PDA

View Full Version : Transporting guns to the range

alamogunr
08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
I recently joined a range about 30 miles from my home. When I shoot close to home, I don't worry if I forget something or want to try another rifle or handgun. Now I need to take everything with me that I might need. My biggest problem is transporting long guns. I don't have an accumulation of cases or boxes or whatever.

What is a good, inexpensive solution to just stacking them in the seat next to me in the pickup. I have considered building a wooden box with racks inside and a lockable hinged top to carry in the back of the truck. Other solutions/suggestions?
John

imashooter2
08-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Accordion layers in an old quilt or thick blanket. Maybe the ubiquitous rear window rack. I've seen behind the seat racks too

1Shirt
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
The old quilt is not a bad idea. Some others you might consider until you can acquire suitable cases might include some of the hospital bedding foam(sometimes they just throw it away and it is bed sized and would cushion rifles well). Might want to check some gun shops and see if they have any old extra packing boxes. There is behind the seat hanger set up that holds 3 long guns, but is not overly functional for scoped rifles, but would work fine for those with iron sights if the rifle isn't to long and the cab to short like in a Ford Ranger. Might want to go to a goodwill store or the like and pick up a couple of three old wool blankets, hand have the wife, girl friend, significant other or what ever stitch you up a bunch of sleves. Suggest to whoever might give you birthday or Christmas presents that gun cases would be just what you need.
Good luck,
1Shirt!:coffee:

AkMike
08-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Make sure that weapons behind the seat doesn't get the local boys in blue uptight about them being"Concealed weapons". That'd ruin your day!

Jon K
08-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Alamogunr,

Blanket, quilts, Homemade boxes, Birthday, Christmas gifts it's all getting too complicated. I have a simple solution- Keep your favorite and 1 back up- send the rest to me- problem and complications taken care of! Ha.. Ha......

All kidding aside, I did almost that...I now only keep what I am currenly shooting, if it is dead weight sitting in the safe, sometimes we forget we even have it. Life is short, get what you really want and will use.

Going to the range- I take what I am working on load development, or what I am going to take to a match- to tune up. When I take too much to the range all at one time- something doesn't get enough attention that day. Slow down, Smell the Roses and Enjoy It More.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

:castmine:

joeb33050
08-08-2006, 05:01 AM
7.16 AN ARGUMENT FOR HARD CASES

I travel 100 miles to Miami to shoot each Wednesday, mostly on a motorcycle. For the past five years I've roped a rifle, in a soft case or blanket or hard case, to the bike. Hard cases are long and stick way out on either side of te bike; soft cases and the blanket method reduce the width. I got the brilliant idea of replacing the clothesline and granny knots with bungee cords exclusively. About 22 miles from home, in the dark, I discovered that the hard case, M54 Winchester, 20X STS and cleaning rod were no longer attached to the bike. While saying the appropriate words I turned around and started searching. Six miles back, on a bridge, I found the case and bungee cords, everything intact, contents undamaged, on the side of the road. The case says"Pillarlock ProMax, Protector" series, and Alex bought it for me at a gun show for $10. My trip to Miami and back gave me time to think, and I did, and I think that I'll never use a soft case to carry a rifle again-even when I'm taking a car. My soft cases would allow a dropped rifle to be damaged, I'll bet. But those cheap hard cases proved their worth to me yesterday. Clothesline and granny knots from now on.
joe b.

David R
08-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Rifles? I just bring what I need. Get a few soft cases and one or two hard cases that hold 2 rifles, sometimes you can fit 3 or a bunch of handguns in one.

I also have a range box. It contains extra foam ears, my good electronic ears, pen, small clipboard, staple gun, extra staples, a brass hammer and punch to drift sights, spare magazines, tape measure for groups, bolts for some of my rifles........

Sometimes If I can't fit the rifle in My safe, I just remove the bolt and lock it in the safe. But don't forget to take the bolt and rifle to the range. Done that!

I lack the kahuna's to carry my rifle on the motorcycle. Sure I shot up to a peestol match on the bike.

