PDA

View Full Version : Bug out or survival reloading

1Shirt
05-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Got to thinking about what if all ****broke loose and me and mine had to head for the boonies to survive. What in addition to clothes and food, sleeping bags, shovel and tools would be required and on more or less a short notice basis, and also what I could get in one vehicle and be on the road. So, of course, what guns, what reloading equipment, what molds, what powder, what primers, etc. So here is what I came up with that to me seemed logical.

Firearms:
A 22 Rifle and a 22 Handgun, and at least two bricks of LR (Probably a 10-22 and Bearcat.
A 357, and 100 rds. of Mag ammo, and 200 Rds. of 38S.
A 30-06, and 100 rds of Ammo (Jacketed)(Springfield)
A 30-30, and 100 rds of Ammo (Jacketed or Cast)(M-94 Win)
A Side by Side Shotgun, 20 ga. and 4 bx of #6 Shot, and 4bx of Slugs (have a 20)

Molds:
31141HP, 357429 (1000 gas checks for each)

Reloading tools: (that I have)
Lyman 310 tool w/30-06 dies ( can also load 308 with these)
Same tool with 308 dies, and with 357 Dies.
Lee Loader 20g./500 wads
Deburring Tool
Lee Measuring tools.
Lyman Dipper
small steel or cast iron pot
10 sticks of lube, and a couple of btls of mule snot

Primers:
1000 SR Mag.
2000 LR
500 Shotgun Primers

Powder:
4 Lb. 2400(Rifles & 357)
4 lb. Unique(Rifles/357/20g.
2 Lb. 3031(Rifles)

Misc:
10 lb. shot
25 lb. lead (more if weight and space allowed)

Think I could get all of the reloading necessities into a decent size suitcase, but it would be a heavy one for sure. The rifles cased, and the revolvers holstered.

Now the probability of the doomsday meantality ever happening, of if so being in a position to survive is hopefully extremely remote. However, I read a lot of "What if's" books, and watch a fair amount of similar t.v., so this is just more or less off the top of the head thinking on my part. I am thinking survival, subsistance, self protection, etc., etc, etc.

Would be interested in your thoughts on my listings and thoughts, and also what you would have and take as far as your bug out gear.

Anyhow, might be some interesting thoughts and ideas, so will look forward to any and all responses.

1Shirt!:coffee:

MT Gianni
05-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Savage 24 22lr/20 gauge
100 rds 20 gauge #4-7.5 shot, 25 rds slugs
1050 22lr
Ruger Blkhwk 45 dual cylinder
500 rds each Kimber 45 goes if there is a defensive need
BLR 308 200 rds

No time to cast or reload but if so I take a 454424, 452460, RCBS180fn, a lee hand press, 1000 LR primers, 2000 LP primers and a couple of Lee sizing dies. I would hand lube and need 30 cal gc, AA9, Unique or Herco and 4064.

If I haul it in a truck a stick bow, arrows, 12 connibears and 12 #3 Jumptraps go with, as do 4-5 fishing rods and gear for setlines. Shovel, axe, maul and come-along are in the truck.

Alternate is a BLR in 358, 357 Blkhwk and a 358429 mold. Savage 24 goes either way.

Trey45
05-28-2010, 06:06 PM
If I had to bug out quickly, I honestly don't know if I'd take anything for reloading or not. I have thousands of commercial rounds in 50 cal ammo cans, more than likely I'd grab as many of those as I could, and 2 of my "ebr's" a couple pistols, maybe a 12 gauge, and boogy.

RP
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
No where to run and from what everone that knows me has said they are coming to my house for final stand. I told them make sure they bring something to the table dont need any free loaders.

missionary5155
05-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Good Evening
I highly recommend a fine book called Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles.
The issue of long term survival is more than packing up a few rounds and weapons.
When I was in Tank Commander school the old sarge repeated many times.. "Troop the first consideration in any military opporation is Logistics, Logistics, LOGISTICS.
Prestocking your hideaway, having a means to get there and a defensive plan upon arrival with SOPS already thought out will make all the difference.

deerslayer
05-28-2010, 07:13 PM
No where to run and from what everone that knows me has said they are coming to my house for final stand. I told them make sure they bring something to the table dont need any free loaders.

That is what I was thinking!!

