PDA

View Full Version : Fun range day!

selmerfan
06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I finally got out to shoot after graduating from seminary and then taking care of the honey-do list in between interviews. I took my 5-year old daughter out with me so she could shoot her .22, and maybe one of the "big" guns. I had 5 guns I had applied Ultra Bore Coat to and needed to run the "curing" shots through them to complete the application. I was very pleased with the results, the j-word bullets went through nicely with the same, if not a little better, accuracy as pre-UBC and I had virtually zero copper fouling in any of the rifles - .30-06, .308, .260, 6PPC, and my .357 max Encore barrel I ran GC boolits through. I had zero leading as well, just carbon fouling that wiped out with two patches on the gun. I let Isabelle shoot the .260 with reduced Blue Dot loads that have zero recoil and the .357 Max with the brake. She had a big grin on her face every time the gun went boom and then we went to look at the furrows she dug in the ground with her shots. I had the Encore set up as a carbine with the 16.5" barrel w/permanent brake on it. I hadn't shot it as a carbine with my full-house loads, it turned in a 5 shot group of just over at inch at 100 yds, I was very pleased! 21 gr. of H4227 behind an AC #358627 copy GB Lee mold, checked, lubed w/Speed Green, sized to .359" and seated into the lands. I knew it shot well from having it set up as a pistol and killing two deer this fall, one at 125 yds and one at 166 yds, but I didn' think it shot quite that well - I'll keep that recipe!

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Congratulations!

Ain't it great when it works out like that? And your daughter got the "bug" now for sure!

exile
06-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Congratulations, another .357 Max fan. There must be something to them.

exile

selmerfan
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
That's my five-year old in my avatar picture, I've got her crimping .30-30 cast boolit rounds. She loves help out at the loading bench with whatever I can, I always let her help with safe/non-critical/can't mess up operations, such as crimping or pulling the handle while seating bullets and I'm controlling the case and bullet.

gray wolf
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Sounds like a nice day with the family and some good shooing hardware.
It makes up for all the times that aren't so nice. I guess we have to keep the good times up front Eh. Nice post and thank you for sharing it with us.

Sam

Doby45
06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
That's my five-year old in my avatar picture, I've got her crimping .30-30 cast boolit rounds. She loves help out at the loading bench with whatever I can, I always let her help with safe/non-critical/can't mess up operations, such as crimping or pulling the handle while seating bullets and I'm controlling the case and bullet.

I do the exact same thing right now with my 3 year old. She has a blast putting brass in the press to deprime and size. Then she pulls it out and tosses it in the bucket and puts another piece in. I wonder if there is an issue with child labor laws? ;-)

selmerfan
06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Yep, she's been helping for about 2 1/2 years now, I think she loves the shiny brass and boolits!

qajaq59
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
aelmerfan, thank you for teaching your little girl that guns are not some evil thing used by bad guys. She'll grow up being a more responsible adult thru that kind of lesson. And in a couple of years she be outshooting you too.... LOL

selmerfan
06-08-2010, 10:22 PM
My girls are also taught that law enforcement people help people in need, and sometimes they need guns to help protect people. I won't have them scared of the police, and besides, I believe what I'm telling them! It's been my experience, at least in the rural Midwest.