PDA

View Full Version : Stainless sheeting

kbstenberg
06-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I saved an almost new gas BBQ grill from becoming scrap at the local dump the other day. The main burners were shot naturally, but the side burner had never been used.
I have dis-assembled it an have reconfigured it to how i want it. The trouble I'm having is trying to drill holes in stainless sheeting to attach things together. I need to drill some 3/16 inch holes for screws. Drill bits wont touch it, Self tapping screws just smoke, I tried driving 16pennie nails into it. Notta on everything. As a last resort ill try my grinder an use large washers.
Is there any other way to make the holes?
Kevin

Cactus Farmer
06-01-2010, 08:15 AM
22-250?

jhrosier
06-01-2010, 09:11 AM
A new & properly sharpened drill bit should cut stainless without major trauma.
You do want to run the bit slow and use a bit of oil.
If you run the drill fast and let it rub instead of cutting, it will work harden the stainless and you won't drill through it.
You might also want to back up the metal with a block of wood to keep it from flexing.

Jack

thenaaks
06-01-2010, 09:42 AM
get yourself a name brand drill bit (vermont american, bosch, etc). dip that sucker in a capful of motor oil and spin it at less than 1000rpm and it should sling metal spirals in short order. keep the bit lubed and speed down. stainless is a soft steel...should drill relatively easy.

The10mmKid
06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
If all else fails, purchase a top quality Carbide or Cobalt drill.

'da Kid

KYCaster
06-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I drill lots of SS kitchen sinks. A good sharp bit, slow speed and lots of pressure always works well for me.

Jerry

hiram
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
grind a small hole with a dremel tool----finish with a drill