PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Lee TL430-240SWC

BobinIL
06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
I am looking for opinions on using the TL design with a regular luberisizer. And how well do they shoot out of a 44 handgun (ruger Redhawk).

RobS
06-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Accuracy, the bullet shoots well.............using the luberisizer on them well less than perfect, but they can be made to work. The problem had with running the TL bullet through your luberisizer is the possibility of sizing away the shallow lube grooves if the bullet is to be sized down a whole lot and especially if the bullet isn't centered up straight in the die before starting the sizing as it will size down one side of the bullet's TL grooves. This can be combated by using a properly fitted top punch for the bullet design though. The other problem is having the lube push up and onto the nose if the bullets diameter is too small. This is a problem with even a traditional lube groove bullet, but it seems more of an issue with a TL design.

Maven
06-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Mine cast a trifle small for my SBH, but were accurate nevertheless; i.e., at 25 yds. However, leading increased and accuracy diminished if 1,000 fps was exceeded (8 grs. Unique + roll crimp + LR pistol primer in a 10.5" bbl'ed. SBH). Btw, the mold cast quite well, but the no. of rejects was higher than I'd like (flaws in TL bands). Also, I never had a problem lubing them in my Lyman #450.

Rocky Raab
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I only recently got that mould, but initial results are pleasing. I'm keeping them to 1,000 or under in my Bisley 44 Special and they are shooting as well as any other bullet I've used so far.

I shoot them as intended, as-cast and lubed with LLA. I do add a dusting of mica to make them less sticky, but that's all. I seat them with the top band out of the case and crimp into the topmost lube groove.

Elkins45
06-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I've shot it lubed w/ the Lee liquid alox over 19 grains of 2400 with teriffic accuracy. I'm not sure why you would want to go to the trouble of having to size each one when you can potentially get good results with tumble lubing. My advice (which is worth exactly as much as you paid for it) it to try the tumble lube first before going to the trouble of sizing them. You might be pleasantly surprised.

blackpowder man
06-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I bought this mold not too ago and have shot 500 rounds or so and they shoot as good as anything else (and alot better than some) i've tried. They do really well from my 2 SBHs one 7 1/2" and one 4 5/8". I shot them loaded in special and magnum. The specials with this bullet don't feed as smooth in my rossi 92, but they do work. Like the others have said try tumble lube as cast that is why I bought it and it seems to work without leading.

44man
06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Those little bands are prone to hot spots where the lead first hits them and not fill out. I don't know why but care must be taken with timing while you cast or they over heat fast.