PDA

View Full Version : Help needed part stuck case win 94

gerrycan
05-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Hey there,
I,d like some help with job of removing 1/2 inch 375w case neck from the chamber of my94.I found out the hard way not to use thin 38/55 cases. Thanks ,Gerry.

bradh
05-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Gerry try driving a 50 cal bronze brush into the cahamber. Hopefully it will grab the brass case
wall hard, then drive brush and case out from the mussle....let us know how you make out?

excess650
05-25-2010, 06:54 AM
You might try shoving a 30-30 case, or a tapered 38-55 into the remaining brass and try to pull it out with the extractor.

ReloaderFred
05-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Most times, you can use a stiff bore brush to get them out. Just push the brush in from the muzzle like you would cleaning the rifle. It may take a couple of tries, but I've been able to remove a couple that way.

Just don't use anything sharp and hard, as barrel metal is pretty soft.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Larry Gibson
05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
If the brush doesn't take it out (It most often does) then make a cerrosafe casting of the chamber and drive it out. That will remove it for sure.

Larry Gibson

chickenstripe
05-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I've tried all of the above, in the past, with no success. What I've used in the past is a tap just large enough to start to thread into the brass. This effectively grabs the brass, and it can be tapped out from the muzzle end.

Just have to take care in tap selection and guiding it into the brass.

woody1
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
......... and shoot a little good penetrating oil in first. Can't hurt and might help loosen it up. Regards, Woody

hiram
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I got two broken cases out.

1- from the muzzle I pushed in a brush with cleaning patch on it.

2- I sized a new case smaller, don't remember how, must have been with another die, a light coat of epoxy, pushed it in, let it dry, pulled the two pieces out.

StarMetal
05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Hiram,

I was just going to mention that and you beat me too it!!!!! That's a lot less fussier then the cerosafe. Good idea!![smilie=s:

pdawg_shooter
05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
If the brush doesn't take it out (It most often does) then make a cerrosafe casting of the chamber and drive it out. That will remove it for sure.

Larry Gibson

+1 on what Larry said. This has always worked for me. I have seen numerous chambers ruined by people trying to use a tap to remove brass. The over sized bore brush works about 1/2 the time for me. A chamber cast is a never fail IMHE.

Cactus Farmer
05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Electronic freeze spray will srink 'em sometimes, and an old cast boolit driven from the muzzle will catch the front edge of the case too.......sometimes. YMMV

gerrycan
05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys, I suppose some molten lead could be used as in chamber cast[cerrosafe] ?Gerry.

StarMetal
05-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Don't use the molten lead. You may get it somewhere where it will be difficult to remove. Try all the methods posts first.

gerrycan
05-26-2010, 03:15 AM
Star, am down to the cerracote solution,alas,no cerracote.Gerry

Hondo Lane
05-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I use a round wood rasp. Make sure the tip of the rasp is a bit larger than your case neck. Push it in from the chamber end and when you feel it contact the broken case push a bit harder and give it a twist at the same time. Should pull your broken case right out Used to have a .6mm that I was oversizing and blowing the heads off. Worked every time.

Cactus Farmer
05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Gerrycan:Please check your PMs before using hard tools to attemtp a removal.

StarMetal
05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Gerry,

Then try the epoxy case method mentions or if you have taken the rifle apart, that is have the bolt and hammer out of it, use a wood or metal dowel that just slides in with the epoxy on it. Me beginning to think you have rough chamber (or very dirty) that it hasn't come out yet.

Just have patience and go slow, that ways nothing bad will happen like a scratch chamber and it will come out.

gerrycan
05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for your continued support I am currently trialling the resin-fix.Gerry

scrapcan
05-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Also one might try to plug the chamber and fill up past the stuck case with mineral oil. Mineral oil is very effective in penetrating and helping to free brass parts. it seems to really work well with brass. I have not used it with brass and steel frozen parts, but I have used it to free brass on brass.

You can use a small rubber plug or piece of dowel to plug chamber.

beagle
05-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I had one seperate in my .38-55 Number 1 and CH-4D has a stuck case remover for the .38-55. That's what got mine out if all else fails./beagle

gerrycan
05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Beagle,
Thanks for your interest and suggestions, I think I need the stuck case remover[resin didn,t work]. Gerry

Hondo Lane
05-30-2010, 10:01 AM
You could insert a bore brush from the muzzle about 3/4 of the way into the broken case neck. Next use your choice of resin,lead or JB weld if you like and fill the broken case. The bore brush will keep your molten lead or resin or whatever from going down the bore. This should adhere the broken case and brush together and you should be able to push it out with the rod. The heat from the molten lead will cause expansion and contraction and should loosen the stuck case. Don't use an aluminum rod. If pushing doesn't loosen it then unscrew the cleaning rod and find a wooden dowel that fits your bore and give everything a whack from the bore end. If that doesn't work then a trip to gunsmith is in order but they will probably do the same thing. I have two or three guys bring me guns every year with the same problem. Never sent a guy home with a broken rifle.

gerrycan
05-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Hondo,
Thanks for suggestion it is much the same as I was thinking[in combination].I didn,t think that a little warm lead strategically placed would do any harm. Gerry

Hondo Lane
05-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Hondo,
Thanks for suggestion it is much the same as I was thinking[in combination].I didn,t think that a little warm lead strategically placed would do any harm. Gerry

Gunsmiths have done chamber cast for years using molten lead. There are safer alternatives now of course. Molten lead starts to cool as soon as it is poured and the steel in the chamber acts to absorb the heat. The broken cartridge doesn't hold much lead so heating in the chamber is minimal. It is this same heat and cooling that should break the bond between the broken cartridge and the chamber walls.

testhop
05-30-2010, 07:31 PM
one way that has worked for me is to put the rifle in the frezzer over night.
the next day use a over sized brushin the chamber side .
brass srinks faster than steel.

gerrycan
05-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Hey there guys I have just completed a chamber cast using lead success at last. Thanks to all for your many helpful suggestions. Cheers Gerry