PDA

View Full Version : Another 9mm thread with a twist.

goste
05-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi all, I got my new 9mm mould in the mail yesterday, a Lee 125 r n, Not the TL. Couldn't wait, so melted enough WW, to cast about 40.....

Mould likes to run REAL hot, but got some really nice bullets. Lubed with 60%JPS,and about 40% thinned Xlox....Loaded them up tonight and fired off in a Compact Witness Poly, Mag fed single shot...Loaded up with 3.3 gr 700x functioned fine , and best of all, NO lead....Thus the twist for me...

Guess I got lucky, as the mold drops at .3575-358. WWWAy more accurate than WW white box....:mrgreen:

Later...... Caspar...............

Houndog
05-28-2010, 09:53 PM
You gotta love it when a plan comes together! I use that same boolet water dropped, lubed with BAC and sized to .357 over 4.0 231 as my all purpose 9mm load. It has worked in several 9mms well.

I've got a 6 hole mold, and it also likes hot! My alloy is 10lbs ww and 3 oz lead free solder.

armoredman
05-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice, great to hear it!

thenaaks
05-28-2010, 10:21 PM
i got the 125gr tl 9mm mould. drops at 3575, but i'm still getting leading in my pt92...i'm officialy jealous

ItZaLLgooD
05-30-2010, 07:49 AM
So you are tumble lubing with the standard lube groove? I am having a little trouble with a 40 and the TL boolit and was thinking of trying a regular lube groove boolit and TLing it.

goste
05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
itsZaLLgooD....Yes, I tumble lube the standard groove boolit. I use the TL, in .45, and have great results with it....By reading a lot of post's here, It seems to me. that at least in 9mm, that the TL boolit may not be the best choice, as it seems that a lot of people who use it, have leading issues...

I also learned from the experts here, to slug my 9mm barrels. I shoot 5 9mm's. HiPower, Berreta92, CZ75b, Sigma, and Eaa witness. The smallest bore I have, out of all of them, is the Sigma, and it's .356+........The HIPower is .357+.

I also think that 700x may not be the best choice, for 9mm, altho I love it for .45, and 9x18...I'll try houndog's load of 4.0 of 231...

Capar..

HeavyMetal
05-30-2010, 12:54 PM
I can push that same boolit, lubed with Blue Angel or Carnuba Red, to plus 1400 in my PT99 using Blue Dot and I get no leading.

Not efficent, cost wise, but I've had a half dozen people ask me when Taurus made a 357 auto pistol

To be honest my PT has a 6 inch barrel in it and can make the most of that Blue Dot load.

However if you have some it will really wake up that 92 and CZ 75!

goste
05-30-2010, 09:43 PM
HeavyMetal....I may try that powder...I use to load a lot of blue dot in 9mm jacketed loads, also .357Mag. I never thought to try it for 9mm cast.

I like 700x, but I loaded my 40rds, and weighed each charge, and it seemed to vary from shot to shot, It was accurate tho..I didn't sort my brass by headstamp, like I normally do for 9mm, so I guess I could have had some case volume variation.. Just seemed excessive to me...and as someone said,"700x is kinda a weird powder.."

Academy use to sell 9mm blazer, for 3.79 per box here in TX. some years ago, so I stopped reloading 9mm for years.....
Later Caspar

HeavyMetal
05-30-2010, 11:12 PM
case volume really jumps around in the 9mm case!

Ken Waters did an update on his 9mm loads a bunch of years back and I believe it to be the best work done to date on the 9mm case.

In his update he shows Super Vel, S&W, and WW case's to have 9 grains of water capacity, Remington and Frontier have 8 grains and Norma and Federal have 7.5 grains.

This is a 20% spread between case brands and could get you into trouble fast if you mix case brands with hot loads!

Now this update was done in 1982 and, while I still consider it the work on the 9mm, lets face it thats 28 years ago and one would hope that the manufacturers are just a little more uniform these days.

Still I would, and do, consider WW brass to be the go to case for my Blue Dot load and will suggest you do the same if you don't feel like weighing case's full of water for a volume number.

I also figured out from Ken's update that case lengths were all over the place with the 9mm and so I sort and trim my winchester case's for the Bluedot load.

Matter of fact I sort and trim for all the 9mm loads I use!

If your interested in the update it is, of course, in Ken's pet loads book and was originally printed in the May 1982 Handloader magazine.

If you try the load let us know what you think of it.

docone31
05-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I use Blue Dot. My Star likes it.
No issues.