Houndog
05-28-2010, 09:28 PM
What missionary said +1
Unless you have a place pre selected and stocked, your chances of survival WILL go down FAST! You would be far better off staying home and prepaired to defend your family and yourself IN MOST CASES. You DO keep at least a 2 week supply of non perishable food and water don't you? The big exception to that rule might be someone in a big city apartment type situation where looting and burning everything in sight would fast become the norm. The first 4 critical needs are Water, Food, Shelter and lastly a way to defend yourself. DO NOT rely on money to get you through! It WILL become almost worthless in a true SHTF situation! A total economic colapse, MAJOR disaster, or a war on our soil are the only reasons I think that could touch off a total meltdown. It doesn't hurt to prepare for such an occurance as best you can but hope and pray it NEVER happens.

beagle
05-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Skeeter Skelton ran that one around in an article many years back. I believe the consensus was a .22 rifle and plenty of ammo.

I agree with houndog, you better have a place picked out to go as everyone and his brother will be thinking the same thing so you're probably better to fort up at home, hunker down and keep everything loaded and ready. East of the rockies, there's not that many places to run to that are uninhabited./beagle

1Shirt
05-29-2010, 01:57 AM
A relocation spot is a must, and I have always had three in mind, in two different states, and within a full tank of gas, in areas of sparce population, with adequate water supply, and quarters that would not be fancy, but would also be adequate. As far as the hunker down at home bit, and if I couldn't get out of Dodge so to speak, most of my neighboors would become I think part of my fort or our fortress area.

East of the Rockies is a different factor. West of the Mississippi, there is a whole whoop of uninhabited in the sparce population states like North and South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, Wy, Idaho, Colorado etc. (Check the population per square mile) Agree that the relocation factor east of the Miss would be a big problem, but there are areas. Places in the great smokies, part of the mountains in N. Ga, and in the mountains in North eastern N.Y., and the forest areas in Maine come to mind. But a lot of these areas require a lot of cold weather savy as well as just basic survival.

One of the big problem would be the duration of the mess and stabalization if possible. If it were prolonged for X period (what ever that may be), think most of us would be pretty sorry pieces of humanity. And of course there is the factor(s) of illness, accidents, medical care or lack of same, etc. Note also that there is a push on buying survival foods to cover at least two weeks, and places to buy organic seeds advertized as being capable of planting an acre. So some are for sure thinking about a long run proposition. So, it is an indication that a lot of folks are at least thinking of the possibility of a lousy situation in the future.

Try the book (since reading is suggested) "Lucifiers Hammer". Most interesting, a bit of a stretch possibly, but lots of good thoughts and theories. Military survival manuals would be invaluable, and ammo for sure would be a most valuable trade item, and the ability and knowledge of reloading, and military training would be most valuable skills.
Will have to see if I can find the book Patriots, by Rawls, it sounds interesting. Do
like the Sav M-24, in 22/20g., great survival weapon. Wish I haden't sold mine 25 or so years ago.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Superfly
05-29-2010, 02:07 AM
This thread reminds me that i need to go pick up my model 24 in 223 20 gauge

Jaime

exile
05-29-2010, 04:22 AM
1. Stainless Ruger single-six.

2. Smith and Wesson .44 Mountain Gun.

3. Bolt action rifle in .44 magnum or .357 magnum. (don't own one, but somebody brought it up the other day and it sounds like a good idea.)

4. A Bible.

I guess if I could find a bolt rifle in .357 magnum I would take the S & W 686, if a .44, then the Mountain Gun.

5. Maybe sneak in a Glock 26 or Glock 17 as well, who knows?

exile

Bret4207
05-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Good Evening
I highly recommend a fine book called Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles.
The issue of long term survival is more than packing up a few rounds and weapons.
When I was in Tank Commander school the old sarge repeated many times.. "Troop the first consideration in any military opporation is Logistics, Logistics, LOGISTICS.
Prestocking your hideaway, having a means to get there and a defensive plan upon arrival with SOPS already thought out will make all the difference.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Patriots is based on a bunch of unbelievably wealthy 20 somethings with incredible foresight who all just happen to be so morally, ethically and physically superior to every other human that ever lived that they never, ever make a mistake-ever. There's lots of decent doomer fiction out there, but Patriots is written on the 8-9th grade reading level, about like the Left Behind series.

Frugal Squirrels and Time Bomb 2000 both have doomer fiction areas and some of it is pretty decent. It'll make you think, but most of it is written pretty poorly. Thomas Sherry is one exception and he's not too bad, he has 3 books out now you can get cheaply. He's no Tom Clancy or James Michener but at least you can keep his characters straight and he doesn't spend every 3rd paragraph describing a piece of gear down to the model number and cost and where to get it.

