PDA

View Full Version : Old NOOB

gunsablazin
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I quit casting and sold my casting stuff 20 yrs. ago, but am about to start back again. I am looking to get a 20 lb Lee pot and a TL mold for .45 230 RN to start, I'm hoping to avoid the sizing process. I load on a Dillon 550 and use the last station for a LEE factory crimp die, I would think that would effectively size the bullets anyway. I have been lurking here for a week or so, and have read some of the stickies on tumble lube mixes etc. I've smelted some range lead mixed with linotype metal to get started with, and it looks pretty good. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, my primary use for the boolits will be blasting card board at IDPA matches and practice. Anybody see anything I'm overlooking? I've really enjoyed the forum so far, the folks and info here seem first rate!

Thanks,

Robin

mroliver77
05-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Hopefully the TL mold drops at .452 or darn close. The Lee Factory crimp can size the case an boolit down and the case will spring back leaving a poorly seated boolit. If boolit needs touched up a Lee sizer die that fits your press will round them up and catch any large ones from handles not closed tight etc.
BTW welcome to the forum.
Jay

fryboy
05-26-2010, 01:56 PM
+1 on the lee overcrimping and sizing the boolit too small ..the lee size die is about cheap enough ( and comes with a lil bottle of lube that if mixed 45/45/10 erm lee liquid alox/johnsons paste wax/mineral spirits ) goes a long long ways ( umm ur gonna need lube anyways lolz ) the harder the alloy the bigger the boolits will be , i havent tried the boolit u speak of only the 358 tl one , with my alloys it seems the last band always comes out a bit large and the sizing die fixes that but barely kisses the rest of the boolit ,the push thru part is about sweet and easy too

Bass Ackward
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Anybody see anything I'm overlooking? Robin

Logic sounds good. But there is always something that will go wrong to bring ya back.

See, it's the curse of this board. Kinda like that song Hotel Californie.

Good Luck! Talk to you later. [smilie=s:

chris in va
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
My Lee TL 230 RN mold drops right at 452 and I don't have to size it. I just use a little Lee Alox and it shoots great in my Sig. No need to use a crimp on 45 either, just the FCD if you want to be sure they chamber.

ghh3rd
05-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow... your first post! Posts: 1 Welcome to the forum. This is the place to get answers, for sure.

gunsablazin
05-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm getting my Lee pot and mold next week, I'll be back with stupid questions after that! I enjoyed casting in the days of my youth, then I discovered that girls DON'T have cooties, lost interest in anything else for two decades.....

MtGun44
05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Of course girls have cooties! Cooties are really FUN!

Bill