PDA

View Full Version : Top Shot on History Channel

deltaenterprizes
06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Good show!

docone31
06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
So, I am not the only one.
My wife is with her daughter, and I have the clicker!
Good show.
Looking forward to more.

MtGun44
06-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I liked it too. A bit heavy on the psychological stuff, and some of the shooting looked
fairly easy, but interesting show.

I'm still trying to figure how you can miss a 6-8" target at 100 yds with a 03 Springfield 30
times! Mine will shoot into 1.5" at 100 any time off of the bench. Set the rear sight centered
and on "100" and it will shoot M2 ball to POA and into 2"-3" every time. Match ammo will
go tighter. Even a strong crosswind won't move a .30-06 round very much at 100 yds.

Bill

bigboredad
06-07-2010, 12:40 AM
I too was amazed that a marine sniper had trouble at 100 yards. But I was very Impressed by the 22 year old kid that only took 2 shots o hit the 600 yd target in the wind. I don't really care for the parts they show of them bickering I personally think that really takes away from the show

HeavyMetal
06-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Watched it and won't again.

Shooting was cool but they use the same "suvivor" format that I hate: pitch two or more teams against each other and then pitch team members against each other!

The idea is that bickering and bad sportsmanship sell ratings!

In an era where "gun" is just a three letter word for "evil" I think this show could have been formatted better. Several shows done in a manner to promote the shooting sports, offer cash awards to charity and match the winners would have been a much better idea.

One does not see Super Bowl players pitted against team members during time outs and half time why to these guys have to do it?

Guess I will google the History channel and write a letter.

Buckshot
06-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Watched it and won't again.

Shooting was cool but they use the same "suvivor" format that I hate: pitch two or more teams against each other and then pitch team members against each other!

The idea is that bickering and bad sportsmanship sell ratings!

In an era where "gun" is just a three letter word for "evil" I think this show could have been formatted better. Several shows done in a manner to promote the shooting sports, offer cash awards to charity and match the winners would have been a much better idea.

One does not see Super Bowl players pitted against team members during time outs and half time why to these guys have to do it?

Guess I will google the History channel and write a letter.

..............I didn't see it but did see the ads. If it is similar to the other 'reality' type BS that's so popular, I think writting a letter to the History Channel would be a superb idea.

................Buckshot

JesterGrin_1
06-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Maybe they had a hard time hitting the target as someone might have adjusted the sights for them or switched rifles. Who Knows but from what I heard I do not think any of them knew how to spot shots to help the shooter.

Echo
06-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Watched it, won't watch again. Over-produced, over-directed, and not in any way representative of any shooting sports. And if I had been that ex-Marine that couldn't find the 100 yard target, I would have put one into the ground to see where the gun was shooting. Not impressed...

Gar
06-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm with HeavyMetal, the show seem to emphasize bad sportsmanship.
I was not impressed with some of the comments/excuses made by team members. Looks like another “reality” show that I can miss.

anachronism
06-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I was too much like "Survivor" for my tastes too. I despise reality TV shows, they're just not very realistic :). Hopefully this is not going to be a trend on History.

06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
It's got guns in so i'll watch it, that and a blogger on my reader is in it so i'll watch it to support him.

cbrick
06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I was extremely disappointed. Won't watch again.

Top shot my hieny, half the people on this forum could out shoot those actors and with boolits too.

Impressed with the kid at 500? Don't think for a second that everything you saw wasn't scripted well in advance.

The problem with reality TV shows is that the one thing completely absent is reality.

Rick

MT Gianni
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
I liked it too. A bit heavy on the psychological stuff, and some of the shooting looked

I'm still trying to figure how you can miss a 6-8" target at 100 yds with a 03 Springfield 30
times! Mine will shoot into 1.5" at 100 any time off of the bench. Set the rear sight centered
and on "100" and it will shoot M2 ball to POA and into 2"-3" every time. Match ammo will
go tighter. Even a strong crosswind won't move a .30-06 round very much at 100 yds.

Bill

Old eyes was the reason I thought of. I considered the bickering minor and had to confess to my wife that I had watched my first reality show.

deltaenterprizes
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I like it because it is about guns. Yes it is a "reality" show and I do not like that format either. It is showing guns in a positive light.
The guy missing the target shows what stress can do when you are shooting and I think this will be a big part of the show.

Heavy lead
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
The spotting (or lack thereof) tells the story of the talent on this show, it appears to be very blah. I almost laughed when they announced they were shooting the first target at 50 yards with an 03, and the target was head sized. Typical Hollywood.
The History Channel has been going downhill for awhile, this kicks it down a little faster.

cwskirmisher
06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Ditto everyone's sentiments. I too disliked the reality show format. They had hyped the show as being a challenging shooting show with recreations of famous shots from history. Haven't seen any of that yet, except the interpersonal 'positioning' among the contestants. And I too was really amazed at the lack of spotting ability - even when the female quipped "I can't find the f-ing target" - really? Can't find a watermellon sized target at 100 yards in a spotting scope with a 50 yard FOV? Besides, if you can't hit it at 100 yards after several dozen shots, spotter or not - open the bolt, put the gun down, and walk away, you deserve to be eliminated.
But - it's a shooting show, so I will watch it for what it is, and ignore the reality parts and concentrate on the firearms and the challenges.
Interestingly, my wife watched with me, and after 5 minutes said, "this show won't last"... she too hated the format as "extremely boring - too drawn out - let's see more of the actual shooting skills".

Blammer
06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I watched part of it, it sucked, I kept turning away watchin something else till they got to the shooting part.

One look at the spotter and he didn't know how to look through the scope, that's for sure.

It's stupid, poor format IMO, I'll not be watching it again.

The Double D
06-07-2010, 10:34 AM
The best women they could find was one who came out top shooter in her academy class and she doesn't even know how to adjust a spotting scope...

The old marine puts his first shot on target and fire 30 more searching for the bullseye and his former Marine Army spotter can't give him a correction from the first shot.

The Kid talked a good game, knew the corrections and how to read Whines when he get picked to elimination round.

