PDA

View Full Version : Do people really pay this much for ammo?

Geraldo
06-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I got up this morning and my wife had left the Gander Mountain flyer on top of the morning paper. The first thing I notice is a 200 round box of Remington .223 on sale for $99 :shock: The small print says that's $80 off...now as I understand it sale prices can be based on the highest price the item sold for, so they're largely fiction, but 200 rounds for a 'C' note?

I know I don't get around much, but daaaaang...:holysheep

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-06-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't buy that size . . . but . . . the last brass 7.62X39 surplus I bought was $0.20 per round delivered, the last .270 Win was $17 a box of 20!

That's why I'm gonna start casting my own 270's! And eventually for my AK47's.

[smilie=s:

mooman76
06-06-2010, 09:41 AM
That seems kinda high for 223, even now and bullet prices have been slowly comming down as of late. The store sheves are starting to fill up again. I've always thought Cander Mountain has been a little high on prices. I could be wrong though because I don't buy ammo any more except on a rare occasion. I still try to saty up on it though.

cheese1566
06-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Coould be par for the times. Going rate for 50 rounds of Black Hills was about $25 last year, and that's with the factory in the same town!

I recall not too long ago of getting their 50 round 55FMJ 223's remanufactured for about $11 a box. Most local stores also had their "white box" of seconds for $8...those were the times! Great now I sound like my parents!:sad:

Charlie Sometimes
06-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't usually buy any factory ammo, unless I am stocking for a new caliber and utimately need the brass. When doing that, the price still must be a good deal. If I am going to spend that kind of money, it will be on components.

I very rarely buy from Cabela's or Gander Mountain- they are too high on everything, IMHO.
I stick with Mid South, Graf's, or Midway for the lowest prices.
I've bought from other companies, too- if the price was lower- Natchez, etc.

They might be trying to recoup their investment before the prices fall any lower, too.

Up here, GM had $50 a box on a box of 50 380 ACP not long ago!

rockrat
06-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Yep, plus you have to realize that GM probably ordered lots of it when it was scarce, at a high price and finally got it in, and are now stuck with high priced ammo and trying to move it. There are some that will buy it, not knowing that prices have come down on 223.

Geraldo
06-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Great now I sound like my parents!:sad:

I was thinking that as I posted, only that I sound like my grandparents. I've only stopped in the GM down here a couple of times and it seemed like ammo was overpriced. I noticed my local Walmart had ammo in stock but I didn't really pay attention to the price.

Because I reload I really don't keep up with anything other than component prices, so the "sale" gave me sticker shock.

the last brass 7.62X39 surplus I bought was $0.20 per round delivered

Maybe that's due to popularity. I bought some .221 brass to make .17 Mach IV a not that long ago and it was $.045 per round including shipping.

Lead Fred
06-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Besides 22 rimfire, Ive not bought a box of ammo in many years.

spqrzilla
06-06-2010, 11:36 AM
There is a reason I never shop at Gander Mountain.

DLCTEX
06-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Weatherby 257 Mag several years ago was $85 a box. My gun has never had a factory round fired in it since it left the factory.

9.3X62AL
06-06-2010, 03:44 PM
They might be trying to recoup their investment before the prices fall any lower, too.

I suspect that you're correct in that estimate, Charlie.

Like many here, I shoot relatively little factory ammo. I do buy WWB or UMC for the brass if the stuff is priced right, but Sticker Shock has been a common occurrence for the past 18 months or so with any ammo or component price. I need to refresh my carry ammo in 357 Magnum, and I'm not looking forward to that investment.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Geraldo, and others,

Just to clarify, my last brass cased, was loaded ammo and that was about a month ago 1260 to the case at J&G Sales. . . I bought brass cased for two reasons, I hope to reload it in the future, and it is suposed to be easier on the action than steel.

beanflip
06-06-2010, 04:13 PM
If you dont reload it pays to shop around to find a good price for ammo.