And if you're actually bugging out, the biggest thing is to stay out of sight.

Lead Fred
05-29-2010, 09:04 AM
The Lee classic loader makes it so you can hand load several calibers out of a small box without a press.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_210526_imageset_02?$main-Large$

I have 45-70, 30-06, and 30-30. A common powder (IMR-4895 or Rldr-7) Large rifle primers (Rem 9 1/2).

Geraldo
05-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Forting up sounds cool right up to the point where you get overrun and you and the family get slaughtered.

If such a scenario came true, I'd grab one of my flinters, some lead, a mold, and all the BP I could carry, along with my 56# Bob Lee recurve. Not sexy, I know, but avoiding fights and hunting quietly would be the best way to survive long term.

Trey45
05-29-2010, 09:58 AM
As long as we're looking at bug out scenarios, and this might be just me, but IF we're attacked by something large enough to warrant evacuation, I feel it's going to be something like an EMP device. Try starting your trucks once the computer is fried. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of staying right where I am. I live in the country, there's a HUGE swamp behind my house, plenty of water, game, fish and flora to forrage. The neighbors are like minded people, my closest neighbor has a pond dug on his property he stocks with fish, not as pets, but as food.

Cord
05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
“Patriots” is just OK, for a fictional story stretched out over a discussion like this,
but it could make you think about some things....it has its place for those who
recently began contemplating this and whose thinking may not be as advanced.

I like the author’s Rule #1: “Don’t believe anything the government says.”

In the book there is one couple who wait too long to bug out – load up all their
gear in two cars and leave at night – and only get ten blocks before they are
ambushed and lose it all, ending up on foot.....remember, it’s only a story....

But in an absolute worst case SHTF self defense scenario,
every member of your family suddenly becomes a combat infantryman.

Start there and work up.....Properly thought out,
it will make you feel very naked and wanting to hide.

Regarding "survival reloading", which this thread is about, the components would
take up almost as much room as factory ammo, would require a lot of calm,
undisturbed time with good light in a dry location, and not be as good for
"survival trading" as factory ammo in boxes.

pmeisel
05-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I watched Red Dawn again a couple of weeks ago.....

gray wolf
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
It's a good question you are asking and I hate to come down on anyone--BUT---
If you are asking this question you need some Edumication on this matter.
Just how far do you think you will get on a tank of gas if the SHTF for real ? and how
much do you think you will get in one vehicle ? and what is your destination ?
How about your skills ? Your half as good in a gun fight--Add to that screaming hungry kids and a wife to take care of plus total break down of all good and services.
Lets not forget the time of year.
IMHO your bag should be packed by now, and your skills fine tuned to the max.
But it's not to late to play out all the possibilities in your mind and think them through.
Let the make believe situations you play out help you with the answers you are looking for.
Every one in your unit should have a side arm and one long gun and dam well know how to use them. one long range weapon, one shot gun, two assault rifles if there are 4 people in your unit. Then saddle everyone up with a pack and 5 days of food, two canteens and a small hand held water filter. A way to warm your food without a smoking fire.
And then see how much ammo you can still carry. Lets not forget the first aid supplies.
You do know about first aid and sucking gun shot wounds --Right.
If you are stationary in any way and an angry mob that wants what you have they will get it.
Perhaps by just waiting you out, burning you out, starving you out, or you will just plain give up thinking that if you give them a few thing they wont rape your wife while you watch and then kill you if they haven't done it by then.
If you think you will just crash through military road blocks better think again. Ever see what a 50 Cal does to a car, or van ?
Hey I am just telling you how it is.
Better turn off the TV and get up to speed with what is happening on our once was fine little planet Earth.
Trust me I am not a doomer just telling it like it is. No head in the sand here.
If you think you are going to have time for reloading in the situation that YOU are describing
then you better add a Monopoly set and checkers and perhaps a deck of cards to your bug out bag. You may be able to start a fire with them because you sure ain't going to have the time to play with them.
I hope what I have hinted at makes you think a little.
This is one thing I don't kid about.
Keep in mind that staying out of the gun fights and evading is your friend.
The OK coral didn't work out for everyone. Confront and fight only if you are pushed into it.
A little silver and a 1/4 OZ. gold piece or two is not a bad idea.

