PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman 61 for $100 deal or pass? opinions? Good pot to get started casting?

Ziptar
05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
After much lurking, reading, and planning I am working on getting a good starter setup for casting together. While I am trying to keep cost to a minimum I don't want to just buy junk because it's cheap, and I don't need to start out with the biggest, coolest, most expensive thing either.

To that end I've had my eye out for used equipment as well.

I've got a line on a Lyman 61 the seller is asking $100 for, the pictures look like it's in good shape. I am having a hard time digging up the specs, particularly the capacity.

http://www.ziptar.com/Lyman_61/lyman_61_2.jpg
http://www.ziptar.com/Lyman_61/lyman_61_1.jpg

I am on the fence as to the price also. Cabela's has the Lyman Big Dipper 10lb for $39.99 and the Lee Production 10lb Pot for $59.99, and the Waage Pot can be had for $140.00. Makes the $100 price for a ~30 year old furnace seem like a bit of a steep premium, unless of course the construction and function are heads and shoulders above what it offered today.

Deal or Pass??

oneokie
05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
The capacity is 10 lbs. Basicly the same as the Saeco #24.

Ziptar
05-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks!

Bret4207
05-29-2010, 08:13 AM
That's about what they'd be worth new if they still made them and were priced realistically. It's only a 10 lb pot. Were it me and were I going to spend that kind of money on a pot (I wouldn't) and if I didn't have some insane desire for a BP I'd save up another $40. and get the Waage.

Ziptar
05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Well.. I went this morning to look it over.

I don't believe it had ever been used out side of 7-8 "droplets" of lead in the bottom almost as if someone had melted several lead shot sinkers to test it out. I couldn't find the slightest hint of lead or slag on the sides of the pot or the spout. Basically it looks brand new with the exception of some dust and light surface rust in spots. The seller plugged it into a digital amp meter and it was drawing 992 watts, it heated up enough to melt the lead drops in the bottom.

I liked that it was in good shape, still had the user manual, was 1000 watts, and looked as if just about every part could be had a local hardware store or appliance repair shop.

I asked if he was open to offers, he asked what I had in mind. I offered $75.

It came home with me. :)

The picture on the front of the manual shows an optional "Mold Guide". My guess is they are like hen's teeth. From the looks of it, I can fab one from some angled aluminum stock.

I am picking up some lead next week from a local club that is cleaning out their traps. If I can get a ladle, mold, and some flux ordered and delivered I may well be casting next weekend.

Thanks for the input on my first post, I am sure there will be more. :)

RP
05-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I have one and three lees I give the all the lees for one in that shape without a thought. Been using mine for years had to repair it (wireing) serval times but its a keeper. Its going to be a sad day when I cant fix it anymore dont think i toss it when it not repairable anymore since its been such a good soldier most likely make it a place on the shelf for the years of good service its provided.

HeavyMetal
05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I think the Lyman 51 came with the mold guide, at least everyone I've seen in the "flesh" has had one including the one I have.

The price you paid was good, 100 was to much.

Can't really tell from the picture but the base, and the mold guide, may have been replaced at one time. The base on mine, and several others I've seen, are all cast and say Lyman on them.

If done right the base is as good as the original so I wouldn't sweat it.

Some thing to watch: the electric plug where it goes into the pot. Lots of heat right there and the plugs have a tendency to "cook" themselves to death.

Good news is I can buy a replacement, and I have twice in 20 years, at any good hardware store, it's the same set up used on any of the electric griddles or frying pans that get sold around Xmas!

You spoke of a mold guide. Might I suggest a simple roller device? Basically it looks like a saw horse in miniature. The "cross beam" would be 1/4 inch rod with a 3/8's diameter "roller" mounted externally.

Set under the pour spout you'd adjust height for the specific mold being used and then push / pull to fill cavities.

Real nice for 6 banger and bigger molds.

montana_charlie
05-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Being in unused condition, it may well have been worth $100...or more.
Not being collectors (you or me) $75 seems fair.

The base on mine looks like yours, but I don't know how old mine is...I bought it used in 1976.

I think those mould guides are still made...or were up until fairly recently. I've seen them on furnaces, but I can't remember which brand. It may have been on one (or more) of the relatively recent Lyman pots.
As a matter of fact, the guide on the current Lyman Mag 20 looks a lot like it...
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mag-20-furnace.php

And...Midway sells it...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=868073

CM

jhrosier
05-29-2010, 08:12 PM
$75 is a decent price for a model 61 pot.
Be aware that Lyman can no longer supply parts for it though.
I have one and it works just fine for me.
I bought an even older Saeco pot from a fellow for $40 a year or so ago and was glad to get it.
The thermostat is dead so it only runs wide open.
Good enough for melting range scrap though.

