PDA

View Full Version : Strange Weekend

KCSO
05-30-2010, 05:32 PM
I took my buddy turkey hunting this weekend and we camped along the river in typical Nebraska weather. Hot dry windy cold and rainy. We put out set lines in 40 mph winds at 93 degrees and almost had heat stroke trying to walk up a turkey. Had all of our set lines solen while we wete in camp and had to re set them and then caught a leather back turtle. By 11 PM last night the temps started to dro and it started to rain. ALL NIGHT what a storm, we barely got home as the road to the river went under water, and the temps dropped to 53 degres... But it was a wonderful weekend.

Whle we were setting lines my buddy asked if I used wheel weights for anything other than set lines. Then he said we got 2 5 gallon buckets a few years ago and he had no use for them and will bring them up the next time he comes if he can get his neighbor to lift them into his truck with his tractor. Just goes to show that every cloud had a leaden lining.

RobS
05-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Good to have friends.

steg
05-31-2010, 04:12 AM
You would be surprised at what friends have stashed away like that, I let everyone I know that I collect lead af any kind, Just yesterday a buddy told me he came across a half of a case of lead that was used as a body filler years ago, he asked me if I was interested in it, I think the drooling answered his question, Didn't get it yet but I know it's coming, another thing is when you go to a garage or some other enterprise to try and scrounge wheelweights, I tell them I'm casting lures for my buddies who fish off Georges Banks, and actually I do, when I'm done smelting all of the zinc and other materials I'm not sure of go into lures for my buddies, they charge them an arm and a leg for them aboard ship, I don't go with them cause I think I invented seasickness, LOL...........steg

44man
05-31-2010, 07:28 AM
I just got some of those body leading strips and there are no marks on them. I don't remember what is in them.
Does anyone know?

blackthorn
05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
+1 on asking---I asked for scrap WW at the little garage where I get my truck serviced, I did'nt get much in the way of lead but he had an old lyman ladle and two cast iron pots (ten and 20 pound) with handles that he gave me. Also he gave me a tin small-loaf pan full of some kind of hard lube (may be Beeswax). He will save what WW he doesnt reuse and any battery cable ends for me.

Randy in Arizona
06-01-2010, 12:10 AM
I just got some of those body leading strips and there are no marks on them. I don't remember what is in them.
Does anyone know?

IIRC Body solder is 50/50 tin/lead.