Bret4207
05-29-2010, 10:30 AM
There are much better doomer fiction stories out there- Last Light, The Carpenter Papers, We Interrupt This Program. Lights Out and Sherrys "Deep Winter", "Shatter" and the 3rd one in the series (which wasn't as good as the first 2, he starts turning his protagonist into superman.) "One Second After" isn't bad either, but most of these fail in one spot of another. Authors who aren't gun people or mechanics or farmers that try and tell how "...the recoil from the 9mm magnum stung his hand and rocked him backward..." or "...after replacing the carburetor he got the big Mack diesel to start..." or "...after he spaded up 3 acres of land that afternoon...", just drive me nuts. Same for the Jerry Ahern types that spend 3 paragraphs talking about the heroes super bug out vehicle with 3 transmissions, two power plants, a microwave and a jaccuzzi in the bed.

A little reality is a good thing.

RP
05-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Think hard and long about it most have nowhere to go. Others think they have somewhere to help put their minds to ease if they are really thinking the SHTF. Those who really have a place and its ready for the dooms day what if you cant get to it or maybe someone beats you there. You know if the SHTF some guy thinks I know a spot some guy have out in the woods we can go and be safe now hes in and your trying to get him out. I myself dont want to run around hiding like a rat in fear so I pick a changing plan of group protection and survial. That I think gives a better survial rate you can debate it all day. Think of it this way how many make it alone or small groups like family units even in the early days familys would help each other. That is for those of us that dont have hundreds or thousands of acres of land to live off of. Another thought while your stocking up dont forget meds and stuff for the girls when that time of the month comes around without that stuff you just may want to shoot your wife or yourself.

Wayne Smith
05-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I figgure, living in the shadow of the largest Naval base in the world, a Naval Air Station, Seal base, etc., and a Nuke plant up the river plus whatever the Navy has stored at their Munitions Depot on the York River we don't have a snowballs chance in He** of surviving that scenario. If the house should chance to survive we won't!

I gave up worrying about it years ago. It's all in God's hands, not mine.

Bullshop
05-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Maybe a good solution would be to be living in your bug out location and have adopted a subsistence life style before it is needed.
We dont live here for the weather or the $, ya think!
BIC/BS

Changeling
05-29-2010, 01:51 PM
If all hell does break loose. Don't go to the boonies, stay where you are. The boonies are where every one says they are going, hell you'll have to get a parking permit, LOL.

Cactus Farmer
05-29-2010, 02:20 PM
""I like the author’s Rule #1: “Don’t believe anything the government says.” ""

Can we start now?

walltube
05-29-2010, 04:30 PM
other than to those family members or trusted friends you know without a doubt will not betray you. The SHTF scenario you expect to happen may be Nation wide, not just your neighborhood.

I hasten to define "betray" as those that are not capable of keeping their word when the heat is on. Not nesessarily in a treacherous manner, mind you, but having to deal with the reality of subsisting on short rations (water, food), less than ideal sanitary conditions or un-foreseen personality conflicts. Humans are known to be spectacularly unpredictible creatures even when not under great pressure.

This Sunday I'll be spending the day with those folks in Hancock County,MS that survived ( to one degree or another) hurricane Katrina's destruction. This group includes those that had plans, food, water, etc. in place and those that did not. A much wiser and better prepared bunch of folk indeed. I am going to be treated to some good, first hand survival stories and advisories.

To put in perspective for Ya'll who were not there or think they know something about Katrina in MS., Katrina's surge pushed five miles inland way North of I-10. This is where most of these folks lived.

Wishing all here a good day with your respective family & friends celebrating Memorial Day as Memorial Day should be. It's more than the BBQ...

Wt...:)

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Strange,
this topic was brought up by the Owner/Moderator of another site yesterday also...He must be here watching and/or sharing ???
ANYWAY here is my bugout gun.

SKS with a satchel of steel core ammo on strippers.

I am shunned by my local gun loving friends for believing this.
my thoughts are:
Besides being a durable and reliable shooter,
the Steel core will zing through a vest and maybe take a chunk out of a engine block.
If the reason I am bugging out is because of a highly populated communist force,
and I actually survive, I have a good chance of scoring some ammo.

Blammer
05-29-2010, 10:22 PM
If you bug out, don't come to the mountains. I live here and we don't want any refugees.

Charlie Sometimes
05-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Forting up sounds cool right up to the point where you get overrun and you and the family get slaughtered.

If such a scenario came true....... but avoiding fights and hunting quietly would be the best way to survive long term.

I agree. Have a cache somewhere to put things no one else can find- your critical resupply point. Rarely visit it. Stick and move, stick and move. Never be seen, and don't stay in one place very long. Your lives will depend on many skills that you will never ever learn totally from a book. The bigger the party, the harder to hide, the larger demand for all commodities. It won't be pretty, sexy, or easy! "Roughing it" will not be even close to describing it. The Indians had it easier than it will be when it does happen.