Hardcast416taylor
06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I really doubt I`ll waste my time watching this BS again! If I wanted to hear people boast how good they were, but aren`t, I`ll go to a board meeting of our local gun club.Robert

GT27
06-07-2010, 11:03 AM
At least they have guns depicted in this show in somewhat of a positive manner,not too many others have them depicted this way,except the Outdoor channel and that's only if your already pro-gun ,and maybe a couple others.I will give them my rating if only for this reason!!I agree that the format on firearms in general could have been on a more positive level!!!

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree, didn't like the bickering and format. Plain and simple, that Marine couldn't shoot. You know many of us could have hit that target with a revolver that he spent over 30 shots on.

They also said the first series of rifles were WWI rifles. Well the 03 and Mosin certainly were, but the SVT was not.

That 22 year old made an ass out of that Marine and I though he should have for all the kaka he took from the Marine's buddies. If I were on the team I would select the shooter's ability, the hell with if the guy is your buddy...a buddy that can't shoot can get your butt killed in war. It was obvious that, that marine couldn't shoot. As for spotters that woman said she couldn't find the target in the spotting scope, yet her buddy hit the target.

lawboy
06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Positive: Show spotlights guns and shooters.
Negatives: What a bunch of hooey!
Verdict: Jury is still out.
My curiosity will keep me watching for a little longer.

AZ-Stew
06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm still waiting for the slingshot competition.

Other than that, I agree with the comments here. As to the spotting, recall that the background behind the targets was vegitation. Not easy to spot a bullet that disappears into the brush. But, then, at those ranges, the guy shouldn't have missed in the first place.

Regards,

Stew

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm still waiting for the slingshot competition.

Other than that, I agree with the comments here. As to the spotting, recall that the background behind the targets was vegitation. Not easy to spot a bullet that disappears into the brush. But, then, at those ranges, the guy shouldn't have missed in the first place.

Regards,

Stew

Exactly....if I remember correctly that Marine just about centered that 50 yard target. That rifle should have still be darn close for the second target. He got ruffled.

DCP
06-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Positive: Show spotlights guns and shooters.
Negatives: What a bunch of hooey!
Verdict: Jury is still out.
My curiosity will keep me watching for a little longer.

Could not have said it any better

JesterGrin_1
06-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Yep he got ruflled and just in a plain hurry. He forgot slow is fast.

Throckmorton
06-07-2010, 12:01 PM
One comment that I questioned,the comment about the 03 being used up to and including the Vietnam war.
?

I don't like so-called 'reality's shows at all,but watched because it involved guns and shooting.
mediocre shooting by 'experts' as it turned out.My 7 year old grandson could outshoot the 'trained Marine'.

May watch again,but will for sure skip the slingshot episode. sheesh

jameslovesjammie
06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
The guy everybody keeps refering to as "The marine who couldn't shoot" is actually Mike Seeklander. He CAN shoot, but there was definitely something wrong with him that day. He had absolutely NO help from his spotter, anyway.

Mike did 5 years active duty and 4 years reserve serving in Desert Shield/Storm. He was a part of the Knox County Sheriff's Department's Special Operations Response Team from 1995-98, from 1998-01 he was an investigator/officer in the Organized Crime division of the Knoxville Police Department. He served as Branch Chief and instructor at the Federal Air Marshall Training Divison, also serving as an Air Marshall himself. He is currently owner/instructor of the U.S. Shooting Academy.

Mike was the 2000 Tennessee State Pistol Champion, 2001 Georgia State Pistol Champion, multi time winner of the South Carolina pistol championship, Northwest (region 7) Area champion, and a top ten finisher in 3-gun championships. He has placed in the World Speed Shooting championships and Action Pistol championships. He is a Grandmaster in USPSA.

The only guys on the show I have even heard of were Seeklander and JJ Racaza. I think one of the guys to watch is Denny Chapman...the cowboy. He has a background in Benchrest, USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and is a top Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association champ. Quite a better rounding of skills than most of them.

I'm guessing Mike's loss on Top Shot was why he posted this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSsFhucoLI4

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=jameslovesjammie;915532]The guy everybody keeps refering to as "The marine who couldn't shoot" is actually Mike Seeklander. He CAN shoot, but there was definitely something wrong with him that day. He had absolutely NO help from his spotter, anyway.

Mike did 5 years active duty and 4 years reserve serving in Desert Shield/Storm. He was a part of the Knox County Sheriff's Department's Special Operations Response Team from 1995-98, from 1998-01 he was an investigator/officer in the Organized Crime division of the Knoxville Police Department. He served as Branch Chief and instructor at the Federal Air Marshall Training Divison, also serving as an Air Marshall himself. He is currently owner/instructor of the U.S. Shooting Academy.

Mike was the 2000 Tennessee State Pistol Champion, 2001 Georgia State Pistol Champion, multi time winner of the South Carolina pistol championship, Northwest (region 7) Area champion, and a top ten finisher in 3-gun championships. He has placed in the World Speed Shooting championships and Action Pistol championships. He is a Grandmaster in USPSA.

The only guys on the show I have even heard of were Seeklander and JJ Racaza. I think one of the guys to watch is Denny Chapman...the cowboy. He has a background in Benchrest, USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and is a top Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association champ. Quite a better rounding of skills than most of them.

I'm guessing Mike's loss on Top Shot was why he posted this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSsFhucoLI4[/QUOT

Poor loser, that's why he made the video. He definitely couldn't shoot under pressure in that show. Not saying I'm better then any of those guys, but I would have cleaned Mike's slate on that first stage with my Krag with cast!!!!

If you remember correctly his spotter put him in the white of the target top left in one of the early shots. With that knowledge and 30 more shots he couldn't do it????? And he's a good shooter?????

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm only half serious boys. Mike actually doesn't live too far from me and in another thread on here I mentioned I might give him a holler and invite him over.

jameslovesjammie
06-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Mike's take on the show:

http://www.shooting-performance.com/top_shot_show_98.html

snuffy
06-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I liked the show, I've never wasted any time on the survivor series, so I don't know how that works. Any representation of the shooting sports HAS to be positive. We can bicker about the format, but it's better than watching Am. idol.

Mike was peaking! I DVR'd the show, that allowed me to slow down his shooting posture. He was either flinching or peaking to see if he hit the exploding targets. Any time your face leaves the stock, you'll miss! It could happen to anybody under pressure.

