PDA

View Full Version : SWMBO predicted it & it happened today...

lead4me
06-05-2010, 11:04 PM
That is...it all came together. I e-mailed Mihec about getting a H&G #503 Keith style mold for my .44 mag about a week ago. Turns out he had two of the 6 banger molds left over from a group buy a bunch of you fine fellows did. So a couple of mouse clicks later & one was on the way to Michigan...
I got in on a group buy for the stuff to make the world famous Felix lube, it got here about the same time as the mold. So I sat down and made a couple of double batches for my pan lubing set up.
I fired up the pot & started pouring some boolits, 1 part wheel weights, 2 parts Hi-lo counter weight along with the reclaimed lead from my dross skimming. Water dropped these and they fell from the mold perfect. Absolutely no, zero, Nada problems with this mold!!! Boolits dropped at .433 & round, weighed in at .257 and all with in .001 in weight.
Only problem I thought I was gonna have was these boolits are hard, I mean you can't scratch em with a finger nail hard. Gotta get me a tester, had bar-owed one but re turned it, never here when I need it. From what I've read here Cabin Tree makes a good one?
So today I get out to the back yard to do some shooting, Super Black hawk .44 mag 10 1/2" barrel. 100 rds of my new H&G #503 over 12.3 grains of Unique, 100 rds over 18.5 grains of 2400 all with the new Felix lube I learned to make here.
Set the target out to 40 yds and started shooting. Now my goal today was to 1) Have Fun 2) Work on trigger control & 3) See if I could hit anything with this new set up.
I'm happy in fact ecstatic really to report that 1) I had a ball 2) I shot some real nice groups best came from the 12.3 Unique loads (4" 18 shot group) for me off hand this is good, iron sights. The 18.5 gr 2400 loads shot well also but I had more pulled shots (flinching) by the time I got into that 100 rounds.
Best thing was NO LEADING none after 200rds. I thought I was gonna be in for a long night of scrubbing but a couple of passes with the bronze brush and a oiled patch & the bore is CLEAN[smilie=w:cylinder mouths were all about the same size checked with telescope gauges & Mic they ran right at .4323 to .4326 about .0005 under boolit size. Bore slugged right at .4292 and I had a nice lube pattern at the end of the muzzle when done shooting.
I did recover a few of my boolits from the mound of damp clay I was using for a back stop & they look the same as when I loaded them only with rifling now. I think they might be too hard for a hunting boolit as in game I would get no expansion with these.
Over all a great day shooting, thanks too all I have learned here from you guys. 6 months ago I wasn't reloading or casting. Now I cast & reload for the .44, .357, .38, 9mm, & the .45 & its all working out great. I've been able to shoot more in the past 3 months than I have shot in the past 2 years.22714

Blammer
06-05-2010, 11:13 PM
GREAT to hear!

I'd just relube them rascals and load them up! :)

Yea, may want to forgoe the water dropping.

Phat Man Mike
06-05-2010, 11:31 PM
the only thing better than a great day shooting is one shooting and fishing!!! :)8-)8-):cbpour::cbpour:

jrayborn
06-06-2010, 05:39 AM
...shooting at fish...:smile:

GP100man
06-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Hard boolits are perfect for shootin fish !!! [smilie=1:

Changeling
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
You don't really want any expansion with those bullets the "Flat Nose" will do considerable damage. A lot of the guys here are very satisfied with them just like they/yours are.

lead4me
06-06-2010, 01:56 PM
You may be right, does anyone have a program that could tell me the FPS that I'm getting from the 12.3 unique load with a 10 1/2" 260 gr boolit? I know it would be an apox figure but my rough guess is around 1250 FPS. It would be a max load with Unique but with H-110 or 2400 I could push it a tad faster. I am curious as to how fast I can push these before I start to get leading as they are PB boolits.
Or I could leave well enough alone, ole Elmer seems to think that a 250 @ 1200 is plenty for a hunting boolit an here in Michigan the toughest critter I could shoot at is Elk, Black Bear.

leadman
06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I shoot 18.5grs 2400 with the 250 gr Keith SWC also. I have gone higher but the accuracy was not as good and had more recoil. I'll take accuracy over speed. I went up to 22 or 23 grains with no leading.
If you want some expansion why don't you cast a few "softnose boolits" ? There is a sticky somewhere about Bruce Bs' method of doing this that is very good.
I shot an elk with the Lee 310gr. at 1,150fps, no expension, but had a dead elk shortly afterwards.

Dark Helmet
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Line up about 6 one gal. milk/water jugs full of water and shoot them just under the bottom of the handle(top portion of the square bottom part) If they are gonna expand, they will in the water. Um, you did back up a lil' bit didn't you?:rolleyes:

MtGun44
06-07-2010, 10:04 PM
10 gr Unique gives 1050 to 1100 in a 4 or 6 inch bbl, so 12.3 is more like 1300 or more in
a 10" bbl, I'd guess.

No need to make them that hard at all. Just air cool and drop down to 10 gr Unique and
you will be really happy, altho your current results are excellent. Too may hot loads is not
good for your trigger control. More of the 8 gr to 10 gr Unique are much better for
practice to keep your flinch in the drawer.

Congratualtions, you have one of the finest molds out there of one of the finest boolit
design out there for the .44 mag.

Bill