Just look at the prices of 22LR boxes of 550 or 525 at $21.97 at wally world

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't go to WW, but sportsman warehouse had rem 22lr 400 for $19.95

BruceB
06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Every time I actually look at the price of factory ammo, I give heartfelt thanks that I'm a handloader.

A couple months ago, a local store had a box of Lazzeroni 7.82 ammunition "on sale"....for $112/20!

In 1970, when I bought my Cogswell & Harrison .404, I glommed every factory round my dealer could find...$5.85 for FIVE Kynoch rounds, in 1970 dollars. I'm still loading some of that brass.

Still, it's not all bad. In 1959, when I turned 16 and was legally allowed to hunt by myself, I asked my Dad for the money to buy one box of el-cheapo paper-cased 12 gauge. I remember it well, and the price was $3.13. With inflation, that $3.13 is $22.78 in today's moola....and the cheapest 12 gauge ammo today is infinitely superior to that old paper case/felt wad stuff from 1959.

Like Al, I just grit my teeth and dig deep for my CCW ammo...a dollar a round is not at all unusual.

wistlepig1
06-06-2010, 06:01 PM
If you think their "Sale prices" are High, go to their stores and see what brass and powder is going for, WOW

AnthonyB
06-06-2010, 06:28 PM
BruceB said:
Like Al, I just grit my teeth and dig deep for my CCW ammo...a dollar a round is not at all unusual.

Bruce:
Why? I seem to remember you posting that you carried handloads when you were in the boonies, and weren't worried about legal issues there. I will admit to carrying factory 9mm ammo, but carry my reloads in 38 Special, 357 Magnum, and 45 ACP. Why do you dig deep for CCW ammo?

This is a genuine question, and I don't mean to incite another Mas Ayoob debate. I respect your knowledge and experience and don't want to miss something.
Tony

fryboy
06-06-2010, 06:28 PM
that last is why i dont do GM ....summin'bout $39.95 for a # of powder that i can buy elsewhere ( fairly close) for $16.99 ..... umm i did pick up some bug spray while i was there lolz ( ok ok and looked at the clearance corner )

BruceB
06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Tony;

What a memory!

Yes indeed, I do carry (cast bullet) handloads when doing whatever recreational activities that come along. I've had occasion to use these loads, mostly full-power .44 Magnums, on quite a few big animals such as moose and bison. My wife killed a bull moose with these .44s on one desperate occasion. Excellent performance, and I have no doubts about the loads. I've also killed caribou with cast .357s and 9mms on finishing shots...no problems. All of these rounds were fired in the course of something other than defensive situations (except for my wife's moose).

However, when carrying purely for defensive CCW purposes (in more-or-less civilized or built-up areas) I use top-quality factory hollowpoints, for several reasons. One is that I don't care to do the needed load work-ups and investment in the components. Another is that the factory loads by definition are 100% new materials. I could easily spend FAR more on experimental components than I do for the factory ammo. Yet another reason is just to remove the possibility of some lawyer TRYING to use the handloads to prejudice a jury against me.

While I have faith in the functionality of my handloads, even in my defensive autos, I'm danged sure that they aren't BETTER than the factory loads. The reason that cast loads are so good on big animals is the reason that I refuse to carry them for anti-personnel use: they penetrate like there's no tomorrow, right through 1000-pound-plus critters! I want a good, reliable expanding hollowpoint, if I have to use a gun in self-defence against humans. That is the PLAN, but by the same token if an 'unpleasantness' arose in the boonies where I'd have my cast-bullet loads, there's little doubt about the performance, and I sure don't lose sleep over the possibility.

So, when I decided to carry a legal concealed weapon, some decisions were made up-front. The most-important one is that I WILL shoot if necessary. The second was that I would carry whenever and wherever possible. The third was that, if I could manage the situation to allow it, the ammunition would be high-quality factory loads. So far, those decisions have served me well. I do test any load before I carry it, both for function and for its ballistic performance.

