PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkles in my boolits

Thebeancounter
05-31-2010, 08:23 AM
I just had my first session and report mixed results. I bought a Lee furnace that leaks. Also bought Lee 6 cavity mold for 38 special. I figure that I am have it close but not yet right.

I am using a dipper to fill the mold and frequently the cavity is not completely full but the lead puddles on the sprue plate like the cavity is full.

Boolits have creases and what looks like folds.

Could the mold be cold or should I crank the heat on the furnace?

Should I try to use the spout on the pot instead of the dipper?

Thanks,
Bill

atr
05-31-2010, 08:38 AM
yes....the mix is to cold...and probably the mold is too
I use a dipper and if the mix is the right tempt it will work fine.

docone31
05-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Yep, too cold.
I would have started with a two banger, rather than a six banger.
The two holers are tough enough in the beginning.
Crank it up, and start from the handle side and fill to the front.
The handles soak a lot of heat.

DLCTEX
05-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Preheat the mould. A cheap hot plate from WalMart, one with a smooth surface or put a metal plate on the burner, is one way to do it. Cast out of the wind and regulate mould temp by speed of casting.

Shiloh
05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Clean the mold REALLY well when brand new. Pre-heat it.

I agree with the other fellows, the mold is still to cool for good boolits.

Shiloh

Echo
05-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Fix the pot so that it doesn't leak (much!) and bottom-pour. Sit the mold on top of the pot to warm up as the ingots melt. Plus do the stuff the above posts suggest.

Tazman1602
05-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Preheat the mould. A cheap hot plate from WalMart, one with a smooth surface or put a metal plate on the burner, is one way to do it. Cast out of the wind and regulate mould temp by speed of casting.

+1 to what DLC said.

Six bangers take a bit of getting used to. Once you get it up to temp and get it throwing good bullets -- crank the heat up on the pot too, eventually it will get too hot and start throwing "frosty" bullets. At that point just back off a bit on your casting speed and/or turn down the pot a *little*.

Preheating the mold with a hotplate (around $10 at Walgreens or Wally world) will solve the too cold issue. I now preheat ALL my molds.

Welcome to the wonderful world of addiction!!

Art

Thebeancounter
06-01-2010, 09:36 PM
thanks guys... off to Walmart