PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Lube

calaverasslim
08-04-2006, 10:56 AM
For a number of years I used Alox lube for bullets but got tired of having to wait until it warmed up later in the day to size/lube cast bullets. Bought a heater by Lyman and swapped over. Used Lyman ugly orange lube for a while and wanted to try the red stuff. The only red I could find was the Red Rooster Zambini. :evil: Boy was that a mistook.... :holysheep ... Found out the melt point on Zambini is 220 degrees and the Lyman goes to 140. I have learned the meaning of patience. :mrgreen:

Well, finally the red is gone, but I just know there is another red out there with a melt point of somewhere around 140.

Somewhere...........:)

anyone? [smilie=1:

475/480
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I think Lar45 has red lube that has a lower melting point and is good lube.I dont remember his website.

Sean

Hip's Ax
08-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Another vote for checking with Lar45, here's his website. Either that or whip up some Felix Lube and make it the way you want it!

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

30yrcaster
08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Just a thought on your quest for lube that flows at a lower temp. If you are lubing pistol bullets and want to dump them in a box, the softer lubes will stick to each other and when you pull them apart, you'll also pull much of the lube out of the groove. I used to ask all the cigar smokers to save boxes fror me and I had to stack all the bullets next to each other without touching.

I used to get Tamarak lube by the case but they only offered the soft alox version at the time. The harder lubes costed way too much.

GP100man
08-04-2006, 11:50 PM
a+ for lar45 red caranuba works good between 95F & 110F any warmer & it gets a little too loose, but ive always been heavy handed after red rooster!

Bucks Owin
08-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I'll throw my hat in for Lar45's Carnuba Red too....

Dennis

abunaitoo
08-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Anyone have any luck contacting Glenn????? Need to order some lube, but had some question. Haven't gotten any replies from him.

steveb
08-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Haven't gotten any replies from him.

Me neither,I sent him a message and havent heard anything from him...Steve.

klausg
08-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Anyone have any luck contacting Glenn?????

Last contact I had with him was mid-July, he mentioned back difficulties. Hope he is okay.

abunaitoo
08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
I hope he's all right. Also hope his wife is ok. Never met them in person, but they seem like really nice people.

357maximum
08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Glenn will get back with you eventually, he is one person trying to fill alot of orders, and doing so with an injured body, in your correspondence with him make sure you title the message something like "I want to order" or " Lube questions and order info" , he seems to have a little trouble tending to all the orders and questions, but his product (carnuba red) is well worth the wait/effort . You cannot beat the price either. Due to medications he is sleeping in odd shifts the last time I talked to him, he will get to you, in time.

Michael

David R
08-15-2006, 10:38 PM
It will be worth the wait. If you would like a stick, I will send one. PM me your addy. I buy 10 or 20 at a time.

David

robertbank
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM
I made up a batch of Felix lube that I am happy with. To store my bullets I use 9MM foam inserts that come with the ammo. For .45acp I use .45acp inserts. Sure keeps the bullets apart and the inserts stack really well. Use the 9MM for rifle bulelts as well.

I have used Jake's Lube contact: jhilde@aol.com out of Illonois both Scarlet and Purple with good results. 20 sticks for $28. + $4.00 shipping. Both soften nicely with a Lyman Heater. I couldn't detect any difference between the scarlet and red but I am sure there is some.

Take Care

Bob

Cherokee
08-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I have been using Thompson Red for many years and am happy with it. My Star w/heater and Lyman 4500 both heat it to flow fine. Available from Midway or direct as I do it. That said, I am going to try some Lar45 the next time I need some.

rmb721
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I recently got an order from Glenn Larsen (Lar45). It took about a week longer than before. I think he is really busy. He has great products at very reasonable prices. His carnauba red takes very little heat. Works great.

RugerFan
08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I have used Jake's Lube contact: jhilde@aol.com out of Illonois both Scarlet and Purple with good results. 20 sticks for $28. + $4.00 shipping. Both soften nicely with a Lyman Heater. I couldn't detect any difference between the scarlet and red but I am sure there is some.

