PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to start?

M4Sherman
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Alright at the moment I have a turkey frier that is being modified with a air guard and extra support along with various cast iron molds and pots, but it seems that I will need some different equipment and am needing a rundown of the minimum equipment I will need. A set of molds are a given along with a manual to cover the basics. Any advice?

sqlbullet
06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I started with a coleman white gas camp stove and a $20 lee two cavity mold + push through sizing die. I added equipment as I had funds and need. Probably cast my first 500-1000 bullets with that set-up though.

Today I use a Lee 20lb bottom pour pot, and primarily Lee molds. Any bullet design I like, I get a 6 cavity mold for increased production. I have one custom mold from Mountain Molds. I was given a lachmiller lubri-sizer, and now lube using that with Felix lube homemade bullet lube.

The lyman cast bullets handbook is a very valuable resource, especially for cast bullet load data.

mooman76
06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
You actually need very little to start. Most stuff you will have like basic saftey equipment. Gloves, glasses ans such. A steel or cast iron pot, a ladle. A metal sloted spoon to remove excess gunk and WW clips. The $ store can help you will some of this if you are creative.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Don't forget to contact waksupi for loob grooves... :kidding:

Echo
06-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I recommend checking on eBay for used equipment. And it boils down to money. Rhetorically, How Much Do You Want To Spend/ (Or Can Spend) It is possible to cast boolits using stuff you already have. You can have a very serviceable rig for a couple hundred bucks. Or you can pony up a Grand and have a very good set-up. Or a few Grand and go into commercial production.

Larry Gibson
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
The very first thing to get before buying any equipment is the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. The information part will tell you everything you need know and what equipment to get to start. The Lyman book is the basic primer and you will do yourself a great favor to read it. You will also probably save money by getting the right equipment first. You don't have to necessarily get the Lyman equipment as other makes are compatable but the basics of what you need to know and get are there.

The data part is also good to have for your own load information as a starting place and as areference.

Larry Gibson

M4Sherman
06-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Alright cool. I am going to sell my saeco mold to buy a lee pot,the hand book and also some cheap molds. thanks

XWrench3
06-02-2010, 09:07 AM
i noticed that you mentioned nothing abpout a ladel. a good ladel is imperative. i scrounged around at yard sales and flea markets to find mine, never paid more than $5.00 for one. i now have 3. also, a nice ice fishermans ice scoop will work great for removing clips from smelted wheel weights. you will also need some sort of flux. parafin and saw dust are what i use. parafin first, then saw dust. parafin seems to get the crud off from the walls of the pot, then i use the sawdust to get all of it clumped together. the parafin will burn, stir like crazy while it is, and wait until it goes out before adding the sawdust. a lead, or high temp thermometer is also a good investment. and do not forget some good gloves. be safe, have fun, and cast like crazy. before long, the anti's will try to ban this as well.

blackthorn
06-02-2010, 09:14 AM
If you want to melt WW, or any other dirty scrap, do not use your casting pot! A pot can be made from an old 20lb propane tank (usually free), screw out the valve, fill the tank with water and use a hand held “angle” grinder to cut a piece (3 or 4 inches square) out of the top around the valve. Now that you have the danger of an explosion taken care of, drain the water, lay the tank on its side and cut it off as close to the top "shoulder" as possible. Set the "pot" on a turkey frier and your good to go! This pot will hold WAY more lead than you can lift so be prepared to "dip" it out.

Another option is if you have a "tiger torch" or even a good "weed burner": take four building blocks and set them on the ground leaving an opening where the ends of the blocks meet. Place a cast (or steel) 45 degree pipe "elbow" in the opening. Place your pot full of scrap lead on the blocks over the top opening of the elbow, fire up your torch and lay it in the lower end of the elbow.

Hope this helps! Have a great day.

Lead Fred
06-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Before I switched to a furnace, A thermometer was about the most important thing I bought

M4Sherman
06-02-2010, 11:49 PM
The cast iron pot and decent ladles aren't a biggie for me since I have access to a junk store with lots of old cooking ware and the cheap. Do you think a welders jacket will suffice for hand/arm protection?

What kind of thermostat do yall recommend?

Doby45
06-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Thermometer, not thermostat. :) I use the Lyman, it is good AND cheap. Best $32.99 you will spend.

M4Sherman
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I picked up a kettle and a set of ladles and tomorrow I will start hitting up the tire shops for wheel weighs. the rest of the equipment will take some time since the I cant sell my saeco mold on gunbroker. and I guess I had better look for a thermometer instead of the thing on the wall :|