PDA

View Full Version : "Casting Bench"

sirgknight
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm getting to where my arthritis is giving me fits, especially in my wrists and fingers. I got to where a two hour casting session would leave me in pain the rest of the day. It has gotten to the point to where I had to do something about my casting table. Everything is set up in my reloading building and I was using my shooting table as a double for my casting table also. This meant that I was having to hold my molds almost chest high to get the mold under the pot and I had to continue to hold the mold throughout the process of hitting the sprue plate to dumping the bullets. Sooo, I decided to build a "casting shelf" to see if it would help; what a difference!!! This may seem to be a "lazy person's way to cast", but it allows me to be much more comfortable during the whole process. I tried to design as much safety into this as possible to prevent any accidents that may occur. The first pic shows the entire shelf with the bottom pour pot on the right; next to it is where I dump the overrun from the sprue plate; next to it is where I dump the bullets. I haven't cast any water-cooled bullets yet but it will be very convenient to place a bucket of water to the right of the pot for easy drops. The second pic shows where I actually bolt the pot to the shelf. This will prevent any accidental "pushing" of the pot and a disastrous spill. The bolt is loosely applied for easy placement and removal. The third pic shows the hinges that hold the shelf to my shooting bench. The pins are removable, again, for easy placement and removal. The fourth pic shows my shooting bench with the casting shelf removed. The only remaining evidence of the casting shelf are the hinge halves that are permanently attached to the shooting bench legs. I must admit that I was very surprised to learn how much more comfortable it is to cast at a level that low, but it really is. It's basically like holding tools in your hand and then resting your arms on your legs. I guess one would call this "ergonomical casting". Anyway, I thought this may give some of you some ideas about your casting operation. If it helps me, it may help others too. EDIT: By the way, as you can tell in the first pic, this setup allows me to use the top of my shooting bench as a very convenient and easily accessible area to put all of my tools such as flux material, lighter, screwdrivers for tightening the sprue plates and any other items I might need, i.e. cellphone.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/sirgknight/DSCI0027-1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/sirgknight/DSCI0028.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/sirgknight/DSCI0029.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/sirgknight/DSCI0031.jpg

06-04-2010, 12:55 PM
There you go.

I can't incorporate any of your ideas into my setup, however, you got me to thinking about some modifications that I'm going to make.

azjohn
06-04-2010, 11:51 PM
That's not lazy that's a fantastic idea. If you can't enjoy it. it's not much of a hobby

Hang Fire
06-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Looking good for sure, neat way to go.

steg
06-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Their are two Greats here, the first one is that idea, the second one is sharing it with us, thank you very much for sharing this idea with us..........................steg

RP
06-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Anything you can do to remove the manuel work out of casting lubing reloading is a plus. Just because you can do it all day without pain dont make it better. No Pain No Gain just never worked for me. I have tried to streamline everthing about reloading I also like to tinker lol.

imashooter2
06-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Hmmmm... I had to go the exact opposite way and get the pot higher. Working low was a killer for me.

But good job designing a system that works for you!

gray wolf
06-05-2010, 11:01 AM
You saw the problem and fixed it, great job.
Good thinking to bolt the pot down.
I sit and cast trying to keep my back straight,
But my elbows, wrist and fingers hurt me also.

Sam

Hardcast416taylor
06-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Nice looking idea for a solution to the same problem I have. About the only thing I can suggest to make it even more safe is to use bolts with a nut in place of the pins in the hings.Robert

XWrench3
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
congradulations, as we get older, we all have trouble of one sort or another. the key is adapting what you have to work COMFORTABLY for YOU! in my opinion, doing such a thing is something to be proud of. sharing what works can give others inspiration to do something that works for them. none of us can help where our body decides to give us trouble. but we can use that big hunk of grey gook in our head to overcome some of these obsticals. i am glad you found a way to work around your troubles. i have to do the same every now and then. different, is what makes us individules.

qajaq59
06-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately while wisdom comes with age so does that darn arthritis......

There's no way I can stand up long enough to cast on my bench. So I bought a height adjustable chair that I can get to just the right height to cast on my bench comfortably. I also have it on wheels so that if I get a visit from the tinsel fairy I can kick the wall and bail out quickly.

And whatever works for you is the right thing to do.

sirgknight
06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
I too use an adjustable chair on wheels that allows me to reach a comfortable position....and a quick bailout option doesn't hurt either. I'm not trying to make an unenjoyable task more tolerable....I absolutely love everything about casting and reloading. When I was younger I never thought about this being a little bit too tall or a little bit too short or a little bit heavier or a little bit darker or a little bit easier. It was just "git er done, macho man!". Time seems to temper that kind of attitude......