
06-08-2010, 01:18 AM
I have had the same problem w/6-banger Lees, and solved it by keeping a sopping wet shop towel in an Al foil tray. When I think things are getting too hot, I lay the filled mold sprue-side down on the towel, and let it steam for a few seconds, maybe 5 seconds. Cools things nicely, and away we go. Have to replenish the H2O every so often.