I liked the kids attitude. He's relying on skill instead of reputation. Arrogance has to be earned, then it's OK with me. I will watch more of the shows, the DVR is set to record them.

Heavy lead
06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Interesting read, just goes to show you that pride can kill. Certainly he has himself to blame as he never should've taken the kid on at that time.

wallenba
06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I am amazed that after so many tries, that fella could not hit the 100 yard target. I suspect that someone from the other team who shot it last the day before may have cranked in some windage, and it went unnoticed.

MtGun44
06-07-2010, 01:45 PM
MT gianni --

As to age, isI am 59 and could guaranteed hit that 100 yd target sooner than 30 shots. I have
the rifle and know for sure that the normal, run of the mill 03 will hit center at 100 when the
rear is set on 100 and the windage mark is centered. Maybe somebody twisted the windage
screw between the first shooter at 50 and the second guy.

If this Mike guy is primarily a pistol shooter, he may not know much about rifle shooting. I
consider myself mostly a pistol guy, but have spent much of the last 15 years learning about
rifle shooting, high power and Swiss competition now. I have learned a whole lot about sights
and especially wind adjustment. I was impressed that the kid really know what he was about
in the wind shooting. This takes range time and understanding of your cartridge, that's it.

Never ever seen one single episode of Survivor (proud, too) but if this bickering **** is what
it is about, I'll tune it out pretty soon.

The wife said, "Who ARE these people, YOU can outshoot them, how come you never got
asked?" Probably close to right, and I'll bet half the shooters on this board could do it
too.

Bill

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
A very contradictory post by him. First he says he knew where he was hitting (my god a rifle dead on at 50 yards and he was missing by 15 feet at 100 yards!!) then why didn't he adjust himself and forget the spotter. Easy to blame the spotter. Then he says he got his butt kicked lots before...well there's the proof, he's not that great a shooter under a certain circumstances.

They kicked the right person off the team in my opinion.

montana_charlie
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Mike's reputation preceeded him, and he knew it. He 'took over' as boss of Red Team at his earliest opportunity, and he decided who would shoot which target in the first round of competition.
He said later that he had only practiced a little with the '03, yet he placed himself in the role of taking the 'long' shot with that rifle.

As poor as his shooting position was, I think the one shot that impacted on the target was a fluke.

He may be the world's greatest pistol shot, but when it comes to rifles...he probably does better with the bayonet.

If I can stand to watch any more episodes, I'll be interested to see how the old guy does. The one who barely made the rope crossing.
When it came time for him to shoot, there was no foolin' around. He seemed pretty capable, to me.

CM

GT27
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Everybody's got to remember 100K on the line,double crosses I'm sure are inevitable,and not to be ruled out! As well as the bragging rights!!As far as Mike goes I thought he was a great talker from the start,but when It comes time to prove it,it's usually Maggy's drawers with his type...My dad always said "Let your actions do the talking", no truer words ever spoken!!

AZ-Stew
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Maybe he took himself out because he couldn't compete with the others with some arms. Maybe they paid him to take a dive, just to add some "suspense" to the program.

Regards,

Stew

lawboy
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
One thing I could not understand is why none of them flipped up the ladder sight and set it to 50 and then 100 yards. They all used the emergency battle sight visible with the ladder flipped down. I do believe that sight is regulated to over 500 yards and that would account for a lot of the missing if the shooter did not understand that fact about the rear sight. Not a single spotter during the sight-in time was calling shots in any method I have ever heard of, particularly when iron sights are being used. None of them used the clock face method of identifying shot location around the circumference of the target and none of them used the MOA or inch method for indicating distance from the center of the target. Example: "9 o'clock, two inches out," and so forth. There are other methods that are recognized to work but I would have used those.
I do know Chad a little having shot with him at the CA IDPA championship last year, and socialized a bit with him during and after the two-day event. He is very capable with a handgun and I anticipate he will do very well at that. I do not know anything about his rifle or shotgun skills.

P.S. I applied but did not get on the show.

4570guy
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I'll bet you're right about the battle sight. Nobody I saw on TV seemed to know they needed to raise the ladder sight for target shooting. In Mike's blog he admitted he'd never handeled an '03 before. If you didn't understand how the sight worked, I can see the difficulty.

I'm impressed the kid hit the 600 yd target on his second shot in a pretty stiff wind. I take it that the cast didn't have much of a chance to zero the various rifles during practice.

06-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I am amazed that after so many tries, that fella could not hit the 100 yard target. I suspect that someone from the other team who shot it last the day before may have cranked in some windage, and it went unnoticed.

his spotter knocked it out at 50 yards, so i'm thinking that might be unlikely since they appeared to using thier own "team" sets of guns but I could be wrong.:brokenima

4570guy
06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I think they had the front sight protector on the 03 as well! Doh! So much for "Vintage Rifle Experts".

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I'd like to see the show done with cast boolits!!!!!!![smilie=w:

montana_charlie
06-07-2010, 07:44 PM
None of them used the clock face method of identifying shot location around the circumference of the target and none of them used the MOA or inch method for indicating distance from the center of the target. Example: "9 o'clock, two inches out," and so forth.
I'd have to see a replay to be sure, but I think the girl did.

When she finally found her shooter's target she almost dropped the scope, but she hunkered down to look at it. I think she said he had a hit "at 2 o'clock"...but maybe she meant he hit the white 'two hours after lunch'.

CM

mold maker
06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I was really upset that I had to miss the show, but it sounds as if it's a good thing I did. I hate the reality show format, and will not watch a minute of it.
I had high hopes for the show. Looks as if I would have been terribly disappointed.

sargenv
06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Well, I have to watch it since... well, I know one of the contestants personally.. Brad.. looks like he gets to go against Blake in the pistol shootout, and Blake is no slouch either. Every time I asked him something he of course had to say "I can't tell you that".. so I watch.. but advance past all the silly stuff..

lawboy
06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I'd have to see a replay to be sure, but I think the girl did.

When she finally found her shooter's target she almost dropped the scope, but she hunkered down to look at it. I think she said he had a hit "at 2 o'clock"...but maybe she meant he hit the white 'two hours after lunch'.

CM

I rewatched it and you are right, she did once she got the scope working. I missed some stuff the first time around that I picked up on the rewatch just now. It was not so bad. I will keep watching.

