PDA

View Full Version : Melting Lubed Bullets

cwbuff
06-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm new to casting my own bullets. Is it ok melt down a bunch of lubricated bullets? If not, what do I do remove (most of) it? Thanks

Rocky Raab
06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I used to scarf up any "shelf queen" commercial cast bullets I could find, almost always at near give-away prices. I'd just chuck them into the smelting pot as is along with range scrap, wheelweights and whatever. The lube served as built-in flux, especially if I spooned a few in after the rest of the stuff had liquified.

06-05-2010, 09:31 AM
cwbuff,
Welcome.
Toss them in the pot and melt them. There will be a good amount of smoke, so do it in a well ventilated area. Spooning out the lube, as it puddles on top of the lead, helps reduce the amount of smoke.

cwbuff
06-05-2010, 09:32 AM
OK - I'll give it a rip. Thanks!

FISH4BUGS
06-05-2010, 09:37 AM
cwbuff,
Welcome.
Toss them in the pot and melt them. There will be a good amount of smoke, so do it in a well ventilated area. Spooning out the lube, as it puddles on top of the lead, helps reduce the amount of smoke.

I might recommend that you light the stuff that floats on top. If it burns (look out it might give you a good POOF when it lights) that will drastically reduce the smoke.
If it doesn't light off, just stir it in and use it for your flux.

gray wolf
06-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I do it all the time. Just watch the smoke and fire.

cwbuff
06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
OK - I did it and cast a bunch on ingots. It was wise for me to do it outside on the concrete porch. It caught on fire. So now my question is what do you use to skim the crud off the top? What do you use to stir the brew? Thanks!

357maximum
06-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Skim the crud off with an old serving spoon (goowill/yardsale) and stir your brew with a DRY stick. I use cedar arrow shafts that did not make my spine requirements or were not good enough....and that smells nice to boot......any dry stick 2x2 etc will work....just ease it into the mix slowly as even a stick that appears dry will normally bubble a bit as it is introduced to the lead jacuzzi.

I keep matches close by and simply tossing one in will light the wax on fire and reduce the smoke......fire on top of molten lead is a GOOD thing.

Doby45
06-05-2010, 07:36 PM
stick that appears dry will normally bubble a bit as it is introduced to the lead jacuzzi.

That right there is funnay, I don't care who ya are..

mooman76
06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't add many bullets at once that were lubed with Alox. It doesn't want to burn of and turns to a tar like mess.

AZ-Stew
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't add many bullets at once that were lubed with Alox. It doesn't want to burn of and turns to a tar like mess.

Keeps your pot from rusting.

Regards,

Stew

qajaq59
06-06-2010, 09:08 AM
When you use a "dry" stick, push it down into the melt slowly. They are not always quite as dry as they appear to be and it may spit at you.

gwilliams2
06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I use paint mixing sticks to stir..

454PB
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
If there are enough lubed boolits to warrant it, you can place them in a pan of water and heat until the lube separates and floats to the top. Let the pot cool and skim the lube off the surface of the water. Make SURE the boolits are dry before trying to melt them.

Doby45
06-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Or put them all in the pot to begin with and they will dry as they warm. :)