David

Char-Gar
08-08-2006, 07:05 AM
A couple of years ago, I finaly broke down and bought a hard case that holds two long guns. I paid about $90.00 for it. Six months later, I bought it's twin at a garage sale for $10.00. That takes care of my needs to transport long guns to the range.

44woody
08-08-2006, 08:32 AM
alamogunr if you would like to have a set of racks for the back windo of your truck I have a set you can have just for the postage pm me if you want them :castmine: 44Woody

Four Fingers of Death
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
I carry my guns to and fro in a mil sup footlocker. They are a brown color, I don't know what country they came from, but they are really solid. I also have a folding barrow/trolley/handtruck whatever, that I use to wheel it to the 4wd. It has two hasp and staple locks and big handles on the ends. I have a heavy cable ancored to the truck, I slip this through one of the padlocks on the front, but usually I use a third padlock on the side handle. That baby will be there when I rock out of MacDonalds! I use soft cases, and old blankets which I use for padding loads, emergency blankets in winter, I have 4-5 of them, not real flash, but handy things to have around, especially 4wd'ing in the snow, good insurance. Easier than it sounds, wheel it to the truck, throw it in ancor it, load it lock it. Done deal, relax. I have about 6-7 locks all keyed alike for my gun cabinets, etc. These are a different series to the one to lock up the trailer, tool cupboard, etc. Mick.

Four Fingers of Death
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
I forgot to mention, you can make these cables up at a marine shop, but a cheaper alternative is to buy a cycle/bicycle cable from a locksmith, they are cheap, but a PITA, they spring back into a coil the moment you relax your grip on them. :-) Mick.

twotoescharlie
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
find an old golfbag and one of the doohickeys with wheels on it, (usually pretty cheap at yard sales) find some thin pieces of foam to put between the rifles to keep them separated. roll 'em to your shooting bench.

TTC

six_gun
08-08-2006, 09:54 AM
You can get a decent hard case from WalMart for 10 to 12 dollars. They arn't the best but will work and according to law enforcement , it is a cased gun.

Sixgin

KCSO
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't think I have a case that cost over $2. I haunt the thrift stores and yard sales and pick up whatever is cheap. Even if the zipper is bad they are good enough for seat stacking and gun shows.

alamogunr
08-08-2006, 10:36 AM
alamogunr if you would like to have a set of racks for the back windo of your truck I have a set you can have just for the postage pm me if you want them :castmine: 44Woody

Thanks for the offer, but unlike 15 years ago, no one around here carries guns in their truck window. I made too many comments about advertising their existence to try it now. I would be run out of town.

Thanks for all the other comments too. I've never followed yard and garage sales, but it looks like I need to get around to a few. There is a surplus outfit not too far away. I might look there too and see what they have.
John

Bucks Owin
08-08-2006, 01:44 PM
How about some BIG pvc pipe for a homegrown case? With a screw on end cap...

Dennis

BOOM BOOM
08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
HI,
Several trucks/suv's ago I would install window gun racks 1st thing, but now don't, as you said don't advertize for the thieves.
I now have 3 soft padded & 1 hard case, that is more than enough.
Pistols I just strap on & go. I almost never go w/out a pistol.

MT Gianni
08-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Big Sky Gun racks out of Belgrade MT about 10 years ago made a rack that held 2 guns tight up against the ceiling of the pickup, strapped in against foam and held with velcro straps. Mine had been through 2 trucks. I think they are still in business. Buy an extended cab and haul 10 or more in the back seat. Gianni.

PatMarlin
08-09-2006, 12:21 AM
I bought a nice double rifle hard case from wal mart, couple years ago for $8. I wish I woulda bougt 5 of em' cause they don't carry them like that anymore. Flambeau brand or something like that.

Darn!.. :Fire:

Buckshot
08-09-2006, 01:43 AM
...............I transport mine to the range in soft zippered cases. I'd pick them up at the gunshow for $12 apiece. Check thrift shops, or check around on the net, as I've seen them for scoped rifles on sale for $15.