Learn to do without, go hungry a lot, and sleep in a cold camp for starters...........

"Bug out" will only be to get home or to your family meeting place should it happen when you are not where you should be when it does!

Gekco- maybe a caveman could could do it! :lol:

WILCO
05-30-2010, 12:37 AM
all I have is a can of beefaroni, a bottle of water and some lead. I think I can make it with those items........

GabbyM
05-30-2010, 01:42 AM
If you are beset by a tragic event you'll end up someplace where their is running water and a sewer system. Not to mention food.

I don't think you are on an earthquake fault but I'm not really up on your area. Here in my area St Louis and Memphis are set to take a hit they say in the next fifty years. If city infrastructure are damaged to the point where water and sewer stop you'll be wanting to move the family out. You'll be heading for shelters or a relatives house for a few months if you are lucky. Having your own cot to sleep on would be nice but for the life of me I can't figure out how anyone would figure a firearm would do any good at all. Of course I'd take mine along in such a case but I'd not be counting on it to get me anything I'd need to live on. I believe that would fall into a category referred to as live by the gun die by the gun. Your firearms will be taken from you for safe keeping upon arrival at a shelter. Unless you plan on eating bugs and tree bark.

Here in Central Illinois they have been building new fire stations in all the small towns. They would hold many cots and we'd do our best to feed everyone who was a refugee. You need to consider that if you are forced out of a city so will millions of others. For the most part people will not suddenly turn into animals.

I'm on the edge of the New Madrid Fault hurt zone. Close enough that I carry earth quake insurance and I despise insurance companies. But our water and sewer is not in danger so the effected people will fall upon us first. NO one will need a gun to have a meal or a cot.

Way I figure if the ballyhooed SHTF race war or whatever does come about for every round I fire I'll get some idiots gun and all his ammo. Or he will get mine if I miss. Chance of me being hit by a meteor from space are higher.

Living in farm country and growing up in agriculture I'll tell you all city folk right now that what you need to worry about is a simple crop failure. It will happen sooner or later. Take your pick as to if it will be this year or in fifty years. You need a few months worth of food in house. If you are nervous a two year supply would be cushy. Anyone on the is forum probably has plenty of guns to keep the neighbors honest. Thinking the rural area will be a land of plenty is to ignore history for the last five thousand years. Just in case any of you have never learned to read. Armies are sent by kings out into the country side to gather food for the cities while the peasants are either left to starve or simply put to the sword. You can modernize that old story but nothing will actually change. You may see that as a positive or a negative. depending upon where you live. But I can about guarantee if we start to starve it will not matter if you are in the city or rural. We'll all go hungry together.

MT Gianni
05-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Some of that will be the confusion of the troops in what is food? How do you harvest it by hand and recognize it when you have never cooked with raw wheat before.

clodhopper
05-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Bugged out 39 years ago.

exile
05-31-2010, 06:28 AM
As far as books go, how about "Tunnel in the Sky" by Robert Heinlein. I just read "Nowhere to Run" by C.J. Box. Not an "end of the world" scenerio, but I think most here would like it. Based on "Tunnel in the Sky" it seems best to keep a low profile and be very quiet.

exile

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2010, 06:33 AM
Ive got enough ammo loaded to keep me and a few more going for a good long time.

rhead
05-31-2010, 07:01 AM
You need to store your reloading equipment in your cabin at your bugout location along with your food stores and water supplies. Then you need to get yourself and your family their, preferably 5 or 10 years before the fan gets dirty. You will need to be establishing your credentials with your neighbors. Also it takes at least that long to go from wilderness to viable agriculture. Anyone thinking of feeding a family by hunting when half the cities are out in the boonies also will only be proving that Darwin was right. 10 or 20 miles away is still a neighbor. If you just show up after the event with just what will fit in a truck you will be likely turned away or shot unless you can prove that you have skills valuable to the community. They will not have the resources to take on more dependents.