The actual cost isn't high, and it doesn't really involve much gritting of teeth. I do my practice with cast loads that duplicate bullet weight/velocity/recoil etc, and only change the factory loads out about every six months by firing the rounds I've been carrying. Twenty bucks or so spent every six months is peanuts, when you consider it as insurance.

That's how *I* see it, and it seems to work for me. Others will naturally have varying opinions. Does this help at all?

Suo Gan
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
If you dont reload it pays to shop around to find a good price for ammo.

Just look at the prices of 22LR boxes of 550 or 525 at $21.97 at wally world

They are $17.97 here, early last year they were $13.

gray wolf
06-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Some guy on another forum was bragging about getting a 1,000 rounds of 45 ACP for $345.00. I hated to do it but I posted that I reload a 1,000 rounds for about 40 bucks.
OK could be 45 bucks. I guess there are still some folks making good money out there.
Well God bless them, But wow $345.00.

AnthonyB
06-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Bruce:
That is a very well reasoned and easy to understand response. My approach differs, but I think we are both arriving in the same place - ammo we trust explicitly.
I am a big fan of cast HP bullets. By varying alloys and HP cavity size, I can guarantee a 358431 will expand from a J-frame or hold together at 357 Mag velocity. My testing in wet newsprint (several years ago, and I'm sure jacketed bullets are better now) showed them to perform better than factory ammo. Lyman Devastators in 45 ACP would expand like a Nosler Partition, shearing off petals as the nose expanded and the base continued to penetrate. I carry those in warm weather, and switch to the BD45 or RCBS 45-230CM in winter.
I would likely follow your approach if I didn't enjoy the cast HP so much.
Tony

shooterg
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
The Federal 550 packs at WM are $19.92 out the door here as of yesterday.

Buckshot
06-09-2010, 01:32 AM
..............It's been so long since I've bought factory centerfire I've pretty well lost any reference except to what I recall it was when I WOULD buy a couple boxes to take to the range. And that'd be Rem green/yellow box 30-'06 150gr C-L's for $10.99 and 30-30's at $9.29.

To think that in late 2006 I bought 2 cases of Winchester Dynapoint 22LR's for $96.30 per case. Last I saw at Midway they were all of $27/brick. That's darn near triple the price in just over 3 years.

................Buckshot

Geraldo
06-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Sticker shock version 2.0...

I traded for an Encore barrel for which I have no ammo, brass, etc. Being rather impatient I'd like to shoot it, so I stop at a local shop to see what I can find. No dies or brass, so I check out their factory ammo, which starts at $33 for twenty rounds :shock:

After the chest pain stops, I decide I can be pretty patient at those prices. I drive home, go to Midway's site, find dies, brass, and a couple other things I need, and when adding a $10 off promotion code I'm out the door for not much more than the one box of ammo at the shop.

excavman
06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
About 10-12 years ago I loaded 2000 rds of 45 ACP for a friend, all cast boolits. I had plenty of free ww's and spend $8 on a bar of solder. The primers cost me $12 a carton and 2 lbs of Unique was $15. That comes to $47 for 2000 rds. Go figure up what it would cost today for the same thing. It's still cheaper than factory by a long ways. The only factory stuff I buy is 22's.

Larry

DLCTEX
06-11-2010, 04:02 AM
I heard a Gander Mountain ad on radio yesterday advertising their 223 ammo "200 round box for only $99.99", WOW!