If you're going to be driving that far I'd for sure set up a range box that ALWAYS goes with you regardless what you're shooting. I use a plastic toolbox for my rangebox and it's the first thing loaded in the trunk. You can put your spotting scope in it, ear plugs, staple gun and staples, batteries for the chronograph, screwdrivers, punches, a brass hammer, aspirin, anti-acid, oil, sectional cleaning rod, enough money for range fees (in case you forget), and most anything else you can think of you might need, or that would be handy.

I have another plastic tool box (different color then the rangebox) to carry ammo or gun specific stuff in, if the ammo won't fit in the rangebox.

.................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
08-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I use the Buckshot Method--soft cases and an OLD Canada Dry wooden beverage crate for ammo and accessories. I do have hard cases, but those get used more for long-distance hauling among tents, duffle bags, and other camping debris.

Someone mentioned John Law getting upset with gun-toting methodology. Most CA gun laws discriminate heavily against the law-abiding gun-owning taxpayer, thus providing tactical advantages for the crooks--the true past (and sometimes present) clients of the lawyers that make up 90%+ of our legislatures. One little quirk of the law here in the PRC is that by definition--a rifle or shotgun is NOT a "concealable" weapon, and therefor cannot be "concealed" within a vehicle. There is case law behind this. Having it loaded in a "public place" is illegal, and having the chamber loaded within a vehicle in "a game area" is also verboten--but if it's empty behind a truck seat--and no local ordinances prohibit the practice, yer good to go in the People's Republic.

KYCaster
08-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I've posted this before, but I think it bears repeating.......If you take a gun into Indiana (for any reason) you'd better have a concealed carry permit. Doesn't matter who issued the permit, they'll accept any state's CCW permit. If you don't have a permit, the Boys In Blue can take your gun(s) and a judge will decide if you can get them back.

Doesn't matter how you carry it....empty, loaded, locked, in the trunk, in the glove box, on the seat, on the dash, on your belt......If you have the permit, yer good-to-go, if not, you may be SOL.

I had this explained to me by a couple of Sellersburg's finest late one Satu.....uh, early one Sunday morning. I checked it out later. I found the statute on line, read it several times and, yes, ITS TRUE.

On the face of it, Indiana seems like a gun friendly place, but things aren't always what they seem.

CYA
Jerry

Four Fingers of Death
08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
............... enough money for range fees (in case you forget), and most anything else you can think of you might need, or that would be handy.

.................Buckshot

I carry a small amount of grease, small screws, etc in old 35mm film conainers. Of of them also has $20 in it (it used to be $5, but we move along.). Buys enough gas to get you home or a feed if you get stuck. Used it once in about thirty plus years, but I'd rather have a $20 note and not need it than need a $20 note and not have it. Mick.

Linstrum
08-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Besides keeping my guns secured against theft while transporting them, keeping them out of sight of disapproving eyes is of even more importance to me because I don't want some panicked kid or bored HCI-supporting housewife calling 911 on her handy-dandy cell phone and reporting a "terrorist" because my rifles were seen when I opened the hatch to put a sack of groceries in my car while on the way to the range.

A lot of my rifles have barrels over 30" long and one has a 60" barrel, so that makes getting factory made carrying cases for them a little difficult to find and a lot of expensive to buy. The PVC water pipe already mentioned has merit as a container for guns and fishing rods, but the drop at the comb on most rifles requires a very large diameter pipe to accommodate them and the recent gigantic rise in cost of PVC pipe puts it up there in the same league as a good quality carrying case! I recently bought a ten foot length of 8” schedule 40 PVC pipe to make a larger rifle vacuum and it cost around $100 with two slip on caps. Of course you don’t need schedule 40 for a case, I require that wall thickness because I am using it as a vacuum chamber for my rifles.