I made a riser from a couple of old pipe tobacco tins taped together to hold my moulds at the right height.

Jack

Ziptar
05-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Excellent info, thank you all! I've been doing some searching here and on Google as well.

montana_charlie: The base plate is flat extruded aluminum, it looks factory, perhaps they changed from cast to aluminum at some point. Thanks for the link to the mold guide, I read the reviews on Midway, seems it doesn't work well with molds other than Lyman. I plan on using a Lee 6 cavity, I'll guess I'll put some thought into an alternative maybe the roller device that HeavyMetal suggested.

HeavyMetal: thanks for roller riser idea and the tip on the cord, I'll keep an eye out when I go to the hardware store and pickup and spare when I see one.

jhrosier: I read up on couple of threads here, while Lyman doesn't supply the parts allot can be had from off the shelf parts. Speaking of thermostats, this thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55431) has a link to where you can get a replacement. I found a similar Thermost made by another company as well, Bilbee Model B-200 (http://www.bilbeecontrols.com/B200-page1.html) There is also link in that thread also showing how to make a replacement element (http://pages.suddenlink.net/abittner/). That was part of why I decided to buy it, it looked like it was made from off the shelf parts that are easily replaceable and user serviceable, unlike most things made nowadays in the age of Walmart.

That being said I hope I don't need any replacement parts for a long while based on it's condition. :grin:

I tried the pot out yesterday afternoon, I tossed in several old sinkers of various weights and they we molten in about 10 minutes, the spout works and doesn't leak.

All in all, while I could have bought a new pot cheaper versus getting this one for for $75, I am completely happy with the purchase of the old Lyman, I have no doubt I'll get years of use out of it. This old Lyman just has a rough simplicity to it yet seems solid and reliable in a Sherman Tank or Mosin Nagant kind of way.

I'd like to know what you guys think about this idea that popped into my head yesterday.

I was thinking about how to keep it from rusting over the years. Years ago, I used to know a blacksmith did a fair bit of business making equipment for a small company that would travel around the country doing those Medieval and Renaissance fairs and put on jousting matches. He used to make armor, helmets, and what not. In order to get a period correct finish and protect against rust he would coat the pieces in Non Detergent 30W Motor Oil and bake them at high heat several times. Seemed to work well and left thick tough brownish coating like you'd see on an old well used cookie sheet.

I am wondering if by wiping the pot down with some non detergent 30W or 3 in 1 oil every so often would be good for the outside of the pot to keep it from rusting? Sure it would smoke for a bit when it fired up but, I plan on casting outdoors anyway. I could just let it burn off before starting casting.

Bad idea?

HeavyMetal
05-30-2010, 01:06 PM
My old 61 gets plenty hot on the outside!

Hot enough that I don't think your oil idea will stay put, but it might. Bear in mind your guy mostly likely baked his goods at 375 to 400 degrees, I'll bet my pot gets as hot outside as inside!

I've had enough casting equipment over the years to know that no matter how you store a pot if it's not aluminum it's gonna rust same as the ladles and anything else that gets hot enough to burn off the oil.

However if you try this let us know how it works. I'm always curious.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-03-2010, 12:44 AM
I have a couple of Saecos that started out back in the day and they are still running well. I sprayed the outsides with Rustoleum Stove and BBQ black...its available in hardware stores, Ace etc, Walmart, Loews etc. Its marked 1200 degree heat resistant. Works fine and no rust anywhere. After use when the pot cools off, a wipe with some oil on a rag on all the exposed cast iron will also keep the rust from starting. Smells a bit when fired up again but that goes away. The old Lymans and the Saecos were made by the same source and they were well made units certainly worth rebuilding/restoring if necessary. LLS

Echo
06-08-2010, 01:50 AM
I think you got a bargain. I made a stage from a couple pieces of 1x2 and screwed it to the bottom, from the bottom, to get the mold up where I wanted them.

NHPaul
04-26-2014, 11:00 PM
I bought one in nice shape for $75 locally. It is the nicest pot I have seen for casting with. I would have gladly paid 150 for a new one. very well made and works perfect.

Minerat
06-05-2014, 09:56 AM
I had one given to me yesterday and in doing research on it found this thread. Again another great save by the knowledgeable members sharing their experience. The ol' Internet search was not going well. Thanks you all.