Cherokee
06-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Watched it, was not impressed generally, probably will watch again because it is shooting guns.

MtGun44
06-07-2010, 09:56 PM
My wife was in and out of the room and commented " They sure don't know anything about
spotting, either - what is all that chit-chat and excess noise? You taught me years ago you
only want two things, clock position and inches from center."

I was proud of her. Seems like they need a bit of basic training as spotters, too.

Bill

dk17hmr
06-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I thought the game looked like alot of fun and would do it if I got the chance. The format was boring.....they need more shooting and less talkin.

Season two...Team Cast Boolits vs "experts"

StarMetal
06-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I thought the game looked like alot of fun and would do it if I got the chance. The format was boring.....they need more shooting and less talkin.

Season two...Team Cast Boolits vs "experts"

......and less commercials :p

David2011
06-08-2010, 12:01 AM
>>"Top shot my hieny, half the people on this forum could out shoot those actors and with boolits too."

Like Blake Miguez, I'm an IPSC Limited shooter. I had to follow Blake through 12 stages at the Louisiana Gator Classic 2 years ago. Talk about feeling impotent! Trust me, he is no actor. I'm still not convinced that a normal human can shoot as fast as he does. Blake and I both shoot a .40 cal. STI Edge. The only difference is that mine doesn't seem to have a selective fire button. Not only is he phenomonally fast but he is accurate. At the Gator last year he had the fastest time of anyone on one stage. The fastest Open shooter shot "Retrieve locked and loaded weapon from a brief case, shoot 3 shots each at 2 targets, reload, shoot 3x2, reload, shoot 3x2" in 8.4 freakin' seconds. By comparison, I was in the top 25% of 200 shooters on that stage at 12.98 or so. Blake shot it with iron sights in 8 seconds flat- 18 rounds with 2 reloads!

David

sargenv
06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I shoot Revolver division mostly and dabble in the other divisions.. Brad is pretty good around our range and one of the few GM's in the club but I don't know if he is at the same caliber GM as Blake is. He can be really fast when he is on but can crash and burn dramatically if he has a bad day.. JJ is also right up there in the top end of IPSC/USPSA/Steel Challenge. Brad does do the 3-gun thing so that might help him later on if he gets that far.

garandsrus
06-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Mike was pretty terrible with the 03. When he produced his video, he was using an 03-A3. I don't think he knows the difference... I watched his video and can't see the "hits", only hear him say that he hit the target. Watching him shoot offhand and call "hit" is pretty much a joke. The muzzle is moving all over the place.

John

BarryinIN
06-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Like people said: At least it portrays shooting in a positive light.
Maybe that's why I expected more from it and was disappointed.

I'm not so put off by the shooting as the attitudes the producers (or whoever) focused on or created. It was 10 minutes of shooting and 50 minutes of chest puffing. And I expect it was edited to look that way for "dramatic effect".

I sorta know one of the guys on there. He is one of the people who designs and sets up courses at one of the clubs where I shoot IDPA. I hardly know him, but he seems like a good guy and sure does not seem like a cocky braggart. I guess that's why I had to look real hard to even see him on the show. Apparently that isn't the type they wanted to highlight on there.
Which is a shame.

I also doubt the people we did see were as cocky as they were made out to be. Gotta add drama don't you know. Film of people shooting might bore some viewers. I suppose they miss the fact that those are just the type of viewers who wouldn't tune in to begin with.

Another thing, FWIW:
I was in my favorite gun shop back in late Jan/early Feb, and the owner had just got a call from his wife who was at the SHOT Show. She shoots 3-gun matches all over the country and is pretty good at it. She had called him because she had just been told she was selected for some shooting show being planned for the History Channel. I didn't know it at the time, but it turned out to be this show.
A month or two later, I asked them about this, and he just grumbled a bit so I didn't pry. But the show he described when she got the call sounds different from what I saw last night. That sounded more like an actual competition where everybody takes a turn with each gun/bow/etc then they tally up the scores, not this choose teams and vote people off the island silliness. Maybe she bailed when she got a look at what it was really going to be like. I have heard that is what happened with others who were supposed to be on there.

Char-Gar
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Watched one episode and probably won't watch another. It reminded me of Survivor, but with guns. Way too much drama, I get enought of that just being married.

BarryinIN
06-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I just wanted to add that a camera can have an effect of people, and I can understand if that was some of it.

At the last shooting class I took, they came around asking for volunteers to stay over and film a segment for a TV show. Four of us stayed and the instructor ran us through a few drills on camera.

Everybody seemed to handle shooting on camera OK (with the camera off to the side you don't even know it's there), but when they interviewed us it was a different story (the camera was right in your face). Two guys chatted away like pros, but two of us...well, they didn't use our film. I had nice things I had wanted to say about the instructor for several years, but with the camera stuck in my face, I could only give one word replies.

I'm not saying this had an effect on anyone's performance in Top Shot, but I saw that it can.
On the other hand, by the time they fired their first shots, they surely had been around the cameras a while.

StarMetal
06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Every single show of that type had the fighting in it. I like motorcycles so started watching American Chopper. Wasn't long before I quit. Same with American Hot Rod. I do believe the directors want the fighting for more drama. Too bad.

shooterg
06-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Been a better show if they'd all shot each weapon in each scenario to determine actual Top Shot. The Mike guy may be super good with a pistol, but we'll never see it. Terrible format, but I'll watch again - not likely another show on in the time slot with guns anyway !

Aero
06-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I watched the replay of the show last night right after my wife finished watching "Bachelorette". I don't see much difference in the between the two.

The popularity of the reality shows is amazing to me, but I guess it does a good job of sucking the brains out of your head, which along with selling you things seems to be two of the things tv is designed for.

I'll probably watch again just because it involves shooting guns in a favorable light. Maybe it will get better as it goes, but that is more wishful thinking than anything else.

Freightman
06-08-2010, 03:24 PM
TV the greatest sleep aid ever invented! My wife says "how can you be asleep in less than a minute? answer TV

StarMetal
06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
TV has reached depths lower then whale poop. I mean when you have a british woman come to your house and example your poop to see how you're eating.....that's BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!! You have to be crazy to what poop like that. There is total poop on TV anymore.

