PDA

View Full Version : Way to go, Governor

crabo
05-28-2010, 05:35 PM
http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/predator-hunting/articlecontent/5/2010/782/texas-governors-showdown-spurs-coyote-special-pistol

You can't say Rick Perry doesn't set a good example.

DLCTEX
05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
He moved up a notch in my estimation. PETA person said he could have at least given the coyote a decent burial. Gov. reportedly said "He's compost". The coyote would have given the puppy a decent burial, a scat pile (my comment).

crabo
05-28-2010, 10:42 PM
California:

Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks dog.

#1. Governor starts to intervene, reflects upon the movie "Bambi"
and then realizes he should stop; the coyote is only doing what is natural.

#2. He calls animal control. Animal control captures coyote and
spends $200 testing it for diseases and $500 upon relocating it.

#3. He calls veterinarian. Vet collects dead dog and spends $200
testing it for diseases.

#4. Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for
diseases from the coyote and on getting bite wound bandaged.

#5. Running trail gets shut down for 6 months while wildlife
services conduct a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is clear
of dangerous animals.

#6. Governor spends $50,000 of state funds implementing a "coyote
awareness" program for residents of the area.

#7. State legislature spends $2 million investigating how to better
handle rabies and how to possibly eradicate the disease.

#8. Governor's security agent is fired for not stopping the attack
and for letting the Governor intervene.

#9. Cost: $75,000 to train new security agent.

#10. PETA protests the coyote relocation and files suit against the state.

Texas:

#1. Governor shoots coyote and keeps jogging. Governor has spent
$0.50 on a .380 hollow point cartridge. Buzzards eat dead coyote.

Any wonder why California is broke?

Echo
05-29-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm gonna order one!

I don't know what kind of marksman Jan Brewer is, but she has been known to cut up rough.

And does Texas have a 1070 yet? Huh?

lwknight
06-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Must be " NOT" because I don't know what a 1070 is.
I could be just ignorant too.

EMC45
06-01-2010, 08:02 AM
California:

Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks dog.

#1. Governor starts to intervene, reflects upon the movie "Bambi"
and then realizes he should stop; the coyote is only doing what is natural.

#2. He calls animal control. Animal control captures coyote and
spends $200 testing it for diseases and $500 upon relocating it.

#3. He calls veterinarian. Vet collects dead dog and spends $200
testing it for diseases.

#4. Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for
diseases from the coyote and on getting bite wound bandaged.

#5. Running trail gets shut down for 6 months while wildlife
services conduct a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is clear
of dangerous animals.

#6. Governor spends $50,000 of state funds implementing a "coyote
awareness" program for residents of the area.

#7. State legislature spends $2 million investigating how to better
handle rabies and how to possibly eradicate the disease.

#8. Governor's security agent is fired for not stopping the attack
and for letting the Governor intervene.

#9. Cost: $75,000 to train new security agent.

#10. PETA protests the coyote relocation and files suit against the state.

Texas:

#1. Governor shoots coyote and keeps jogging. Governor has spent
$0.50 on a .380 hollow point cartridge. Buzzards eat dead coyote.

Any wonder why California is broke?

Nailed it!

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Interstingly the law that they stated does not allow shooting in self - defense, but helping out an animal is legal?

"State law allows people to shoot coyotes that are threatening livestock or domestic animals."

pjh421
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
When I moved back to my hometown after the service I was filling out an application for a permit to purchase a handgun (IA state law) and since I was in the sheriff's office made the mistake of inquiring about a ccw. Long story short, at that time unless you routinely carried in excess of $10k, there was no point in asking. It was so nice of them to place an actual dollar-amount figure on the value of my life. Yep, some laws make no sense. That's about to change in January for us thanks to the current legislature's fear of the coming elections in November.

Paul

geargnasher
06-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Interestingly is is a STATE JAIL FELONY in Texas to shoot a dog unless it is your own, or you have the owner's explicit consent (better get it in writing beforehand). The only defense to prosecution is if the dog was ACTIVELY destroying livestock and you can prove it.

I guess coyotes don't count.

Gear

geargnasher
06-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Interstingly the law that they stated does not allow shooting in self - defense, but helping out an animal is legal?

"State law allows people to shoot coyotes that are threatening livestock or domestic animals."

That's right, and the same goes for domestic or feral dogs, too. It doesn't matter if it is attacking you, your wife, your kids, your neighbors, PERIOD. There is NO right granted or implied to kill a dog or coyote in self-defense, a right granted hundreds of times against humans in the criminal code. It is a bad law and needs to be changed to provide for these defenses. Of course, it's up to the responding officer's common sense whether the report is forwarded for prosecution.

Gear

lwknight
06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
It might be against the law to shoot a dog in SD but, you would be hard pressed to find a sherriff to enforce it.

JIMinPHX
06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
made the mistake of inquiring about a ccw. Long story short, at that time unless you routinely carried in excess of $10k, there was no point in asking. It was so nice of them to place an actual dollar-amount figure on the value of my life.

That's the same dollar amount that Massachusetts used to use as their justification threshold.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-03-2010, 04:46 PM
That's right, and the same goes for domestic or feral dogs, too. It doesn't matter if it is attacking you, your wife, your kids, your neighbors, PERIOD. There is NO right granted or implied to kill a dog or coyote in self-defense, a right granted hundreds of times against humans in the criminal code. It is a bad law and needs to be changed to provide for these defenses. Of course, it's up to the responding officer's common sense whether the report is forwarded for prosecution.

Gear

Here in Arizona we don't have such sillyness! My life is threatened I have the right to defend myself (as long as I'm not doing something against the law to begin with!) We also use the "Castle Doctrine"!

Ed Barrett
06-03-2010, 06:41 PM
It might be against the law to shoot a dog in SD but, you would be hard pressed to find a sherriff to enforce it.

Around here It's Sort of like the Military "Don't ask, don't tell"

Suo Gan
06-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Gear

This is interesting.

http://mercatus.org/publication/freedom-50-states-index-personal-and-economic-freedom?id=26154