PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior with the 41 Long Colt again.....

Harry O
05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Maybe someone will be able to explain this to me. I have a number of bullets for the 41LC that range from 175gr to 218gr. I did a test recently with the lightest and the heaviest bullets with magnum and standard primers. Both used black powder.

I did not check the accuracy of one bullet against the other. They are completely different and have different accuracy limits. The test was each bullet against itself with the two different primers.

The magnum primer had the edge on accuracy with the lighter bullet, but the difference between magnum and standard primers was small. The standard primer had the edge in accuracy with the heavier bullet, and the difference was larger between the magnum and the standard.

I don't know the reason for this (or if it is a general rule), but I know which one I am going to use with which in the future.

I have tested .375 / 38-55 cartridges and also 45-70 cartridges, and the magnum primer gives better accuracy than standard in both. I only tested it with one weight bullet each, though.

felix
05-27-2010, 08:34 AM
The primer and powder cannot be seperated because BOTH together determine the projectile's acceleration pattern. In other words, there are many combinations that can produce the same statistical accuracy results at the target, most especially at pistol range. In addition, many combinations are drastically affected by differences involving initial projectile resistance when the projectile is still within the case. ... felix

In other words, close but no cigar. ... felix

Harry O
05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I guess I did not explain myself very well. Both in this test used the same black powder. The previous tests in the rifle cartridges also were with black powder. It is often suggested that we should use magnum primers with black powder cartridges (for several reasons). Rather than just take what has been published, I tested both types of primers. In most cases, magnum primers have been better with black powder. However, not in this case.

Bass Ackward
05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Watch your conclusions. Primers are weird. And that is why I laugh at blanket statements about primers.

If you ever read studies on primer comparisons or conduct them yourself, you will be flabbergasted at the results. And the results fluctuate all the time. The results are different with different firing pin strike levels and depths. Somebody gets a different batch and they read what you observed and they wonder if you even know what you are doing.

Just because a primer is listed as a "Magnum" from one manufacturer doesn't mean that it is any hotter than a "standard" primer from another company. It simply means that "most of the time" that "magnum" primer is hotter than that same company's "standard" primer.

About 10 years ago, standard CCI, large rifle primers tested out to be hotter than Fed215s that are supposed to be the hottest things on the planet. They aren't today. At least comparing the the batches I have on hand now. Handgun primers are generally closer and more consistent from primer to primer and batch to batch because they are used in smaller case capacities, which is why I use them for my cast rifle loads.

You have to test all the time to actually know. The worst trap is to "think" that you know. Or that you trust the label on the box. Or read in some blog or magazine.

JIMinPHX
05-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't load that cartridge myself, but a guy at a gun show once told me that hollow base boolits were the way to go & they were real sensitive to getting the powder charge just right.

StrawHat
05-28-2010, 06:25 AM
HarryO,

I use black powder in most of my reloading, only a few cartridges get smokeless. I started with Magnum primers, it was what was recommended by Steve Garbe (if I remember it right) and was happy. Then I ran out so loaded some 45-70 rounds with "standard" primers and accuracy actually improved a bit, with that rifle and load recipe. Now I read about fellows experimenting with wads of paper over the primers to reduce the "shock" impartred to the powder or some such. It seems like the cycle is leaning toward a lighter ignition source where once it was as much flame as possible. I tend to believe the old adage about each firearm is a bit different and has it's own likes and dislikes. (I also gave up trying to squeeze the last .000000 inch of accuracy out of my firearms and am once again just enjoying getting out and going shooting. But that is a different story.)

Not sure why one primer would be better with a different weight bullet than another but I do know I get better powder consumption with heavier bullets over black powder.

Good Luck!

Harry O
05-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. I guess I did not find a new revelation. It was just one of those "every gun is different" things -- and so are powders and so are primers, etc. Anyway, now I know for this particular combination.