I see TV as the major means for the Democrats to spread their proganda and influence voters. TV also has shown us that being a homosexual is okay.

deerslayer
06-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I sent the History channel my thoughts which consisted of a long winded email that said Lose the drama and shoot the guns about every other sentence. I explained that good sportsman build each other up not conspire and seethe to beat another. Skill is what should matter not who can gain a friend quicker.

If everyone on this site would send them an Email maybe they would listen!!

HeavyMetal
06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
deerslayer:
Post the e mail addy I haven't had time to do a google search for it.

Then we can all tell them what we think!

deerslayer
06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Here is the place for comments: http://www.aetn.com/global/feedback/contact.jsp?site=HistoryChannel.com&NetwCode=THC

montana_charlie
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the link, deerslayer. I wrote this...

About your new Top Shot show...
You gathered a group of highly capable shooters in order to put on a show about highly capable shooting.
Instead, you produced a soap opera about interpersonal realtionships, interspersed with ego trips, one-up-man-ship, and carnival-quality shooting games.

The 'dramatic' shoot off which sent Mike home was the only instance (so far) displaying a realistic level of actual skill.

You may as well bring in the 'Real Housewives' to keep the boys company between 'matches'.

HeavyMetal
06-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Just spent the last 30 minutes writing a letter to A&E at the posted link given by deerslayer.

Gave them my e mail addy. I honestly expect either no response or some "canned" hack message thanking me for my concerns!

Plan to dig up an e mail addy for both Huskyvarna and Polaris, the only advertisers I saw during the one and only Top Shot show I will ever watch, and e mail them with my thoughts on this dog of a program!

deerslayer
06-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Can you imagine if everyone on this site sent them an email!!

Phillip
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
You may as well bring in the 'Real Housewives' to keep the boys company between 'matches'.

The Real Shooters of Orange County. :lol::lol::lol:

I watched it the other day, and they do seem to put emphasize on the bickering then the shooting. It makes them look like Prima Donnas then Sportsmen.

I think it would have been better for them to have all 16 contestants compete against each other then what they are doing now.

Doby45
06-08-2010, 11:31 PM
And the whole "I wanted to face Kelly cause he was the BEST" is a laughable joke. Mike got cocky, thought he could smoke the young kid and he got his butt handed to him.

HeavyMetal
06-08-2010, 11:52 PM
One can only hope they get a load of e mails letting them know that the shooters that watch these programs want better programing aimed at turning the poor vision of the shooting sports around.

Lots of ways to do that type of programing and still keep it exciting but it won't change if we don't tell them to change it!

Remember the only thing a network will listen to is the people that write checks for advertizing! Find links to the sponsers and send them copies of your e mails.

waksupi
06-09-2010, 12:13 AM
It would be more interesting if they had some of the guys from our shoots there. Harassment is unmerciful, and it is tough to shoot when you are laughing. Our mysteriously silent member #10,000, DeanD, or Ruger 1965 will testify to that! Haven't heard from #10,000 or anyone else, who was the top shooter at Lone Tree on Memorial Day?

bruce drake
06-09-2010, 01:14 AM
The entire series was probably filmed in a few days at a range. Edited together for "Drama" and is being released one week at a time.

Any changes to the horrible format will most likely not be seen until "next season" if it doesn't get cancelled before that.

Bruce

HeavyMetal
06-09-2010, 01:18 AM
All ready got the canned response from A&E.

Think the e mail system is set up to respond when ever some one keys in an e mail.

Curious to see if someone responds.

cbrick
06-09-2010, 02:14 AM
The entire series was probably filmed in a few days at a range. Edited together for "Drama" and is being released one week at a time.

Any changes to the horrible format will most likely not be seen until "next season" if it doesn't get cancelled before that. Bruce

Exactly! I've got 33 years working behind the camera in TV and NOTHING is done that isn't in the script and the script was written before the actors were hired. The entire show is scripted including who hit and missed what target and who would be the first to be thrown off the island.

Amazing how many posts in this thread that sound as if they believe it's real. News flash . . . Mickey Mouse was an animated cartoon, not real. This is exactly the same thing.

Rick

Aero
06-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Exactly! I've got 33 years working behind the camera in TV and NOTHING is done that isn't in the script and the script was written before the actors were hired. The entire show is scripted including who hit and missed what target and who would be the first to be thrown off the island.

Amazing how many posts in this thread that sound as if they believe it's real. News flash . . . Mickey Mouse was an animated cartoon, not real. This is exactly the same thing.

Rick

Its not real????!!!!

DCP
06-09-2010, 08:27 AM

Rick

Well now I am confused :veryconfu and very sad . I suppose the next thing someone says is that Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny are not real eirther. LOL

deltaenterprizes
06-09-2010, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=HeavyMetal;916963]Just spent the last 30 minutes writing a letter to A&E at the posted link given by deerslayer

HISTORY CHANNEL!:kidding:

KCSO
06-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Does this mean wrestling is fake too????

deerslayer
06-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Yes it won't change til next season. Yes there is a generated response if you read the detail it tells you there will be a generated response saying they recieved it and it also said that would be followed up on. Time will tell nothing in my inbox yet.

mold maker
06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I too watched the replay last night. Very disappointed in the format. Does everything have to follow the well worn story line of survivor???
An honest portrayal of a shooting competition would draw lots more viewers.
This was worse than a carnival side show.
The advertisers will get my mail.

Lively Boy
06-09-2010, 10:48 AM
the exploding targets were pretty cool but otherwise .... kind-of a big let down! so your saying wrestling is fake???

part_timer
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Wait your telling me that reality TV isn't real. What a bummer. I suppose that Santa's raindeer can't fly either

hoosierlogger
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Bill

I am guessing that the guns weren't sighted in all of the way. Possibly to make the shooter and the spotter work together. I could be wrong though.

BarryinIN
06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I sent them an email (thanks for the link).

I told them I understood they are trying to capture a broad audience but that doesn't work well with guns. I thought they were limiting their audience this way, because the serious shooters I know who tuned in were disappointed and non-shooters never would be interested no matter what they did.
That only leaves people who have no opinion about guns (not many) or those who think they are OK but either don't shoot much or don't own a gun at all. Not many people fall in that area, but that's who the show will appeal to.