The way that I solve my particular carrying problem is to put each rifle into a pair of old jeans. Cotton denim cloth used in Levis is thick and very strong so it will protect quite well from most instances that can ding and scratch up a rifle's finish. With the pants “doing the splits”, the barrel goes down one pant leg and the buttstock goes down the other with the cuffs folded over. On each rifle I either padlock a chain to the trigger guard or run a long cable-type padded bicycle/gun lock through the action and out the floor plate on those rifles like the Mosin-Nagant where that can be done. I am careful about damaging the finish with the padlock and wrap the hasps with electrical tape. After I padlock all of my rifles onto the chain, I take the free end of the chain and padlock it to one of the baby carrier seat attaching points, which all U.S. cars have to have nowadays. All of my cars have a large steel hasp type attaching point for the baby carrier but the steel bracket that the seat belts loop through where they are sewed together will sometimes take a padlock as well without damaging the seat belt (although it is illegal to modify or interfere with seat belt attachment). If those can't be used for some reason there is always something on the floor or under the seats of a car somewhere that a chain can be securely locked to in one fashion or another.

My five-foot long barreled rifle is a .50 caliber BMG :castmine: single shot. The action is a quick disconnect type so the barrel comes off in a few seconds, which I padlock to the long chain using one of the barrel mount supports. Then I shove that into the legs of a real long pair of pants I bought at Salvation Army. The receiver goes into a steel ammo box that is locked and chained inside the car with everything else.

That’is what I do. Good luck!

Junior1942
08-14-2006, 06:57 AM
>I require that wall thickness because I am using it as a vacuum chamber for my rifles.

Huh? Why, pray tell?

Jumptrap
08-14-2006, 08:33 AM
If I was going to go through all that of chaining and so forth, I'd just quit and say to hell with it. Why not just weld the stuff to the floorboards and wrap the car in razor wire?

It all goes back to the laws and their noble enforcers. No reason for transportation laws at all. If you shoot somebody maliciously..then let the law do it's thing...until then...there is no need or reason to have our movements scrutinized...might as well have a carload of hammers or bricks....all inert objects, yet capable of killing somebody.

wills
08-14-2006, 09:08 AM
>I require that wall thickness because I am using it as a vacuum chamber for my rifles.

Huh? Why, pray tell?
Remember the Vacuum Rifle Drier?

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=514616&CategoryID=234366&threadid=1697095&highlight_key=y&keyword1=vacuum

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=514616&CategoryID=234366&threadid=1672041&highlight_key=y&keyword1=vacuum

PatMarlin
08-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I can't remember my old password to get in.. :confused:

Old jeans in a jam is a great idea, cept mine have them rivets.. :drinks:

9.3X62AL
08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Jumptrap--

That IS a passel of bullflop, all right--but in a lot of areas gun thieves absolutely wreak havoc. When all of the "mode of transport" laws got enacted in CA, part of the rationale for same was that such measures assist in preventing theft. Stolen guns ARE the majority of guns used in crimes, after all. Yeah, it's annoying--and many times the guns won't be out of our sight throughout the entire trip--but "out of sight is out of mind".

Now, ya want HASSLE--try vehicle-carrying an authorized full auto weapon in the PRC! It must be carried in the trunk or otherwise out of view, and chained to a vehicle frame member through the receiver.

StarMetal
08-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Deputy Al,

On that full auto carry, in other words, they don't want you to carry it alone have it.

Joe

9.3X62AL
08-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Joe, they were issued duty guns, so on some level they were "allowed". M-16A2 during SWAT gigs earlier in my career, and Colt SMG or HK MP-5 during dope cop days. Such storage was anything but convenient, but in retrospect a shotgun was a better tool in most business transactions of that sort.

There aren't many cop situations where either the shotgun or a semi-auto patrol rifle gives up much to a F/A rifle or SMG. My first "patrol rifle" was a pre-64 Model 94 in 30-30.......after 1980, we went with the Mini-14......and in 1999 we got M-16A1's from the Government that had been re-arsenalled to semi-auto. I am bound to say.....that first rifle might have been the best of the lot in all respects, when you consider what it gets called upon to do. SWAT is a different gig than patrol, with different requirements.

I've gotten about as far off-topic as I can go without a whuppin', here.

corvette8n
08-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Try these

Silicone treated, 58" long gun sock
Wally world, Dicks, CTD, Sprotsmans Guide all carry them
In my town guns must be covered when transporting
and this counts as being covered.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA128-571-1861.html