PDA

View Full Version : Lachmiller Lube-a-matic

omgb
08-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I picked up a lachmiller Lube-a-matic today for $50. Looks and feels like new. No doubt, this is the RCBS old style before RCBS bought out Lachmiller. The bullet ejector is different from even my early RCBS unit. Instead of the plate spanning two threaded arms, the bottom of the arms is a continuous "U" shape much like the Lymans. You know, I've never felt the need to adjust the ejector plate on my RCBS II. The question is, who has had to adjust it and for what reason? Is there any advantage to the non-adjustable ejector?

Bent Ramrod
08-02-2006, 11:27 PM
omgb,

I bought my Lachmiller Lube-A-Matic when Lachmiller went out of business in the mid-70's. Mine has two threaded rods attached by bolts to the lever linkage, which extend on each side well below the part of the casting that holds the sizing die. There is a hex nut on each rod, then a flat rectangular plate connecting the rods, then another hex nut, one on each rod. It isn't a one-piece arrangement, like yours, but I've never tried adjusting it up or down. If it was perfect for one die, it would be off for the next one I tried.

I prefer the ejection to stop just short of flush with the sizing die. Most of my dies do this. Then I can center the next bullet more easily in the die. This arrangement is only a disadvantage when I get the odd mold with the insufficient gas check shank diameter. However, I have one die that actually pops the bullet out, and several of them stop flush with the top. If I ever wanted a permanent fix, I'd probably shorten or flatten the bottom of the "I" plunger slightly, on the individual die.

Have you tried the "A-Matic" feature yet? I don't know what size bullet with how many how deep and wide grease grooves they calibrated that pawl for, but I don't think I've found it yet:) .

omgb
08-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Mine doesn't have the "A-Matic" function. Whether it was removed or never had it I sure don't know. I kept looking for it or signs that it was once there but no joy. I'm not sure I would have tried to use it any way... from what I've read it didn't work too well.

Here's a funny thing. The dealer had this press, three Lyman 450s and a newer Lube-A-Matic II. For the others he wanted $75.00 firm. The Lachmiller was just $50.00 so I took it. I got it home, put it in a pan of boiling water and cleaned out the old dried lube. It works perfectly. The old guy who owned it (it was sadly an estate item) took very good care of it. The Lube-A-Matic II press was misg the cross-bar handle on the lube res and it was filled with a home made lube based on axel grease. Let me tell you, that S#*@ was nasty! Who thinks up crazy ideas like that? It might just work but dang, the mess when loading it has got to be huge.

Now why used 450s would have a higher price tag on them i sure don't know. IMHO, the 450 was inferior to the Lube-A-Matic in all of its incarnations, RCBS or Lachmiller. Any way, it's mine now and it works like new. I'm happy and I didn't have to pay shipping or tax.:drinks:

omgb
08-03-2006, 11:26 AM
I tried to buy the new style bullet ejection linkage this AM. RCBS refused to take my money and is sending the parts FOC. Wow, things have changed over there for the better. I always got the pats I needed pretty quickly, but not always for free. This I like.

carpetman
08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
omgb---I have had several dealings with RCBS and they never took money. Even had them send the new stuff and not have to send them the bad---just on my word---that's customer service.

Bent Ramrod
08-03-2006, 11:06 PM
omgb,

If the link on the right side of your Lachmiller has a two-fingered pawl incorporated into it (two vertical prongs behind the link holes, about 3/4" apart, and pointing up), that is the "A-Matic" feature. The rest of the setup was a 1/4" reversible ratchet wrench of the stouter kind available at hardware stores. I wouldn't use the more fragile pressed-steel wrench that comes on the Ideal and Lyman lubrisizers. You just ratchet the piston down on the lube and put the wrench between the prongs of the pawl, and it sort of keeps the pressure up and the lube flowing as you work the lever. Sort of.

I'd be interested in hearing how well the parts interchange between the RCBS and Lachmiller machines. And I concur with you and Carpetman, RCBS's customer support is second to none.

Swagerman
08-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Anyone got a picture of this Lachmiller lube press?

Jim :confused:

omgb
08-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Here's one from a recent auction. The "A-Matic" part is the finger/lever/pawl whatever you see projecting up behind the lube pressure reservoir. Mine does not have this part. It does hoever, have a large metalic paper lable on the front that says it's a Lachmiller and the color is correct.