Maybe convincing them they have made it appealing to a limited audience will do something. I imagine that's the worst thing they could hear.

But yes, if it does anything, it won't be until next year. The guy in the show from around here has been back from filming for a while, so it's all done for the year and nothing will get changed. We'll see what happens next year...if the show survives.

Blammer
06-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Wresting is FAKE! YOU LIE!

Just1Mor
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Worst thing they could have done to the shooting sports. I'll watch one more but was not impressed at all and makes our soldiers look bad when the ex-marine could not find the target with a search party. Looked like a bad MTV with guns nightmare.

I'll stick to my side of the fence....:redneck:

zardoz
06-09-2010, 09:36 PM
I just saw a replay of this, not knowing what it was.

Tuned in expecting some sort of technical or practical information.

Instead, I get staged and scripted theatrics.

If I want staged theatrics, I'd prefer to watch Clint Eastwood or Robert DeNiro shoot one of those magical recoil-less 44 Magnums. JMHO.

DCP
06-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Maybe a poll for each episode

Could go something like this

I like it
I didnt like
Undecided
I am out of here

Then send the results to the History Channel

HeavyMetal
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
The problem with a poll is that each show has to be watched to form an opinion.

Watching gives ratings which give a producer "ammo" to convince advertisers he actually has his finger on the "heartbeat" of his intended audience.

Poll=bad idea.

Geraldo
06-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Mickey Mouse was an animated cartoon, not real.

Another childhood dream shot to pieces. Thanks, Rick.

Now to Top Shooter. Some of you owe me an hour of my life I can't get back, because I only knew about the show from this thread. Well, actually about only about ten minutes due to the miracle of DVR and fast-forward. My official TV review is this: IT SUCKED. Bigtime. I mean it really sucked. Like most "reality" shows I could not endure more than a couple of minutes before thinking, "Hey, if I was on this show, I'd have started by shooting my team mates."

Now back to your regularly scheduled manly programming: baseball, football, and the Duke...

DCP
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
The problem with a poll is that each show has to be watched to form an opinion.

Watching gives ratings which give a producer "ammo" to convince advertisers he actually has his finger on the "heartbeat" of his intended audience.

Poll=bad idea.

I respectfully disagree. This thread is already a poll. (unoffical)

If on the 2nd show the majority vote, I am out of here or (I wont watch it again)
Then what

Most likley someone at History is reading this anyway

So should we stop posting here so they cant convince advertisers they actually have a finger on the "heartbeat" of their intended audience.

So you can think its a bad idea. (I dont)
But thats ok I cant post a poll anyway.
It was just a way to get more accurate information.

There were even people who liked the show.

Then there are people that have to diagaee or dont like anything.

Vaya con Dios

StarMetal
06-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I kinda re-peeked in on it during commercial breaks on another show I was watching. I noticed that on the two springfields they were shooting, one had the front sight protector on it, the other didn't. That "does" make a difference in aiming and would bother some shooters. The one rifle, when they had a close up of it, had a stock on it that looked like it was pulled out of a WWI trench. Very rough grainy appearance. I wonder too how they were sighted or even what condition the bores were in. Just some notes.

mac1911
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
They need to ditch the crappy back ground music and take the "lets see how they feel and act" SHUT UP AND SHOOT. I would rather watch impossible shots and the cowbow shooting on the out door channel. Please tell me that the directors of these shows do not get the contestants to piss and moan and creat vsome sort of drama. Good shooting with variety of instruments is all it will take to capture rateings. Even the sniper competition is better to watch.............I did think the use of the SVT-40 was pretty cool completely unsuspected.

mold maker
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I was shocked to see it rerun again last night. I certainly didn't watch it. The first time was way too painful.

BarryinIN
06-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I was shocked to see it rerun again last night. I certainly didn't watch it. The first time was way too painful.

Every time I look at that channel, it's on. I know it's been on four times, if not five, since Sunday.
My first thought was they are doing that because they paid a lot for it and need to get their money's worth. I hope not, though.

Lee
06-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Somebody at History needs to study their history, lest they repeat it.

P.S. Do I have to refund all my money to the Tooth Fairy???:groner:

MtGun44
06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
They were shooting the battle sight on the 03's. The battle sight is NORMALLY set to be
on at 547 yds (why 547, who knows?) like most rifles of that era, the expectation was to be
shooting at standing troops by aiming at the belt buckle and hit anywhere from about 0 to
600 yds.

The trick is to flip up the rear sight. Magically you have a nice peep sight with 100, 200, 300, etc
marked. Set the windage (whole sight moves with a knob on the right of the rear sight)
to zero (may have not been there, these clueless folks may have never looked at the
rear sight) and the slider to "100" and MY multiple 1903s will hit dead on at 100 yds with
milspec ammo. They should have figured this out in the testing/sight in session the day
before, but apparently nobody even knew enough to examine the rear sight. Upon a quick
look it is VERY obvious - nobody told me anything about how it works, I figured it out by
a short inspection.

Looks like too many pistoleros and not enough riflemen. I was in this category up until about
15 yrs ago. Knew how to work a scoped hunting rifle just fine, and was a real decent pistol
shot. I knew VERY little about long range shooting or military rifles. I have since (at least
partially) corrected that. Qualified for two Swiss medals yesterday at 300 meters with a
K31, as an example. Lots more to learn but I have come a long way and can appreciate
how clueless a "good shooter" can be if too compartmentalized.

Bill

pjh421
06-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Talking about it and doing it are two different things. After running a partial obstacle course I don't care who you are, you won't shoot as well as is possible when you are relaxed. Been there, done that. The show itself is a bit too glossy for me. Its not so much about shooting as it is about screwing over your team mates to get ahead. That aspect of it really put me off. I don't care for the drama but regarding the rest of this country, I guess I'm in the minority. It just seems so hokey to me. They could improve things by providing some explanation of what the shooter is facing, how he could be expected to deal with each challenge/circumstance, what equipment is available and what are its capabilities, who in the past has used this equipment and to what end, etc. I think that would make for a more relevent and interesting presentation. They can stick the Hollywood aspect where the sun don't shine. I wouldn't be too hard on the shooters. They undoubtedly have very little say-so in the scripting of these events.

