PDA

View Full Version : 30 seconds on the spin cycle--Hoo Ra

gray wolf
05-25-2010, 06:41 PM
I read a post the other day about Lementing a mold.
A brother caster named Ben directed us to a post he had done about spinning a bullet in the mold with some polishing agent on it. I had read about this before but this time it sunk in a little better.
I remembered that I had an old iron mold that I hated and never used because it would eat sprue plate knockers for breakfast.
TAP__TAP___TAP-----bang----smash---%$#@&*%$# slam on the ground
trying to get the bullets out. I wouldn't even give this mold away--I just didn't have anyone I didn't like that much.
So I figured --HEY--what can I loose Eh.---So I marked the center of a bullet
using the mark that the sprue made as a guide. I got it as close to center as I could. Drilled it out and got a screw into it. The screw had a head on it that would let me use a socket on it--So I did not have to cut the head off. I made up two.
All I had was a little J B bore paste, so that's what I used. I spun each bullet for about 30 seconds, slowly closing the mold on them. The mold and the screw spun a little off center, so I held the drill and the mold with a loose hand and let them
move in my hand ( no death grip )
One bullet for each hole.
Long story long, I tried the mold and WOW I couldn't believe the difference.
One little tap on the handle hinge bolt was all it took to drop the bullets.
I cleaned and oiled the mold and put it away. someday I may have a pistol for it.
But the fact is it worked and it was easy to do.
Anyone with a sticky mold should look into doing this.
Read up on it first and plan your moves.
Once again I thank the forum and everyone in it.

Never to old to learn
Sam

chris in va
05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Yup, recently did it with my 358 and 45acp molds, works great. Now it's just a light rap with the stick and they're out.

Bret4207
05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
It does work, no doubt. Just remember this is one of those places where a little goes a long ways. I used to own a Lee mould that bore the proof that you can overdo this.

05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Sam,
Try the Kroil treatment. You may find that boolits FALL out...all by themselves.

sergeant69
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Sam,
Try the Kroil treatment. You may find that boolits FALL out...all by themselves.

PLEASE, tell me about the kroil method. thanks!

fryboy
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
PLEASE, tell me about the kroil method. thanks!

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55260&highlight=kroil+mold

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=82755&highlight=kroil+mold

usually the search feature works great altho the top one is a stikki ;)

qajaq59
05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
I did it to an old and really beat up mold that someone gave me. And then just for laughs I cold blued the mold as well. It came out looking new, and the bullets drop right out. It was for a bullet I normally wouldn't have used, but I worked up a load for it and occasionally load it up with some 2400 just for practice.