PDA

View Full Version : Opening up a sizing die

Fugowii
06-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a .430 die for my Star that I would like to open up to .4315-.432 and was
thinking about running some hard cast (sized .430) boolits through it coated with valve
lapping compound until it opens up a bit. Anyone ever done this? I was planning on
using the Star to push the boolits through the die but not going far enough down to
engage the lube plunger.

hoosierlogger
06-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I think someone suggested emery cloth on a dowell rod in the drill to open it up a bit.

Fugowii
06-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I think someone suggested emery cloth on a dowell rod in the drill to open it up a bit.

I saw that but I'm a bit worried about taking too much off and/or getting the die out of
round. I figure with an already sized boolit and lapping compound I would be safer.

garandsrus
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I think it would take a whole bunch of boolits run through the die to enlarge the die that much... With lead's lack of spring back, I don't know if you could run a boolit through twice and do anything useful.

When I run a lubed/sized boolit back through the star to add some lube to the top half of the die, there is very little resistance.

John

06-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Go to CastPics, click on Research and Data, and click on Honing A Sizing Die.

Fugowii
06-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks!

06-04-2010, 09:38 PM
You're welcome.

I've done it on a couple sizer dies. Cast up a bunch of test boolits in advance. Go slow. Every so often, clean the die, run a boolit through it, and measure. You'll get there.

Fugowii
06-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Thanks!

legi0n
06-06-2010, 10:15 PM
The die is hardened steel. It won't open up easily.
I did that with a lead plug smeared with coarse valve lapping compound and a cordless drill. Ran it a couple of minutes between size checks. Took me a couple of hours for 1.5 thousands.

Fly
06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
One of the problems you have is the lead is soft & the grains in the compound inbed
in the soft lead.If you had a lathe to turn down a mild steel rod about .429 it would
work as a lap & get you there.

If you don't have a way to turn it down, 320 grit emery cloth in a split rod will work.
Just take it slow & try not to taper it.Even if it does get a little taper on the ends
& the center is to size it will still size your boolit.Also don't run your drill to fast &
use some AMT fluid, mixed with a little kerosene.That makes a good honing oil when
your out of the real stuff.

Hope this helps

Fly