Paul

zardoz
06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
They were shooting the battle sight on the 03's. The battle sight is NORMALLY set to be
on at 547 yds (why 547, who knows?)

A quick figure, is 547 yards is 500 meters.

547 X 36= 19,692 inches.

19,692 in. divide by 39.37 in/meter = 500.2 meters.

Perhaps this was why?

HeavyMetal
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
dcp:
Agreeing to disagree, civilly, is the mark of gentleman. I was not attempting to insult your idea.

My thoughts on the idea of a poll remain the same, that doesn't mean I would not particpate in one of it were posted.

But I doubt those results or the comments on this thread would mean anything to the producers of such drivel as Top Shot.

What I think would make a difference is the advertisers who pay by the minute to be associated with this show telling the producers that they were with drawing support because of public opinion.

Getting the advertisers to make a stand is what will make a difference in future programing.

One of the first things I learned in sales ws the importance of public opinion.

1 most people don't care
2 those that do care won't take the time to do anything about it
3 if someone takes the time to make a call they must be real unhappy
4 if they actually take the time out of thier day to write a complaint this person is pissed off and something needs to be done.
5 the more responses in the nature of number 4 that any company gets really has a tendency to set up alaming reactions from sales and marketing.

Actions have always spoken louder than words which is why I spent the time sending the useless e mail via the link posted by deerslayer.

I do not expect a response and I do not expect a change and I would be very surprised if there were not being "flushed" out of the e mail system as soon as they were opened.

But I still took the time to make my voice heard, if someone is listening.

I suggest everyone do the same.

MtGun44
06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I never thought that meters had ANYTHING to do with US measurement in the WW1
era! Good call. Somehow I hadn't though in terms of meters for that time in
the US Army.

Interesting that the flip up ladder sight is marked in yards, tho.

I also would like to correct my earlier comments. The first two (lowest) range lines are
NOT marked numerically. The third is marked "3", the next "4", the next "5" and
so on. The witness line on the movable part of the sight runs all the way across
exactly on the center level of the peep, so it is easy to know that the peep is
being set for the marked range. My previous comments were based on my memory,
and I went and got an '03 and actually looked at the sight this time.

So - does require a close look at the sight, but once you understand the purpose of
the range numbering system (very obvious) and then at the bottom, see the "3" line and
that there are two more lines, each lower, made it pretty clear to me the first time I
shot the 1903.

Bill

casterofboolits
06-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree, too much BSand not enough shooting. I was flabergasted with the number of rounds fired at 100 yards with the O3!

I had a Remington 03A1 given to me by my Dad when I got out of the service in 1965. The rifle was able to keep 8 out of 10 rounds in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket at 500 yards with military ball which we paid $4.00 for! My, how times have changed.

FWIW, I think the sights of the rifle used was jiggerd by the show's crew to create some drama.

MT Gianni
06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
FWIW, I think the sights of the rifle used was jiggerd by the show's crew to create some drama.
If so he had the option of using the other gun that broke the 50 yd target. He admitted in a blog to shooting at the ground to see where they were hitting but his spotter never called those so he must not have communicated with him about it.

Missoulaz28
06-12-2010, 07:36 PM
If so he had the option of using the other gun that broke the 50 yd target.

If I remember correctly they used the same rifle and switched positions. I don't recall each team having two rifles.

canyon-ghost
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Glad the TV got struck by lightning, excuse me while I turn the radio on and go back in the reloading room. They can't vote me off the island, I own it. Time to work up some 41 mag brass. Gawd, I hate reality tv, they should see my reality.

Say yer prayers, Varmint!

Ron

deerslayer
06-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Seen the episode this evening more drama. BUT that zipline shooting was cool I need to go build my zipline! LOL

Big Country
06-14-2010, 12:16 AM
The Zip Line looks fun.

Missoulaz28
06-14-2010, 04:01 AM
I think that the episode tonight killed it for me. The show has nothing to do with finding the best all around shooter but who kisses booty the best. Why wold you let the other team choose who sits out? Why are there even teams, and why are they dropping people off every episode? The way it is it's not a shooting show, if they wanted the best marksmen you let everyone shoot everything and give points for there performance, winner takes all at the end. The way it is the best all around marksmen in the world could be knocked off if his worst event was early and some lucky dumbfugger who suck's up wins based on nothing to do with his skill.

Rant Off

Had to let it out.

dragonrider
06-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I watched the first episode and won't watch it again. I foolishly thought it would be an interesting program about skill and technique. Instead all I saw was reality show BS.

deerslayer
06-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I think that the episode tonight killed it for me. The show has nothing to do with finding the best all around shooter but who kisses booty the best. Why wold you let the other team choose who sits out? Why are there even teams, and why are they dropping people off every episode? The way it is it's not a shooting show, if they wanted the best marksmen you let everyone shoot everything and give points for there performance, winner takes all at the end. The way it is the best all around marksmen in the world could be knocked off if his worst event was early and some lucky dumbfugger who suck's up wins based on nothing to do with his skill.

Rant Off

Had to let it out.

I agree the show is not trying to find the best marksman and it is all reality drama.

Cactus Farmer
06-14-2010, 09:42 AM
"reality drama" Well said.

Waste of time and ammo. The best shooter will NOT win. Best A$$ kisser might. I could have been casting,or sleeping. Either endevor would have been much more productive.

dukenukum
06-14-2010, 09:51 AM
rant on

If my pa ever caught me shooting like that he would climb out of his grave and beat me with a spiked two by four. I grew up shooting competition and NEVER did I see such poor sportsmanship this show is no friend to gun owners
rant off.

sundog
06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I sure am glad that I almost never watch tv.

mac1911
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
again, fell asleep..........less talky more shooty

Doble Troble
06-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Any public demonstration of the excercise of second amendment rights is OK by me. The more people see guns, the less fearful they'll be.

I agree that the pistolero run-and-gunners are probably in for surprises when the rifles come out (and the sling shots, bow and arrows, etc). Shooting a pistol fast, or even a carbine in three-gun is more of a reaction skill than a precision shooting skill.

BTW I shoot run and gun a lot and suck at it - but its still fun!

