PDA

View Full Version : Cast vs Jacketed in Old Original Colt 45

Ed Gallop
05-27-2010, 07:03 AM
I cast #2 Alloy for my 30-30 Winchester but they were like shooting a 22 cal in comparison to jacketed with the same powder charge and book charts. I determined the lead didn't create enough resistance to build sufficient pressure so cast Lino with 16 to 18 BHN. At that hardness I couldn't tell the difference between the lead and jacketed. My friend obtained a very nice original Colt 45 and bought 500 rounds of jacketed amo. My concern is that the originals were made for lead and the increased pressure may be harmful for the 45. Like to hear opinions. Ed.

AzShooter
05-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Save the jacketed.

Instead of Linotype, water quench your boolits when casting. That should bring the wheel weight BHN up to 22.

mroliver77
05-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Not sure what you mean by original. What year? Personally I would not shoot jacketed through a BP era gun. Not so much the pressure as the barrel wear.Any gun that old should be treated with kid gloves.
Jay

MT Gianni
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Ed re your 30-30, what did you size to and did you slug the bbl? I do OK with air cooled ww in mine. I also do fine with ACWW in the 45's.

Char-Gar
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Ed.. You dont give enough information for anybody to give any kind of reasoned response. However, if I read you right, the shift from No. 2 to Linotype in your 30-30 made some kind of significant difference you can feel in velocity and or pressure. Do I have that right?

If I do have that right, it is crapola. There is no way a shift from a 15 bhn alloy to a 22 bhn alloy will do much of anything to pressure. Any difference will be slight indeed. YOu need to go back to the drawing board with your facts as you have reached the wrong conclusion.

StarMetal
05-27-2010, 11:29 AM
.....and 500 rounds of jacketed isn't going to wear your barrel out. The guys are right don't shoot pure lino, it's a waste and not needed, use it for blending .... like pure lead or another alloy.

MtGun44
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
If you are talking about a pre-1900 era handgun, the barrel steel may be pretty soft and
I'd avoid using jacketed in one. Anything from approx 1930s on will be just fine. Between those
dates it will depend on the individual manufacturer, good steel alloys were available then, but
not always used.

Bill

Ed Gallop
05-28-2010, 07:11 AM
My point in the question was if factory jacketed amo was okay in an original Colt 45. A friend, living in Norfolk, VA (250 miles away) bought an original and wanted me to reload for the Colt. He bought 500 rounds of factory jacketed but I left word for him not to shoot them until he hears from me because the Colt was likely not made for that chamber pressure. I haven't seen his Colt and this is all I know. I'm certainly not an authority so asked you for opinions, and received the info I was after. Thanks very much. As for the Winchester 30-30...

I just removed the cast lead bullet from the same box I used nearly a year ago (test bullet #1). I also have some of the jacketed I used to compare with (test bullet #2). I compared the Linotype (test bullet #3) last weekend. I tested the BHN this morning. When I reload I always weigh every bullet and every powder load. Why? Some say I'm anal but I just like doing it.

#1 is a 153 gr BHN 10.1 (not #2 alloy) loaded with 33.4 gr IMR 4064. There was noticeably much less energy than #2 bullet. Maybe not as low as a 22 but somewhere in between. I should test with my Chrony to know how much less.

#2 is a 150 gr. jacketed FN loaded with 31 gr. of IMR 4895.

#3 is a 147 gr BHN 20 Linotype with 30 gr IMR 4064. I couldn't tell the difference between it and the jacketed in accuracy or energy. Again, I should Chrony test.

I appreciate everyone's response. Ed.

Ed Gallop
05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Forgot to respond to the post.

AzShooter: I cast only 40 Lino 30-30 and didn't plan to do it again. I have nearly a couple hundred pounds of it but want it to last. Knew water quenching WW would make them harder but didn't know it would be that hard. Thanks.

Jay: I haven't seen the Colt 45 so don't know the date it was manufactured. If I had the Colt I doubt I'd shoot it much, and if I did, I'd use pure lead with less than maximum loads.

MTGianni: I purchased the Winchester Model 94 over 30 years ago. Never slugged the barrel but use a Lee .309 cast.

Chargar: I will use a Chrony with the three test bullets as soon as I get a chance. I wouldn't have thought even a BHN 10 to BHN 20 would make that much difference. I'll get to the bottom of it.

StarMetal: My concern, more than wear, was if the pressure would cause barrel twist or other damage.

Many thanks to all. I'll post here after I Chrony test. Ed.

prs
05-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Beyond metalurgy, the old 45 Colts were .454 and not .452. Not sure if the copper condom pills are harmful or not.

prs

mroliver77
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Beyond metalurgy, the old 45 Colts were .454 and not .452. Not sure if the copper condom pills are harmful or not.

prs
Actually it should create less pressure with the smaller bullets. The factory loaded .45 Colt rounds are pretty anemic unless it is a specialty loading. "Old original" could mean anything from 1870's - 1970's to some. I still wouldn't shoot jacketed in a pre 1900 Colt.
Jay