Ed Barrett
06-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I reloaded some .416 Rem rounds for a friend of mine who goes to Africa every year. I bought 100 cases, a box of barnes 400 grain solids and a box of barnes HP's, I used Varget for the powder. I told him to save the brass and that they could be reloaded several times. Where he hunts you are allowed to bring 50 rounds in per person. When he came back, he called me and asked me over for drinks and to see some pictures of his hunt. He took a Cape buffalo with one shoot with a solid and an eland an a bunch of camp meat with the hollow points. I asked him if he saved the brass and he said yess he had 16 pieces. He wanted me to buy another hundred of brass and bullets and load him up another hundred for next year. Seems the Professional Hunter was shooting a CZ .416 Rem mag too. and he offered him what was left of the loaded rounds. The PH was so happy he refused a tip. Here in the States .416 Rem's are anywhere from $92.00 to $150.00 for a box of 20, In Africa they are much higher when you can get them.
The next year he went out with the same hunter a tipped him the same way. So soime of my reloads are half way around the world, I only wish I could have some of them cast from wheel weights.

Thumbcocker
06-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Maybe a little far afield but Bruce's reference to his wife's defensive shoot involving cb's and a moose sure has me curious about details.

Adam10mm
06-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Some guy on another forum was bragging about getting a 1,000 rounds of 45 ACP for $345.00. I hated to do it but I posted that I reload a 1,000 rounds for about 40 bucks.
OK could be 45 bucks. I guess there are still some folks making good money out there.
Well God bless them, But wow $345.00.
Wasn't me but my FMJ .45 ammo is priced close to that. $17.57/50 runs $351.40 to a case. Lead is $15.47/50 or $309.40/K; although with buying a case they get free shipping which runs me around $50 per case or so. I mostly sell to local gun shops, so take 20% off those prices for the dealer discount. For delivery, I drive it free inside a 2hr radius.

One thing a lot of guys forget is overhead. I've never done this before, but I'll post some figures on my end. Many of you know I'm a home based FFL. My overhead is almost non-existant (and when I get things squared up, things will be better). You pay more for your car than I pay overhead for my business.

So, buying fired brass from a guy who buys it in bulk 800lb lots runs me $50/K, plated bullets run about $103 delivered, then primers factory direct are $17/K and powder runs me about $16 per case. Packaging is just shy of $5 using white boxes loose pack and Avery labels for marking. I rubber stamp the date on the box for the lot number. Total cost is $201 per case.

So, $351 retail out of an investment of $201 is $150 gross profit per case. But, wait, there's more. Manufacturers have to pay FET on the ammo they make, so at the retail direct side of things, the rule is the taxable sale is 75% of the sale price taxed at 11%. Confused. Easy. 351*.75=263.25 which is the taxable sale amount (think of it as adjusted gross income like on your personal tax form). Now take 11% of that 263.25 and FET due on that sale is $28.96. That comes off the top; 150-28.96= $121.04 net after FET.

So then I have my overhead to deal with before it's bottom line profit. Insurance is $175/mo, website is $12.50/mo ($150/yr), don't have a business phone anymore, I don't pay for advertising, utilities are home based paid with personal income, as is mortgage (yet the business can deduct its portion of that which is used solely for business purpose). All packaging, ink, paper, etc is factored into COGS which is in the product cost. Soooo, yeah, that's it. My business costs me less than $200 to operate. Fancy that. Using the fancy formula for break even (overhead divided by profit margin) I only need to sell a couple cases a month to break even with overhead.

Now using the dealer pricing at a 20% discount, FET is applied to the actual sale price IF the manufacturer does no wholesale sales (sells to someone who sells to someone else that will sell it at retail). So my dealer price on .45 FMJ ammo is $281.12, FET due on that is $30.92 (I pay more FET on dealer sales than I do retail sales-go figure). On a dealer sale I make only $49.20 net profit after FET.

So retail is $121.04 and dealer is $49.20 profit after FET. Quite a difference. Now people think "you've got a Dillon 1050 loading 1,000 rounds an hour making $120 per hour!!!" but that can't be farther from the truth. Real world loading on the press is maybe 750-800 rounds per hour being smooth and consistent. Sure a bullet feeder would speed things up a bit maybe getting the magic "1,000 rph". But what people don't realize is the additional labor in bringing the raw materials to a finished product ready for sale presentation. Brass cleaning, brass inspection, component setup, powder charge verification before and during loading, primer tube filling, case feeder filling, inspection after loading, inspection during packaging, folding boxes, labeling boxes, recording lot information in the log book. All that takes time.