82nd airborne
06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
They should at least take the ex military titles off. thats a disgrace to the shooting community. if one of my privates shot that bad and then whined about it, id smoke his rocks off. if one of my nco's shot like that, and whined, id be the worlds scardest person when it hit the fan.

RayinNH
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I was reading the local paper online looking for a story about a house fire when I ran across this article. Seems that the guy eliminated last night is a local boy. He could potentially be a member at the range I shoot at seeing that he lives in the next door town to the club. We have four hundred and some odd members and you only see the usual group at monthly meetings. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled...Ray

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100629/GJNEWS_01/706299931/-1/newstest

montana_charlie
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Hmm...I see that he is 'Jim' from the Blue Team. I was wondering how fast the 'blues' would dump him when they got to a 'challenge'.
You could tell that all of his team members were frustrated with his lack of 'speed', which would eventually be a handicap to them.

I watched the show where he got eliminated, but fell asleep halfway through.
I stayed with it long enough to see 'blue' lose, and assumed Jim would get the axe...as I was drifitng away.
CM

John 242
07-03-2010, 11:43 PM
...if one of my privates shot that bad and then whined about it, id smoke his rocks off.

LOL....
Get 'em! Smoke his bags!
LOL....

I haven't watched the show. It sounded cheesy when I saw the commercials for it.
The History Channel has been going down hill for a while. Ice Road Truckers, some show about logging, Monster Quest, the stupid UFO show and all the other nonsense that they've had on lately really pulls my chain.
Ice Road Truckers is another one of those TV shows like Most Dangerous Catch on Discovery. Although it's interesting, it's not what I expect from the HISTORY channel.
I liked shows like; Tales of The Gun, Civil War Journal, Battle Stations, Dog Fights, Wild West Tech, etc. Even Modern Marvels had some historical perspective to it.
It would be nice if the History Channel would get back to it's roots and leave the reality shows to MTV and the rest.

mooman76
07-04-2010, 12:29 AM
I've been whatching just for the guns aspect and it seems to be getting worse as it goes along just like the othe reality shows that I don't watch.

Freightman
07-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Never watched it and more than likely will not, but you are looking at this the wrong way. Most here are literal and take shooting seriously, this is for entertainment purposes only never intended for the serious shooter.

NSP64
07-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I have been watching the show for the slow mo footage. I also dislike the way the show is formatted. I record mine on the dvr that way I can watch it when I want to. I can also fast forward through the drama to the shooting. It' s also cool because I can stop it and advance 1 frame at a time to study the slow motion segments further. I agree that the show should have been about individuals scoring points and the overall point winner wins. Keep everyone there till the end.

NSP64
07-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Earlier in the spring, I ran across a show on the 'sportsmans channel'( I think) from 08 called Shooters. They shot as two man teams and the lowest two teams had a shoot off to see who went home at the end of each episode. I guess the ratings weren't there. Tried to google and couldn't find anything.:cry:

West Creek
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I've been watching the show and I'm refreshed that there IS a show about shooting beyond the history and battlefield aspects of it. I never get to watch the olympic shooting sports on TV. Realistically shooting sports are not spectator sports and can be boring as mud to the spectator.
This show is presenting and focusing on the drama because that is the part of the show most of the public can relate to.

Lets face it the shooting and gun handling society is of the minority for sure.

I would really like to see a show where the contestants are judged based on their skills and leave out the drama as well but a prime time TV show has to appeal to the majority.

BTW - I think Kelly is gonna be the winner. His skill at adapting and overcoming the obstacles seams to be one of the best. He has consistantly performed WELL with weapons he is not familiar or practiced with.

timkelley
07-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Oh Boy, another reality show...NOT!

izzyjoe
07-04-2010, 10:58 AM
i think that all the channels are pretty stale, all of them have been ruined some way or another. alot of channel i used to watch alot i can't stand anymore. look what they done to tv land. used to a good channel. old rerun's of old shows, not anymore it's moslty back to back over edited movies,and stupid informericals. besides it's nice outside and i can find better things to do with my time.:D

waksupi
07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I recently had "Top Sniper" from Netflix. I believe the series aired on the History Channel. It was a good shooting show, with military, and a few civilian teams competing in various scenarios. It was a no-nonsense type program, where you could actually learn some things. Highly recommended.

abunaitoo
07-05-2010, 01:53 AM
The guy Brad comes off as a cry baby.
"I'm a master shooter. I shouldn't have to shoot a bow and arrow"
"it just stupid"
If he feels that way, why doesn't he just quit!!!!!!
He sounds like one of those lib/dam-a-craps.

The show is not what I thought it would be.
I expected a more professional and mature attitudes from some of these "pro shooters"

That guy Brad just rubs me the wrong way.

mooman76
07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I thought that about Brad also. He cries about everything and the whole point of the show is who can shoot best with different weapons. If it isn't to his advantage then he doesn't like it.

longranger
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Lame show,they just did a marathon show,still lame. I liked the "The Story Of Us" even less.I think it was funded by George Soros.What the ^%$# does Bill Mahar,Colin Powell, Okra, Al Sharpton know about American History no scholars of American History available ? just "progressive Hollywood weenies".

Elkins45
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
It depicts shooting in a (mostly) positive light and holds up marksmanship ability as something to be valued. Sure, it has a goofy reality show feel, but in these times where shooting on TV is somethinng only criminals do I think it's a pretty good thing to see someone praised for their ability to hit a target.

Aero
07-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I've continued to watch the show.

Yes, it is lame. It amazes me that the reality shows are so popular. Still, it presents shooting in a positive light regardless of the personalities of the contestants and I'd rather watch a show about shooting than most anything else excluding most all of the hunting shows. Calling them lame would be really kind!! And lets not forget that this is a competition with $100,000 at stake. Offering a wad of cash tends to bring out the worst in people which is what the producers count on and probably figure into their selection process.

The high-speed photography is incredible and some of the courses of fire they have come up with so far are pretty interesting.

Someone mentioned Olympic shooting and during this past winter Olympics there was considerable coverage of the Biathalon. I thought the network did a pretty good job with that, but there was also a certain amount of "drama" added by the announcers. It may have helped liven up the event a bit and it is certainly the nature of the beast.........tv that is!

-Eron