PDA

View Full Version : What a difference lube makes. .

Dick Dastardly
08-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Got me a new Winchester commemerative 94 in 38-55. Bought the appropriate LEE mold and cast up some bullets. Loaded 'em over a compressed charge of bp with a 1/16" fiber wad between the bullet and the powder. Made sure they would cycle thru the new gun.

Went to the range and started sighting in. Initial groups were small, but quickly opened up to 5moa or more. Stopped shooting, swabbed the barrel, shot some more. Smaller groups, but not as good as the first ones.

When I got home I carefully inspected the bore. It was really leaded up. Took me half an hour to get it clean again.

Then, having gotten my new custom DD 38-55 240 mold from LEE, I cast some up, lube/sized 'em and loaded 'em up same as the first batch. Groups started small and stayed that way. I sincerely believe that with eyes better than mine, or a good glass sight this gun would hold inside 1moa.

The ONLY difference between the two bullets is the original LEE mold had a bevel base and two skimpy lube groves. My own design has two big lube canyons and hauls more than Seven times the lube as the original LEE design.

Ok, the Lee design is probably ok with heathen smokeyless fad powder, but it sucks with Holy Black. The DD 38-55 240 mold was designed on the basic profile of the LEE mold, but it has a flat base and much larger lube capacity.

When the last session ended the muzzle was wet with lube and the gun cleaned up with a spritz of Moosemilk and a tug of the boresnake. I mean clean here. No leading and no fouling. Just sparkling clean rifling.

I'll be working on this gun to get the results I want out to 300 yards. Beyond that, I have a fine 45-70 and bullets I've designed for it. But that's another story.

DD-DLoS

Bucks Owin
08-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Went to the range and started sighting in. Initial groups were small, but quickly opened up to 5moa or more. Stopped shooting, swabbed the barrel, shot some more. Smaller groups, but not as good as the first ones.

When I got home I carefully inspected the bore. It was really leaded up. Took me half an hour to get it clean again.

"Holy Black" powder huh? [smilie=1:

Dennis

powderburnerr
08-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Bucks....smokeless is a passing fancy ya know.......Dean

StarMetal
08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
powderburner,

That's true, the next gun of the future will surely be something exotic like a particle beam gun or ultra sound blaster gun. Maybe like Captain Kirk said to his Star Trek crew "Set you phasors to stun"

Joe

HTRN
08-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Nope, next gen weapon will be caseless, followed by Mass driver(if they can ever get the superconductor problem solved).

HTRN

StarMetal
08-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Nope, next generation will not be caseless. HK did a real big thing on that many years and nothing become of it.

Joe

1Shirt
08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
And there was the gyrojet, and the dardic that shot trounds, and a whole bunch of wierd stuff. Shouldn't forget Capt. Kirks fazers or phazers or how ever ya spell it.
1 Shirt!

lar45
08-08-2006, 01:28 AM
DD, what lube were you useing? and where did you get your .375 card wads? Did you happen to check the velocity?
TIA.

HTRN
08-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Nope, next generation will not be caseless. HK did a real big thing on that many years and nothing become of it.

Joe

Sorry, but there's still a great deal of research being done for it, particularly for aircraft - empty cases pose a significant nuisance to them - ejecting them from them aircraft poses a debris hazard, and if you don't you have to store them. Most likely the next step is going to be combustable cases, which is actually being developed for German tanks - all that's left after firing is a short section of base. Part of the problem with Caseless ammo is that it doesn't do to well in inclement weather - the binding agents don't like water at all, plus they have a nasty habit of fouling the weapon. But the idea shows enough merit that it continues to be developed. The G11's problems were A) it was too freaky looking B) it wasn't ready for prime time and C) the caliber was way waaaay too small, and most importantly D)It was way too expensive.

There are a number of companies devoted to development of the concept, notably Advanced Caseless Ammunition Inc. (http://www.caselessammunition.com/)

HTRN

Leftoverdj
08-08-2006, 04:07 AM
Daisy did caseless with diesel ignition, and there were some diesel ignited, ether propellent German rifles.

StarMetal
08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
HTRN,

....and let me add E. the biggest problem of all YOU CAN'T RELOAD IT....har har har

seriously, I really don't think it will take over. I believe the next technological improvement will be a big jump....no bullet, no propellant....a phazer or something really exotic.

Joe

357maximum
08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Man don't any of you own a television??

In the future, life will be gentle and peaceful, no need for weapons, no want for weapons. The greed and violence of the past and today, will have miracously vanished, and we have the BILLARY CLINTON types to thank for it, and the lefties will have made utopia for all, come on get with the program....

StarMetal
08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah, at that rate will me making head towel wraps for the ****e Heads!!

Joe