I got suckered into thinking I would be making $100/hr plus doing this. In reality as a one man operation (with some help from a local friend of mine), to eliminate labor costs, it takes a solid 2-2.5 hours from start to finish. So now that retail sale is really $48/hr and dealer is a pathetic $19.60/hr and that's BEFORE bills are paid. The more volume the more time and the more overhead, not necessarily more profit.

That's why in my sig line I put "everything looks good on paper". :lol:

Seems on the surface there's money there instantly, but it's not. It takes time and business knowledge. Now with automated equipment running 3 cases per hour consistently sure the numbers might look good but you now have a $30,000 machine to pay interest on plus utilities for it and maintenance. They are expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and expensive to feed.

azcruiser
06-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Went to one of my local BM gun stores and they wanted $50.00 for 1000 Fed LG Rifle primers.
Told me good luck if you think you can get them cheaper . Went to a pawn shop that has guns and stuff got 1000 LG Rifle Win for $27.00

azcruiser
06-15-2010, 02:41 AM
Have a 1050 myself plus 2 xl650s- and 3 550bs and a few SDB'S Would take a lot of money to run them all for a 40hr work week. It's like the guys who want a MINI gun 3000 rounds of 308 win a min do the math on that in todays prices out of my league

DeepSouth
06-15-2010, 03:49 PM
GM reminds me of going to a gunshow,alot of overpriced stuff.

gerrycan
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Freak,thanks for that run-down.I load a few calibres for others [just to get them started] and as I am working I ask "why am I dong this at this price $10/20 ?'.As you point out,you undertake this enterprise without enough thought at your peril.Gerry

Adam10mm
06-16-2010, 01:29 AM
And I cover a lot of this stuff in my book. Putting the finishing touches it then looking for a publisher.

Funny thing is my dealer customers make more money off my ammo than I do selling to them. I take a huge cut and make $49 per case of .45. I asked what margin they run on ammo and they said 20%; sure I can live with that discount no problem (hard lesson). So I sell at $14.06/bx figuring a 20% markup will match my retail at $17.57/bx. Nope. $18.99/box and it flies off the shelf in less than a week. How the hell are they getting $1.50 more per box than my retail online price? They make almost $5/box gross profit and I'm making only $2.45/box selling to them at dealer price? That's twice as much money as I make. First indication this is a volume business. [smilie=1:

But it's priced low enough that they will buy from me at my price and have margin to sell at their price. Greed would make me raise my price to get a piece of the action, but it's smart not to touch it. Where a manufacturer like me can increase margin is on the cost. If the price is locked in, reducing the cost will increase profits. I found a place that has brass for half what I'm paying now so I'm going to milk that cow and make an extra $25 per case just by buying cheaper material.

82nd airborne
06-16-2010, 10:42 PM
walmart here has 550 for 15.99, and did all the way thru the ammo scare. supposedly one of the only ww's that had them. they had an entire isle with nothing but bricks of rem golden bullets. i didnt think it would last so i bought AlOT

Rockydog
06-19-2010, 07:59 AM
I was on vacation shooting prairie dogs last week and didn't get my 12 guage reloading done for trap this week. Stopped at the local hardware store. Winchester promo loads were $9.99 a box of 25. Win AAs were $11.99. At this rate they won't have to take our guns away. Joe Average will not be able to afford to shoot and the industry will collapse. RD

BruceB
06-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Maybe a little far afield but Bruce's reference to his wife's defensive shoot involving cb's and a moose sure has me curious about details.

Just do a search for "karen moose" and you'll find the story (The Day Karen Met The Moose). It's been related many times, but she turned in quite a performance under stress and it's worth another airing.

I've been away from the Board for ten days or so; sorry for the delay.