PDA

View Full Version : bees wax question

XWrench3
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
i was just on ebay, and noticed something called DARK BEES WAX. for bullet lube, is there a difference in lubrication properties? it is about 1/2 the price of regular wax.

Doby45
05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Exact same stuff, just comes from a comb that holds a darker honey. It would only be cheaper due to looks. Lots of bees wax is purchased for candles and the lighter the wax the easier it is to color.

Blammer
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Yep, still good stuff, I'd get it if you need some, since it's cheap.

357maximum
05-27-2010, 11:44 PM
I have used cappings grade that was light yellow, cappings grade that was quite yellow, dark yellowish bronze from a mix of cappings and recycled hives, brown,black, and almost green from 100% recycled hives. At one time I thought it made a difference in the shooting but testing proved otherwise. The only time I worry about color now is when I am worried about color in the final lube. The last block I bought from my old supplier had set in a window sill for several years and was almost colorless........still worked.

prs
05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Up until about 5 years ago I had kpet honey bees for many years. True and actual cappings grade wax is a rather small portion of the wax that a good honey collecter will process. The cappings are not singificantly influenced by the color of the honey and are very light yellow/white. If the processor cut off too much comb with the cappings, then the color darkens. What you for sure DO NOT want for boolit lube is rendered down old comb that will have lots of propolis in it. Propolis is a glue like tar consistency product the bees collect and reinforce and protect the hive with. WOuld be like adding pine tar to your lube. By clean light wax from a reliable source.

prs

randyrat
05-28-2010, 10:13 PM
There are ways to seperate the propolis from the darker scrappings and filter it. Also propolis is worth it's weight in gold. Keep things clean and use it, good for your health.
It will give you the skidders for a couple days LOL ,but your body will get used to it shortly, providing you don't use too much too soon.
Tip.... wax floats propolis sinks in water. You have to break the hive material up in small peices in order to use this method.