Heavy lead
05-31-2010, 07:22 AM
It's simple here, I'm going nowhere, I'll play Alamo first. I'm slightly prepared, but I'm more inclined to think that the human race is turning the corner here pretty quick, I'm seeing some good positive signs out there.
Either way, like Wayne posted, I'm not worried, life's too darn short. The comet could come tomorrow and it wouldn't matter what the heck any human did. Until then we gotta get this country headed back toward the right direction. The system we have is much more inclined to listen right now than the average person realizes, but you have to get active, that means more than just voting, conservative types usually don't want this, but you have to pester, write, call and get organized. I'm not going into details, but the fin reg. we've been going through right now we've been very vocally active with reps and senators (both our senator's are liberal's too, never voted for either), but with some common sense talk and enough badgering we we able to get at least one to hear us and understand and get a very terrible provision (risk retention which would have killed every community and regional bank out there and left only the big 4) pulled from the bill.
So don't give up yet, it's time to fight politically, even though it turns my stomach.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2010, 07:40 PM
I agree, a bunch of my loading/casting stuff would get heavy quickly . . .

My old Benz doesn't need electricity to run or even start (if you push it!):smile:

I would prefer a 44 mag lever carbine over the 30/30 as it hold more ammo, makes a big hole, and is good for up to 100 yards, and a you already have a 30/06 for more power/range. (carry a 44 mag handgun instead of the 357 mag)

I'm trying to get up a years worth of food . . . only have about 5 months now . . . also have whole grains stored and a manual grain grinder (country living)

I think that if your gonna keep off people, you need a bunch of people, a group of people with a common interest, who have varied skills, but only two people will get real old pulling guard duty . . . and even with the "defenders advantage" of 3 to 1 five people surounding you is gonna give you gray hairs quickly . . . if you survive for it to grow out! Our church has a large camp, and most of our members have enough guns and know how to use them . . . but you can't just put in a garden and expect food in a few weeks!

I also like (and have) a couple AK47's with lots of ammo, but I'm not carrying cases of ammo on my back!

Planning ahead is the best plan, I bought some wild edible books, and old army survival books, carry a first aid kit, and because of my job at the school I have to take refresher courses on first aid and cpr.

MT Gianni
05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Be I was under the impression that the Benz's even form the early 60's took battery power to the fuel solenoid and used a key shut off rather than a fuel off valve.

Bob Krack
05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Lots of good comments here. In my humble opinion, loaded ammo would be much more valuable in a "bug-out" situation - that is - unless you are just "running away" with no place to go. If that is the case, I'm a thinkin it probaly doesn't matter no how.

If ya decide to include reloading equipment in your "mobile" location, the Lee powder scoops, the Lee or Lyman hand press (nutcracker type) and some projectiles might just be the way to go.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Be I was under the impression that the Benz's even form the early 60's took battery power to the fuel solenoid and used a key shut off rather than a fuel off valve.

Maybe on the gassers, but the diesels don't . . . you can remove the battery and they will continue to run, they use vacuum to shut of the fuel, and if that doesn't work, there is a lever to push . . . mine is a 1982!

Of course if it were too cold out . . . one would want a battery to run the glow plugs . . . but . . . and emp shouldn't effect a wet battery . . .

I always keep the buses at school full of diesel, as a emergency supply of diesel if things got real bad . . . !

Charlie Sometimes
05-31-2010, 11:22 PM
........ I bought some wild edible books ........

I thought all of those were domesticated years ago.
How long do those keep, and how do they taste? :lol: :kidding:

Don't forget a copy of THE GOOD BOOK in your inventory, either.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I thought all of those were domesticated years ago.
How long do those keep, and how do they taste? :lol: :kidding:

Don't forget a copy of THE GOOD BOOK in your inventory, either.

Well, if you keep them dry and on the shelf, they will last a real long time, there not as tough as shoe leather, and if cooked in a dutch oven all day they really are quite tasty, if your real hungry!;) But seriously, "The tumbleweed gourmet" is a good book for those living in a desert location, it tells how and when to harvest, and prepare foods to eat! I'm hoping to use my grain grinder to grind mesquite beans into flour. and bake with it!

I have my Bible, which is my spiritual food!

The Army FM 21-76 "Survival Evasion & Escape" is also a good book to have in your bug out bag!

Charlie Sometimes
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
You touch on a good point. Every region/area is different- you can dry most of your food easy out in the arid regions, but where it is humid, the processes are different! Winter will freeze it, but summer won't cook it- lot's of special conditions to think about for those who want to store food reserves or consider "bugging out". How far will you go, are you familar with the conditions, and if not, can you adapt without perishing before the mobs get you?

Books are intended for learning PRIOR to application of the knowledge, not when you are in a jam and need to know NOW. Learn it when the pressure is not on NOW, and pass it on to someone else later- physically and verbally. That will be the difference in surviving. There is a preparation period needed for most everything. Being ready means using that advanced warning period. If it never happens, then you are better off either way.