Bob

I have used Jake's "Red Ceresin" and it worked very well for me. It's on the hard side and I must turn my Midway heater up most of the way (not sure of the temp).

kodiak1
08-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Liked Jakes Red and Purple had a little trouble with the blue. Still haven't tried Lars45 Carnuba Red but have used his 50/50 Alox and his Black Powder Stuff and it is good will be putting in an order for some of that and will get some Red from him too.
Ken.

calaverasslim
08-18-2006, 08:38 AM
I bought some from Lar45 on eBay. buy it now system. I am know on ebay as pistoleer-45 and am waiting to get the red. Got about 1200 just begging to get lubed. Fixin to fire up the pot pretty soon so have more soon.

seagiant
08-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi Cal,
I can't ever let a discussion on bullet lubes go by without telling folks about the lube I make now from a Glenn Fryxell recipe. It's easy fast and I've never experienced any leading what so ever. That being 50% grade A beeswax,50% Moly Automotive Grease and put in pariffin to taste! It,s a little soft for FL in the summer but the addition of a little parrifin hardens it up nice and is very adjustable.
For about $20 I;ve got enough lube to last me for years and like the bullet and cartridge I shoot, I made it myself! Good Luck!

robertbank
08-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Probably the Canuck in me but can you add a little to your instructions for that lube. I got the 50 50 part. I assume you melt the beeswax first then add grease and parifin was as desired. Close?

Take Care

Bob

lar45
08-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Hi all, yes I am running behind, but still running.
Send me a PM here with your address and I can send you a sample of lube to try(specify which one you want). I'll even send a free sample to Australia. Try some, you'll like it.
(If you really do need the lube to melt at 140 F, I should be able to do that, but it may not shoot to as high of velocity. Should be able to get 2500fps easily)

The Carnauba Red melts at 153 F. Flows well around 90-100 F.(I have a long metal plate under the luber and sit a thrift store Iron on it. Read $3.50 heater.) It has some tremendous adhesion properties to it. It will not pull out of a lube groove when cooled to room temp. lay a boolit on an anvil and smack it with a hammer, the lube will stay put. IT is a semi-hard lube and is pliable not brittle. I have shot it to 2700fps with the Fat30 in my 06 with very little effort. water dropped WW and sized to .313"

Sometimes I do need extra reminders. The wife is running the paperwork for me and we should be all caught up by this weekend. That includes shipments to Sweden, Slovakia, Canada and Denmark(should be there next week).

Thanks guys.
Glenn.

rmb721
08-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Lar45. I use the same type of heater. I have a 4"x12" piece of 1/4" aluminum on top of a 4"x4" piece that is against the bench. The sizer is mounted on top of both. I set clothes iron on low. Works great with carnauba red.

seagiant
08-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Robert,
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'll do it this way: Take one pound of beeswax,one lb. of moly automotive grease,and melt in your pan together. Then add 2or3 small chunks of parrifin. This is where you have to play with it and see how hard you like your lube but keep up with what you do because one day you will want some more. I keep a notebook on my bench and put info in on different aspects in my reloading. Hope this helps,when you read one of Mr. Fryxells articles and it shows pics of lubed bullets with a black colored lube this is it! One thing thats funny is I bought some Lyman Moly bullet lube years ago and really didn't care for it, but love this stuff. Go figure!

One thing else if you add to much pariffin just remelt and add equal parts beeswax and the moly grease and that will soften it up some. If you still have it to soft after you make it, just warm it up again and add some more pariffin. Good luck!

44man
08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Lar 45 makes some of the best lubes going. His prices are great but you just have to give him a little time. He is busy and is hurting. He is one hell of a nice guy so don't rush him.

GP100man
09-09-2006, 12:39 AM
lars45 redcaranuba is what i use ive peeled boolits from pushing to hard, but havent smeared a barrel since . i use eds red solvent &three patches & barrel &chambers clean i have stainless steel guns but one & flitz the carbon rings off the ss ones . its worth the $ & wait!!